U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM

7,837 posts, read 11,728,228 times
I'm wondering if you were making a statement or a point Are you thinking this thread has served it's purpose or are you acknowledging it's popularity? Just wondering.

Oh no , mn2co . I absolutely love this thread & I would miss it if it were not here.

I don't mind seeing things repeated because who remembers anything at our age anyway?

Yes , wisteria & I will be getting together soon for our journey to the magical New Mexico. Thanks for the compliment , wisteria, but that is kind of an old photo (about eight years old). I am not a great picture - taker. Maybe in my new life.......with those serene lavender skies as a background.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-11-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 04:54 PM

494 posts, read 932,493 times
Wisteria: "It is a tough decision to move alone as a woman, especially when single and not having a lot of means. I hope that soon .... Nancy Thereader and I will get to meet-up in New Mexico, and then to also meet with DancingEarth! "

Nancy theReader: "Yes , wisteria & I will be getting together soon for our journey to the magical New Mexico."

...ahem...

Old 05-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,356,497 times
Quote:
anomoly:
Wisteria: "It is a tough decision to move alone as a woman, especially when single and not having a lot of means. I hope that soon .... Nancy Thereader and I will get to meet-up in New Mexico, and then to also meet with DancingEarth! "

Nancy theReader: "Yes , wisteria & I will be getting together soon for our journey to the magical New Mexico."

...ahem...
AND ANOMOLY will leave her settled-into home in YUMA to ALSO join us in New Mexico, as soon as we are there.....

Sorry, Anomoly, I know your time frames are switching around a bit, so I wasn't sure what your plans were for a specific time......but you do have the RV, so you could get up there on a moment's notice! At least you don't have to worry about all those plane reservations!

Okay, so, then I think we have Anomoly, Me (Wisteria), Nancy and Dancingearth...trying to coordinate a trip to New Mexico (well, not exactly, since Dancingearth is already there -- but you know what I mean!). In addition, I have made contact with someone else in New Mexico (Las Cruces) who knows the area very well, and also knows of women who are doing something similar to what we want to do -- I hope to be able to get a chance to meet her and see what their activities and groups are like (apparently, they meet regularly for potlucks and art walks, etc.).

So....who else wants to join the New Mexico caravan?? Karcon beat us to it, this time, but the rest of us will get there, too! We will all have to coordinate, and if we can't all meet at the same time, we can also meet up at different points. Anomoly and I have already met, so I feel confident that she will come through for us.....but I have not yet met Nancy in person, nor Dancingearth...and the woman in Las Cruces who has connections in town. Somehow, New Mexico and Las Cruces are tugging at me.

The intention Nancy thereader and I have is to speak with some realtors while we are there.....I am looking for cheap, cheap, cheap, but still safe and nice -- not easy to find, but could be possible!

Alrighty, all aboard for the New Mexico caravan!!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:18 PM

43 posts, read 62,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Molly; I completely understand and empathise with you regarding your current "career" in life. I too was my mother's caretaker (she had dementia/early Alzheimers and suffered from TIA's and many falls). It was the hardest job I ever had but I'm so glad to have had the opportunity not to have had too many regrets looking back. She lived with me for the last year of her life. It was hard, challenging, frustrating, funny, and rewarding. She passed away a year ago,at the age of 90 , peacefully in Hospice. She was only there a week so she did not suffer. Please know there are those of us out there who understand.
I first posted a few months ago and have been reading and catching up. This is a wonderful thread.

Molly and Karcon,
I too was my mother's caretaker for 5+ years. I sold my home in Dallas and moved 200 miles. Although moving and leaving my life was very difficult, I have no regrets. I would do it again. What I have found though is that when you care for someone that long, they become an extension of you and once their gone, it is difficult to think of just yourself. I have total freedom now and can't seem to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life and my remaining good days are ticking by.

M,
I also am thinking of going back to Dallas. Like you stated, there's no state tax plus Dallas gives a property tax exemption for those over 65. I read on CD that some town near Houston gives a huge property tax exemption. The home prices in Dallas increased but haven't fallen during this recent downtown which makes me skeptical of buying. I lived through a housing market crash there that lasted 13 years.

It is hot in Dallas and spending 2-3 months in Colorado appeals to me. I'd like to spend some time in Colorado Springs this summer to determine if summers are cool enough there. I'm having difficulty finding a rental though. Where in Colorado would you recommend?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:29 AM

200 posts, read 223,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
AND ANOMOLY will leave her settled-into home in YUMA to ALSO join us in New Mexico, as soon as we are there.....

Sorry, Anomoly, I know your time frames are switching around a bit, so I wasn't sure what your plans were for a specific time......but you do have the RV, so you could get up there on a moment's notice! At least you don't have to worry about all those plane reservations!

Okay, so, then I think we have Anomoly, Me (Wisteria), Nancy and Dancingearth...trying to coordinate a trip to New Mexico (well, not exactly, since Dancingearth is already there -- but you know what I mean!). In addition, I have made contact with someone else in New Mexico (Las Cruces) who knows the area very well, and also knows of women who are doing something similar to what we want to do -- I hope to be able to get a chance to meet her and see what their activities and groups are like (apparently, they meet regularly for potlucks and art walks, etc.).

So....who else wants to join the New Mexico caravan?? Karcon beat us to it, this time, but the rest of us will get there, too! We will all have to coordinate, and if we can't all meet at the same time, we can also meet up at different points. Anomoly and I have already met, so I feel confident that she will come through for us.....but I have not yet met Nancy in person, nor Dancingearth...and the woman in Las Cruces who has connections in town. Somehow, New Mexico and Las Cruces are tugging at me.

The intention Nancy thereader and I have is to speak with some realtors while we are there.....I am looking for cheap, cheap, cheap, but still safe and nice -- not easy to find, but could be possible!

Alrighty, all aboard for the New Mexico caravan!!
You will just love DE! I think all you women will find you have great compatibility. DE will love to show you around Santa Fe. Be sure she takes you on that special "walk!" I can see it now - Wisteria, NancyTheReader, Anomoly, and DancingEarth - move on down, move on down the road! I should have waited for my trip. Oh, well - have a great time!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:33 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,716,193 times
I want to go play with everybody in Santa Fe but there's way to squeeze it into the budget.
I am looking forward to visting after folks move there.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
'M'

1,413 posts, read 1,342,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmwalk View Post
I first posted a few months ago and have been reading and catching up. This is a wonderful thread.

Molly and Karcon,
I too was my mother's caretaker for 5+ years. I sold my home in Dallas and moved 200 miles. Although moving and leaving my life was very difficult, I have no regrets. I would do it again. What I have found though is that when you care for someone that long, they become an extension of you and once their gone, it is difficult to think of just yourself. I have total freedom now and can't seem to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life and my remaining good days are ticking by.

M,
I also am thinking of going back to Dallas. Like you stated, there's no state tax plus Dallas gives a property tax exemption for those over 65. I read on CD that some town near Houston gives a huge property tax exemption. The home prices in Dallas increased but haven't fallen during this recent downtown which makes me skeptical of buying. I lived through a housing market crash there that lasted 13 years.

It is hot in Dallas and spending 2-3 months in Colorado appeals to me. I'd like to spend some time in Colorado Springs this summer to determine if summers are cool enough there. I'm having difficulty finding a rental though. Where in Colorado would you recommend?
FMWalk...I apologize that I don't yet know everyone's names. About Colorado...I live in Estes Park, the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is beautiful here, the town is less than 7,000. That is, when all the tourists have gone back home. It isn't inexpensive to live here - Colorado is an expensive state - but you could go online to find some rentals, or surf our online newspaper, The Trail Gazette, to see what kinds of rentals are available. You can find anything from just a simple rustic cabin to a full blown condo, apt, or house. Estes Park is less than an hour from Fort Collins, Loveland, or Boulder, Colorado. Denver is less than 2 hours away. Since Estes Park is a tourist town, you will need to like the overcrowded summers...but, to a newbie, you may not even notice...it's very beautiful here with the mountains and brilliant blue skies. Hiking, rock climbing, biking galore. Also pet friendly. Very casual because it's an outdoor state.

A couple other places might be Colo Springs or Glenwood Springs/Grand Junction area. Haven't actually lived there, but both areas have mountains and outdoor activities. Glenwood/Gr Jct are within 1 to 1-1/2 hrs from Aspen, which is a wonderful place to visit as Aspen has lots of summer music/art festivals, and hiking, fishing, etc. Even though Aspen is too expensive to live in, it is close enough to Glenwood/G Jct that you could visit often.

Oh, also want to mention to everyone that Estes is home to the YMCA Camp of the Rockies...you can go there and work summers and get free room and board plus a little bit of pocket money. A lot of retirees go there and spend the summers, and do it regularly each year. It is worth checking out!!! Horseback riding, yoga conferences, a wide variety. I can get phone numbers for you, or just pull up their website.

If you can tell me what you are most interested in activity-wise, I could possibly recommend other areas. The cool thing is, these areas are also great for just hanging out and relaxing. Glenwood has a hot springs/pool that is wonderful, if you are into that sort of thing. To a newcomer who isn't going to spend 12 months in these places, you would probably enjoy them tremendously if you enjoy what they have to offer.

Let me know more what your interests are, and I can try to steer you a bit closer...Hope this is picquing your interest on some level...

Old 05-12-2009, 08:14 PM

7,504 posts, read 5,857,616 times
Wow, awesome that you are following through with your plans and going to New Mexico, just too cool and I'm proud of you gals, as the saying goes, you go girls, a very big woohoo from me!

I had to smile at the repeating, as I have told my story about my quick decision to leave Illinois and move to Wisconsin, many times and probably several on this thread as I check back once in awhile.

I keep mentioning it because I knew not a soul in Two Rivers, I did move closer to my one sister who is in Upper Michigan. It was a cold turkey move and I am happy here. It can be done! Wisconsin isn't exactly a tax friendly state but for me better living environment than Illinois.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM

737 posts, read 526,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
Let me know more what your interests are, and I can try to steer you a bit closer...Hope this is picquing your interest on some level...
Is there any place a bit more urban between Denver and Ft. Collins, with city services, where you can still get a sense of being in the beautiful Colorado mountains, or at least very close to them? Oh yes, it has to be affordable too. LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 PM

5,191 posts, read 3,462,096 times
Terry - The Colorado forum had lots of info on this very subject - Livecontent had a post on this thread around that area - search his posts or search the Colorado forum. Most of the non-ski resort areas are affordable (exception - Boulder) but affordable is really an individual thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement