U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2009, 03:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,085,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Well, I did it. I found my house/townhouse.
Congratulations! Very exciting and I know scary. Doesn't matter how many times I've done it, it always makes me nervous. You will love being in your own place and doing what you want to the place to make it home.

Watch out - fixing it up is addictive. I've been working on my yard all weekend and my hands say stop (hurting) but I don't want to. I'm taking a break before going back out and plant some more things and keep on digging that arroyo. I wento Sam's club and bought their bridge--now I have to dig the arroyo it will go over.

Post pictures! I can't wait to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 07:17 PM

200 posts, read 230,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Congratulations! Very exciting and I know scary. Doesn't matter how many times I've done it, it always makes me nervous. You will love being in your own place and doing what you want to the place to make it home.

Watch out - fixing it up is addictive. I've been working on my yard all weekend and my hands say stop (hurting) but I don't want to. I'm taking a break before going back out and plant some more things and keep on digging that arroyo. I wento Sam's club and bought their bridge--now I have to dig the arroyo it will go over.

Post pictures! I can't wait to see it.
You will have to post photos of your garden work, the bridge and arroyo! I bet it will look amazing!!!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM

375 posts, read 581,913 times
karcon - congratulations! How fun for you once all the details are done.

anomoly - I'm starting to look at RV's - do you have any guidance on where and what to buy? I think it is the perfect "in between" option for me...allowing me to live inexpensively, and to retain portability from east to west while I ferret out decisiosn over the next 2-3 years. Merci.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 AM

84 posts, read 130,731 times
Red face Want to be my friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
... I'll give it a shot if y'all let me be your friend. ... Be kind.
You said it! I just got started catching up with posts and came to the part where you all were talking about 'friending'. I thought, Oh NOOOO! I haven't posted for a long while. They will forget about me. Thanks for not forgetting about me.

mmhere

Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 AM

Hey...I'm catching up. Maybe I'll find an answer by the end, but was wondering if you got your biopsy results back. That's another thing I find I have in common with women our ages -- deteriorating body parts. I'm looking at having several tests done in the next month, along with a few last week. As another friend of mine says: It's time for my cavalcade of doctors!

mmhere

Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 AM

Wink Follow the yellow brick road over the rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
get rid of stuff we might otherwise hang on to, and take that first step down the road. (I just got an mental image of a bunch of people - women - jiggin down some highway to the tune "...get on down, get on down the road...")
Weeeeee're off to see the wizard, the wonderfull wizard of Oz .....

Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 PM

13,383 posts, read 9,859,540 times
Thanks to MN2CO I have had a great time in MPLS. She showed me neighborhoods and where things were and made the beginning of my "where to retire search" very productive. I mastered the skybridges and today traveled out on the light rail to the Mall of America. Tomorrow I will be busing to a couple of museums.

Everyone here has been friendly and helpful from the bemused guards on the skybridges who kept watching me get lost to the waitstaff everywhere to the nice lady at the bus info office. I like to get on a bus or a train to see how to get whereever even if it's the end of the line. I learned a good deal about a town's public transporation that way because I do not drive. All in all I can see myself living here but as I mentioned, my search has just begun.

This has been a great experience. Wednesday it's on to Toronto to visit family.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,656,414 times
Default hey, Minervah!

Isn't the internet divine! I'm off sitting in a small town in western MN getting my uncle's house ready to put on the market. Lots of memories here . When he is able to leave my house he will go to an assisted care center - lots of small town love - poor guy would never say it but he's lonely living alone.

So, I had to leave Minervah to her own devices and you can see what she's capable of!

I thoroughly enjoyed her visit and hope she finds that special place. I hope we all find that special place!

Congrats Karcon - sounded like you really needed to make to move - too many memories.

Our own Martha Stewart - Dancingearth, has got the "bug". Should be darn cute when she's done and when it's all had a chance to settle in over the next couple of years. Good for resale value

Take care, all..... Safe travels, Minervah!! You're one gutsy lady! Early to bed tonight...........

Old 05-18-2009, 07:18 PM

200 posts, read 230,492 times
Quote:
Isn't the internet divine! I'm off sitting in a small town in western MN getting my uncle's house ready to put on the market. Lots of memories here . When he is able to leave my house he will go to an assisted care center - lots of small town love - poor guy would never say it but he's lonely living alone.

So, I had to leave Minervah to her own devices and you can see what she's capable of!

I thoroughly enjoyed her visit and hope she finds that special place. I hope we all find that special place!

Congrats Karcon - sounded like you really needed to make to move - too many memories.

Our own Martha Stewart - Dancingearth, has got the "bug". Should be darn cute when she's done and when it's all had a chance to settle in over the next couple of years. Good for resale value

Take care, all..... Safe travels, Minervah!! You're one gutsy lady! Early to bed tonight...........
MN2CO & Minervah - isn't it great to finally meet and spend time with each other! Meeting lets us connect on a real personal level no matter where we land and beyond the networking.

Am finally beginning to think my new house is going to be a realty. Inspection is set for tomorrow, final paper work ready to give to mortgage company. It's a townhouse so I finally will no longer have to slave in a yard. There is a covered screened porch and garden in the back so just enough to plant a few flowers for color and space for planters to give me the tropical green I love. Wish me luck , just don't want to get ahead of myself and allow to much excitement to creep in.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,085,808 times
Quote:
Isn't the internet divine!

Not so sure about Martha Stewart - does she leave dirty dishes in the sink? I'm too tired to do them tonight.

I never want to start a yard from scratch again unless I had money to hire the labor! Finished planting the plants I bought over the weekend . I'm going to stay away from the nurseries until I get other things done. My goal for the summer is dig the arroyo and line it with river rocks and put together the bridge. I'm tired! Heading to bed too with a good book. Night all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement