Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 11:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times

Advertisements

You inspired me, DE, and I got out there today and got all the Impatiens planted that I bought last week but couldn't plant because it's been raining and got the pots tidied and soil turned over and fertilizer added (no digging in the yard but a lot of big wine barrels and tubs and huge pots).
And potted stuff up for the plant swap next weekend.
I came in pooped and plopped down in front of the TV to be greeted by the news that we've got a freeze warning for tonight.
The impatients are on their own. I'm not covering them up or hauling them all in.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
You inspired me, DE, and I got out there today and got all the Impatiens planted that I bought last week but couldn't plant because it's been raining and got the pots tidied and soil turned over and fertilizer added (no digging in the yard but a lot of big wine barrels and tubs and huge pots).
And potted stuff up for the plant swap next weekend.
I came in pooped and plopped down in front of the TV to be greeted by the news that we've got a freeze warning for tonight.
The impatients are on their own. I'm not covering them up or hauling them all in.
Did they make it? I love impatiens--next year I'm going to try some here.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM

They made it. They'll usually last well into the fall for me, until we have a really hard freeze but being new, I was worried.
I've got very shady growing conditions and they're really the only thing that will bloom for me.
I've found a local nursery that carries a lot of different kinds and colors and sizes. My favorites are the double impatiens with white and green varigated leaves. They look like minature roses.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Did they make it? I love impatiens--next year I'm going to try some here.
Imatiens require lots of water.....

Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Yes, they do and they need shade. I've brought in impatiens in pots to winter over successfully. They make a very nice, if messy, houseplant. I like the doubles too.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
That's why I've never planted them here even though Home Depot/Lowes insists on selling tons of them. Now I have a garden that is in the shade and has clay which holds the water longer I might give it a try.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:10 PM

Put them in pots. I plant mine with Moisture Max potting soil I get at Lowes. It's got those little crystals in it that hold water. Mine do best in the plastic pots. I've got a couple of those cheap round ones that they look really cute in.
This is front and back garden at the condo from a couple of years ago. Things have gotten bigger. I love the water gardens. So easy to care for. No weeding, no watering and birds love them. I'd posted the photos after a plant swap when I had been telling people that you didn't need a big pond to have a water garden. A friend from the swap had helped me set those up the year before.
Garden Fall 2007
Everything in bloom in is an impatien. The varigated doubles are in the hanging baskets in the front.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 PM

205 posts, read 397,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Put them in pots. I plant mine with Moisture Max potting soil I get at Lowes. It's got those little crystals in it that hold water. Mine do best in the plastic pots. I've got a couple of those cheap round ones that they look really cute in.
This is front and back garden at the condo from a couple of years ago. Things have gotten bigger. I love the water gardens. So easy to care for. No weeding, no watering and birds love them. I'd posted the photos after a plant swap when I had been telling people that you didn't need a big pond to have a water garden. A friend from the swap had helped me set those up the year before.
Garden Fall 2007
Everything in bloom in is an impatien. The varigated doubles are in the hanging baskets in the front.
Knoxgarden; your garden is just perfect! I love all the pots, water garden, green, and flowers. Impatiens are one of my favorite and it does grow here in abundance in areas in Central Florida - especially the older areas in Winter Park and Orlando that have huge oak trees that provide lots of shade. As to water, well we have that in abundance too right now. Has been raining nonstop, hard and steady for the last three days. We desperately needed the rain. It feels nice to have gray skies, rainy days - nice and cozy. But I'm beginning to think I'm living in the Pacific Northwest. I could see how months of this might get depressing. But for now our water levels are coming up, lakes and ponds that have been noticeable lower are now coming back up and everything is turning greener than ever!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:42 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default Speaking of flowers........

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...r-ive-been.jpg

Here's my one remaining rhododendron ! There used to be two more, but my neglect caused their demise during my first year on the property

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 PM

Love the garden pictures. I love rhododendrons-can't grow them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement