U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:09 AM

510 posts, read 1,310,525 times

Advertisements

Oh those beautiful Rhodies!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:46 PM

8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
Beautiful yards, knox and coney. Thanks for sharing those photos.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 PM

384 posts, read 878,275 times
Yes knox and coney ... lovely... would love to be your neighbor. I especially enjoy the gardens and flowers in other people's yards because I do not have a green thumb at all.

anomaly is graciously educating me on RV's - it's great!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,965 times
Just checking in -- I now have TWO "For Sale" ("coming soon") signs outside my house! Yep, it's happening. I am a bit worried because I don't yet have my back-up plan in action! Yikes! Open House is May 31st.

I'm pretty zonked out from all the work I've been doing, and I have to leave work early today to meet the photographer -- wouldn't you know it -- just my luck -- it's a CLOUDY day in California!!! The Gods are against me!!

Wish me good luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 AM

510 posts, read 1,310,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
Yes knox and coney ... lovely... would love to be your neighbor. I especially enjoy the gardens and flowers in other people's yards because I do not have a green thumb at all.

anomaly is graciously educating me on RV's - it's great!
Yeah, it's pretty fun for me too! There's alot to learn if you're new to them. I saw one today that I would like...oh darn, can't afford another one!

**Ya know, I was thinkin.... Would anyone be interested in purchasing a small vacation house together? Those Park Model Homes are pretty cute and affordable. If 10 of us went in together @ $5000 a peice, we'd have a $50,000 home to play with! Any takers or possible considerations? We could purchase it anywhere that's practical, in terms of favorite getaways, for meetups, etc.
We'd have to figure out a fee structure, like a timeshare, say $10/day for owners, $20/day for non-owners, could be used to cover annual space rent.
Things are cheap now, only to be higher priced later, which means we could eventually sell it at a profit for all owners to split.
StealthRabbit, what do you think?

Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Default Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Just checking in -- I now have TWO "For Sale" ("coming soon") signs outside my house! Yep, it's happening. I am a bit worried because I don't yet have my back-up plan in action! Yikes! Open House is May 31st.

I'm pretty zonked out from all the work I've been doing, and I have to leave work early today to meet the photographer -- wouldn't you know it -- just my luck -- it's a CLOUDY day in California!!! The Gods are against me!!

Wish me good luck!
Lots of work - congrats on that!! It's tough to have 1 back-up plan when there are so many unknowns - when will your house sell - how much....

Get a Plan A, Plan B and a Plan C. I'm hearing buyers are making all kinds of demands these days, including, "Get out now" (expedited close).

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Yeah, it's pretty fun for me too! There's alot to learn if you're new to them. I saw one today that I would like...oh darn, can't afford another one!

**Ya know, I was thinkin.... Would anyone be interested in purchasing a small vacation house together? Those Park Model Homes are pretty cute and affordable. If 10 of us went in together @ $5000 a peice, we'd have a $50,000 home to play with! Any takers or possible considerations? We could purchase it anywhere that's practical, in terms of favorite getaways, for meetups, etc.
We'd have to figure out a fee structure, like a timeshare, say $10/day for owners, $20/day for non-owners, could be used to cover annual space rent.
Things are cheap now, only to be higher priced later, which means we could eventually sell it at a profit for all owners to split.
StealthRabbit, what do you think?
I'm assuming you'd like an answer: This is something I would not be interested in. I see lots of headaches. Also, a $10/20 per day - there would have to be a bigger difference between owners and non- owners.
Owners have all the expenses/risks factors (ins. taxes, repair, MANY other expenses)

Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 PM

8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
I just wish you the best of luck, wisteria. I know how hard this is for you.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,965 times
Hi, Everyone!

Today, I spent over 6 hours with the realtor and photographer. Apparently, there is going to be a virtual tour and other photos -- we shall see how they turn out. Unfortunately, prices are plummeting FAST! So, I am pretty worried about it. Apparently, according to the realtor, buyers are really giving a hard time. It seems that every week here that the value goes down $10,000 a week! Hard to believe, but true.

I have no idea what will happen, but once the realtor posts the virtual tours on the MLS, I will give you the link to see what it's like (I'm very anxious to see them, too).

I have to accept that the reality is that it may not sell, and if someone offers a price, it may be way too low. So, I have no idea what will happen.

I have done sooooo much labor around here, that I truly cannot do anymore at this point. I guess I will just take the attitude that if it sells at a price that I can afford something in New Mexico, then great. If not, well, I have to prepare myself to just drop dead at my desk!

So, we shall see. The Brokers' walk-through is on Thursday, the 28th, which is also the day I give my last "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain" class and then I will know more of what they think.

Scary stuff, I admit. I never owned and sold a home before, so this is very new to me. I can only hope that the realtor is ethical, and that someone (some angel) comes out and offers a good price. I just don't have a good Plan B at this point, so I am worried. But.....I AM doing it!! I know that I cannot afford to live here in retirement (plus the work with such a large piece of property), so I hope that some young couple (this is my fantasy) with a young son will move into here and be thrilled to have trails to run the dogs on, and lots of opportunities for gardening, etc. It IS a lovely piece of property, but I know that I cannot take care of it through old age....it's just reality.

Hope all of you are doing well. This aging and moving and figuring out where to be and why is quite complicated. I appreciate all the feedback here and all the encouragement that is offered by those who have found the place that they feel most comfortable in!!

That's it for tonight -- I am unplugging my phone and sleeping in on Saturday! It has been a long two months (hard to believe it's only been that long) and I know I have worked very hard to get this place in order. It will be interesting to see the MLS listing....I still don't know how it will show up...let's hope it shows it in a good light.

Thanks for all the encouragement and support --- I appreciate all of you!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Wisteria

Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,891,210 times
Sending as much positive energy as I have your way Wisteria. It's scary, but keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. It's there and you will come out and you will find a beautiful rainbow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement