U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2009, 03:43 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,295,506 times
It's there and you will come out and you will find a beautiful rainbow

Thanks , Knox (even though that wasn't meant for me.... I'll just chime in.....hope you don't mind. )

Yes. wisteria. Right in beautiful New Mexico.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Status: "back to being a 3 dog household" (set 28 days ago)

2,532 posts, read 2,078,085 times
Hello everyone,

This is a great thread. I just discovered it today and skimmed through most of it. I have already made the move and want to say that I hope you each get to make that change and find yourself happier than you expected.

I lived in Oakland, CA for 32 years, retired in Dec 04 and moved in Jan 06. It took me a year to 1.) Decompress from my toxic job, 2.)find the right place for the 3rd half of my life (kinda like the 3rd half of the CarTalk show) and then 3.) quickly turn my sows ear of a house into a silk purse so that it would sell asap since my offer on the house I now live in had been accepted and I had 90 days to close the deal.

My dogs and I had wanted to retire to Mariposa outside Yosemite NP - found the perfect place but the price was far beyond reach and the pups tried to come up with the winning Lotto numbers but Alas, were not sucessful.

I had promised the dogs a place with a stream or a pond for them to swim in and finally accepted the fact that I had to head east of the Mississippi to find affordable land with year round water.

Many friends asked if I was afraid to just move to a place that I had spend only a few days in, knew no one etc. but I really wasn't.

Instant community was easy because I joined the local Humane Society and had about 25 new friends in 2 weeks. I think that everyone who's posted to this thread probably has some type of interest that will allow them to make a connection in their new community. Whether it is something strictly for personal pleasure such a a quilting, gardening or reading group or something that involves you in being a good citizen in your community such as Friends of the Library, a Humane Society or any of the many volunteer organizations found in every town and city.

One of the things that helped me choose this place was that there were several folks who wrote great blogs about living here, the politics of the community, etc. and they all had many fabulous photographs. There are now lots of folks blogging about place, their connection to the land etc.

The only city thing I really miss is easy access to lots of choices of foods - Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc but I get to a larger city often enough to mostly satisfy that need.

ps: Zugor is the name of my goat, he's a rescue, and I walked him in the town's Christmas Parade. Quite a change from Oakland LOL

Old 05-24-2009, 06:14 PM

20 posts, read 36,468 times
divorced but so long ago I'm not sure it counts, no children but the four-pawed kind.Zugor, good post and congratulations on a good move...and I'm sure you noticed that your pets too are in good company on this thread!garden photos: thanks for the beautiful photos - I sooooo yearn for green!Molly, good to know that I am not the only one.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:15 PM

20 posts, read 36,468 times
hey, what happened to my spacing?!

Old 05-24-2009, 08:06 PM

494 posts, read 964,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
I always think of myself as single .. I have to remembe that I am actually divorced - it was so long ago. One child.

DE - I'm not helping anomoly focus on trip preparation ... I've been diverting her attention to finding RV's for me . Boy .. I've learned a lot in one week - anomoly pointed me to all the right places and provided such logical items to think about that were not on my radar screen.

Carlsbad caverens - great! I went there years ago. Actually, there is so much in New Mexico that I'd love to see that I didn't get to the first time - like Chaco canyon. What I do remember about New Mexico was the great and inexpensive food everywhere we went. Love that mexican flavor - and I'm sure this isn't true today but four of us ate for $12.
Miruca, don't kid yourself. I even cancelled an invitation to a party today, claiming I'm getting ready... and I'm uploading pictures. I think there's not much more I can do till the last couple of days--except panic.
My mantra: "I will get out of here, I do know how to do this"

Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,540,305 times
Divorced. Was married for 30 years, 8 months, 2 weeks. Looks like I'm the outlier here. Three adult children, 2 dogs.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 PM

10,949 posts, read 18,093,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
**Ya know, I was thinkin.... Would anyone be interested in purchasing a small vacation house together? Those Park Model Homes are pretty cute and affordable. ...
Things are cheap now, only to be higher priced later, which means we could eventually sell it at a profit for all owners to split.
StealthRabbit, what do you think?
sorry for delay in reply. IMHO...
1) shared ownership can work, but at a cost, so make it something you 'gotta have', with a group that shares the vision (and responsibility)

2) I would avoid an asset that has potential to drain the bank and the crowd (thus I would advise owning the Park, but not the 'park-model'.) The revenue from the park could be paying for 'corporate meetings' in a fun destination, and everyone would get a tax deductible vacation.. oops, I mean business trip .

3) There are some potential bargains, but...I don't think the park model will escalate much in value. I do think the PARK WILL escalate in value, especially with the dynamic resources of this group. You could buy a 'park that needs some work', then spiff it up, get it fully occupied and cash flowing very pretty, and investors will be clamoring at your door for buying it in the future. I would recommend buying a park in the $300-$500k range, getting it spiffed and fully rented with fixed homes filled with seniors, and then keep it for revenue, or sell it for profit to move on to next project. once you do a few of these you will get very good at it and make a good 'retirement income'.

It is not difficult for a group to get together and fund a $300-$500k park, as the numbers will probably let you get it for 30% down, and when you get it 'optimized' it will be throwing off a nice chunk of change allowing you gals to 'live RIGHT' You could initially chose to live on site to get it all dolled up, and eventually transition to the place of your choosing, and sell via an 'owner contract' on your mobile home. (Hint, you can get very nice deals on mobile homes that have to be moved, or are in distress (park being sold and no place to move). It would be reasonable to expect you could get into one for under $30k, and spiff it in your nice park and get $50-60K on a 'contract sale'. (This would be 'Tax-free' gain.) When you sell the park ti will be long term capital gains, so cheap tax, or you can do a 1031 conversion into another 'distressed' park (If there are any left) . I will venture to guess Mobile home parks will be highly desirable 'inflation protected' investments. (as they have been for years.)

Maintenance does not have to be a burden, as you can 'dedicate' the streets and utilities to the city, and they will no longer be your responsibility. There are often residents who are happy to handle any other management issues and keep the place looking good. I offer discounts to tenants who pay via 'autopay' / direct deposit, thus you can live in Tahiti and own one of these.

Fractional ownership might work best for that 'beachhouse" on a beautiful spot (Tho I would still consider 'renting' a beach house, as they often are empty... it is better that your assets are 'working', rather than 'resting')

Old 05-24-2009, 11:21 PM

378 posts, read 594,510 times
Zugor - welcome! What great story inspiring story you have. You may well be starting up a new contingent on here for looking at Floyd Co, VA. I am interested to know what are the politics of the place? I love to hear west to east stories because I just know I'll end up east at least part of the time... and I'm not looking forward to it. So, when someone from the west is happy with their move east it makes feel like perhaps it is possible that I'd be fine.

StealthR - great idea but it sounds like work to me and we'd have to cooperate with so many people to bring the project to fruition. Perhaps I can do that after I've had some time off from my job - but not sure I want to dive into a major project requiring that much decision making and cooperation right away!

Anomoly - I am a last minute Annie myself ... with the best of intentions that most oft go awry. Most likely you will make it with a mad flurry of last minute action. Good luck! Oh .. btw - picked up a book at the friends of the library today... "everything you need to know about buying and having a motor home". Light reading for the evening. I am immersed in this topic.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 AM

10,949 posts, read 18,093,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Oh those beautiful Rhodies!!!
whoa, what a fast moving thread... I updated my 'flower' album with a few Rhodies
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...s-flowers.html
They are in fine shape this year. Granted the rhodies at http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...ction=ViewPark are 20-40' tall !

Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Status: "back to being a 3 dog household" (set 28 days ago)

2,532 posts, read 2,078,085 times
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Is there a way to save a post that I'm typing if I want to stop and return to it later or am simply writing something long and it takes me some time. I ask because I was just about finished with a rather long post when it disappeared on me. Don't know if it was something I did with my computer or this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement