U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:25 AM

10,134 posts, read 12,387,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I'm on my own and very happy in Knoxville, TN. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and spent my working life in Washington, D.C. and some in south Georgia.
Everyone has their own idea of what's perfect and funny you should mention Knoxville because that is where I looked first. But Knoxville does get snow and I don't want to see another snowflake for as long as I live. Matter of fact I would prefer temperatures that never drop below 50.

I love Thomasville, Georgia it's located in South Georgia 10 miles or so north of the Florida state line so you avoid Florida cost of living with high property taxes and outrageous (hard to get in some areas regardless of how much you are willing to pay) homeowner insurance rates.

For a big town Tallahassee is 30 - 40 minutes away by four lane highway so if it's a large college town with book stores and coffee shops then Tallahassee is where you want to go.

Georgia property taxes are laughably low and what I used to pay every three months up north takes care of me for a year here.

Cost of housing is cheap, you can get a wonderful place to live starting around $125k. For $150k you can get a great place to live.

If you like golf country club rates are extremely low.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:44 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Tesaje and MN2CO thanks for letting me know it's not just my baaddd computer karma. Really - the IT guys at my job used to wonder what I had done to crash the whole network, said it couldn't/shouldn't have happened but I manged it more than once. Without even trying.

Thinking I might try a blog here so I can write lots about living in this place, my work with dogs, etc and maybe even try to post some pix of same.
The blog is a good idea! I volunteered at a local no-kill shelter for 2 years. My problem was I fell in love with every one of those little sweeties - hard to let them go - and then I'd worry - "Are they treating them well..........................................." Not sure if I'm cut out to get that close to individual dogs. I aged 10 years in those 2 years.

Now, speaking of dogs - one is headed for the dog house: I just came in for a break from mowing. I had a storm window (I have these wonderful windows that you put on from the inside - cuts my heating bills in half) - I thought I had it protected from Mr rambuncious - well there it was on the floor - smashed. Dog is fine, at least he is now (OK - he got yelled at)

What's a girl to do........................

Old 05-25-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Funny, I was also married for nine years, and still keep in touch with my ex, who is remarried. We definitely are better as Email friends than spouses.
(He comes from a foreign country, and we met in Africa on a job)
I'm looking at CO - lived in Denver for 2 years (transferred back to Mpls due to a special assignment) and loved it. Considering I was alone, freshly divorced - I felt instantly at home. Not one moment of home sickness - I had a lot of family & friends come for visits so I'm sure that was 1 reason why.

Where in CO are you looking? I PM'd 50/50 with the same question - maybe she can copy and paste her response (I'd do it for you 50/50 with your permission). It sounds like it may have been the specific location she was in.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post

Where in CO are you looking? I PM'd 50/50 with the same question - maybe she can copy and paste her response (I'd do it for you 50/50 with your permission). It sounds like it may have been the specific location she was in.
I'm looking at the Denver to Ft. Collins area, with Ft. Collins looking best for the moment. I hope 50/50 will share her response to you here.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 PM

189 posts, read 637,899 times
Quote:
I live in So. Arizona and am looking to move to another state. Colorado is high on my list, so I'm wondering where you are there, and what changes make you dislike it now?

I've been in AZ for 26 years but also find it is no longer attractive to me.
The natural part of Colorado hasn't changed -- the rivers, mountains, etc. I enjoyed it as a tourist, but find living here is a lot different, especially if you live in a small town like Montrose where I'm currently at.
The attitudes of the natives towards newcomers leave a lot to be desired, plus they have no conception of other states, current events, attitudes different from theirs, and so on. There are a lot of beautiful towns here to live in if you are wealthy, but since I'm not, I'm looking elsewhere. There's no perfect place, including Arizona. It sounds like you need a change, and so do I. Whether you will be happy in Colorado depends on what you want -- only you can judge.

If you've never lived in Colorado, it's very possible that you would be perfectly happy with some of the towns I am not happy with now. That's because I first saw some of these towns in the early 70's before they exploded with people and retail. I miss the way they used to be. I want to go somewhere now where I have no preconceived notions. Prescott Valley used to be a sleepy little town in the early 90's; now it has doubled in population and is a busy place. But since I don't remember it's former years, the new stuff doesn't bother me. I'm just a victim of remembering what Colorado was like 35+ years ago, and I don't care for the changes. You may see it in a different light than I do.

I'm a skier, so am very happy during ski season, but I feel lost here the rest of the year. Montrose sits in view of the gorgeous 14,000-foot San Juan Range, but it's still a pain to get to hiking and other outdoor activities on a daily basis.

I'm attracted to places like Prescott, AZ, because they have a lot of things to do that are close-in to where people live. For example, I have a friend there who goes to one of several local lakes to kayak, and while I was there last week, he drove me around to show me how short a drive I would have to beautiful hiking trails nearby without driving 30 or more miles to the trailheads. The town (actually Prescott AND Prescott Valley) also offers all the comfort perks like shopping, restaurants, beautiful parks, dog parks, ice skating rinks, and many opportunities for classes at local colleges. The housing is reasonable (more so now because of the downturn), and the taxes are low. What more could I want.

My Dad lived in Tucson the last 3 years of his life and really liked it, so I guess I just feel a sort of kinship with Arizona that I wouldn't feel with states like, for example, Utah or New Mexico -- and many others. I do not want to move back into humidity or tornado alley. The East Coast, where I'm originally from, is not even on my radar screen. Florida? No way. West Coast? Too much mist and rain. Northern-tier states? Too cold too long. Texas? Been there, done that -- too hot, high taxes, bugs. Carolinas? Can't grab on to those states, culture-wise. I used to live in Michigan when I worked, but the good life I knew there is gone, and so I've nixed moving back there (you can never go home again, right?).

Anyway, I hope I've answered some of your "wonderings."

Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I'm looking at CO - lived in Denver for 2 years (transferred back to Mpls due to a special assignment) and loved it. Considering I was alone, freshly divorced - I felt instantly at home. Not one moment of home sickness - I had a lot of family & friends come for visits so I'm sure that was 1 reason why.

MN2CO -- I have no problem with your copying/pasting that PM response of mine to here. Be my guest.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at the Denver to Ft. Collins area, with Ft. Collins looking best for the moment. I hope 50/50 will share her response to you here.
MN2CO will probably cut and paste my PM response to her for you on here soon.

I was also looking at Ft. Collins. By the way, I agree with MN2CO's assessment that maybe my problem with CO has to do with my specific location at the moment. I used to live in the Grand Junction area before moving to Montrose, and it was much better up there from the standpoint of things to do -- and it's even better now. In August of '04, I decided on a whim to move to Montrose to be closer to the mountains, but it was one of the more idiotic things I've done in my life. This town is dead. I might yet move back to Grand Junction instead of chancing Arizona, but just haven't made up my mind for sure yet.

A word about the natives of anywhere, not just Colorado: if you live in small towns, you will have to deal with them a lot. But if you live in bigger towns like Ft. Collins, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, Denver.......you will hardly notice them.

But back to Ft. Collins............I've never heard a bad thing about that town. The only reason I haven't gotten serious about it is because it's not convenient to skiing. When I lived in Grand Junction (Palisade actually), skiing was 28 miles from my house. Now I go 94 miles, which is ridiculous considering this IS Colorado. So why would I consider Arizona in light of the fact I'm a skier? Because I would have a better life in the off-ski-season, which is about 9 months, so it would be a trade-off. Plus, I can still ski up near Flagstaff, but it's a hike to get there, so I'd probably want to do overnighters instead of day trips. Overnighters are a pain since I have two shelties, and I don't like to leave them in kennels where they miss me and don't eat properly. Hang up my skis forever? I've thought about it, but it would be a hard choice. Skiing is my biggest motivator to stay fit, plus I really love the slopes on those clear, blue-sky days.

Colorado Springs is also a nice place with beautiful views, good weather, and convenient to the interstate, especially if going south to places like New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona holds any interest for you. If you're not a skier, it could be a good choice as a home base.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Tesaje and MN2CO thanks for letting me know it's not just my baaddd computer karma. Really - the IT guys at my job used to wonder what I had done to crash the whole network, said it couldn't/shouldn't have happened but I manged it more than once. Without even trying.

Thinking I might try a blog here so I can write lots about living in this place, my work with dogs, etc and maybe even try to post some pix of same.
Please do!

Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,221 times
Default Where?

Quote:
I live in So. Arizona and am looking to move to another state. Colorado is high on my list, so I'm wondering where you are there, and what changes make you dislike it now?

I've been in AZ for 26 years but also find it is no longer attractive to me.
Where are you in So. AZ? I will be going through there next week on my way to New Mexico.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 PM

here's the copy/paste of 50/50s msg:

I will try to get my ideas across, although it's difficult to put it into words.

Colorado is a beautiful state -- lots of people would give their right arm to live here. The mountains and other natural things are what they've always been -- spectacular, but you already know that.

Here's the thing:

If I were just coming to Colorado for the first time without having seen it in the 70's, I think my attitude would be different. But I've seen too many changes -- I just "hurt" for the old days before they built all the amenities for the rich people and yuppies. Take Durango -- it used to be a relatively quiet western town. Now it's full of golf courses, new retail, and condos. It bothers me to see what it's become.

Like you, I also worked in Denver -- for 11 years between '82 and '93. I do miss the work contacts, and I think that's the problem -- I miss the contacts. I'm 63, mostly alone, and I don't fit in much. Most people my age are either still working or they have grandkids. I don't identify at all with the "grandkid" scene, nor does the topic interest me, except I don't mind hearing about my friends' grandkids, to an extent.

I've thought about leaving the Western Slope (I live in Montrose right now) and returning to Denver, or trying Ft. Collins or Colorado Springs. The latter two are good towns, so I've heard, but the houses are still overpriced for the age they are. I like newer houses because of fewer maintenance problems and lower insurance rates. Older houses, however, have more charm usually, and the landscaping is mature. I'm tired of buying trees which I never stay long enough to see grow high (awkward sentence there, but you get the point, I'm sure).

I'm looking for a town where I don't have to drive too far to get to hiking and fishing....stuff like that. I also want to be able to get outside year-round, and that is the pull of Prescott, AZ, for me. The one big disadvantage is not having good skiing within a reasonable drive. Ft. Collins and CO Springs are not good for a skiers either, even though they are in Colorado. The slopes are too far away for a comfortable day trip. Still, I am thinking I should not structure my whole life around a sport I can only pursue 3 or 4 months a year. You have to decide what activities you're interested in and how well your prospective town meets your "proximity" requirements and so forth.

I also require amenties like shopping, hospitals, some entertainment, colleges where I can take courses, other single retired people to go on outings with. My current town has the hospital, but not much else. The people here are either locals who don't know how to relate to people from other parts of the country, or they are very rich people newcomers who live in the McMansions with motorhome garages, and I have nothing in common with them. I've met some single women here, but most of them are drinkers and still into "finding a man." I'm into neither of those pursuits.

The biggest thing wrong with Colorado is that it's too expensive in most areas. You can find cheap housing -- but not in the areas that offer anything worthwhile. If you want amenities and municipal utilities, you will pay. If I were to win the LOTTO, I'd be packing for Aspen or some other ski town, but I'm sure that idea will remain a dream. Even then, I wonder how happy I'd be in a place like Aspen after the snow melts each spring.

Actually, I was thinking about bailing out of the west altogether and going somewhere like, for instance, Kansas City where you can buy a gorgeous house with a finished basement for well under $200K. But.......on further research, I found out that their property taxes are high, and insurance rates would be over the top for me because they are in tornado alley. Here in Montrose, I have a 2-year old home with $1100 annual property taxes. In KC, I'd be paying $3K or more in taxes on a comparable house. I just have a problem with high property taxes, especially having lived in the Austin, TX, area where they tax people to death. They'll brag they have no state income tax, but don't fall for it.

There's no perfect place anywhere. Seriously, I am uneasy about leaving Colorado because I fear I will miss it like I did when I moved to Texas for 7 years in the 90's. But what good is sitting here in a town that is not suited for a person of my age and station (retired) just to say I live in Colorado. I've always considered it a privilege to live here, but I've had a melancholy come over me since coming back here in 2000 that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not sure it's Colorado or my own regrets about losing so many of my good friends and relatives. My Dad, who was my best friend, died in '94 right before I retired, and life has never been the same since for me.

You alone have to make those pro and con lists on paper and in your head and make the best decision you can. Heck, I even thought about your state of MN, but it's just too darned cold up there. It's a pretty state, though. All the states are good if you take away the mess humans have made of them. I think Colorado has a special aura about it because it's the highest-elevation state, but I think a green meadow or wheat prairie in Kansas is just as beautiful as a 14,000-foot mountain. You can enjoy a green meadow close-up, but the big mountains in Colorado are distant and hostile to most people unless you're a die-hard, all-season mountain climber. I've said many times that I'd rather live in a more friendly state and just have a gorgeous painting of the Rockies on my wall.

Ask me anything you want if I haven't done a good job answering your "wonderings" about Colorado. I will try to help you if I can. Trying to help you forces me to think more about what I really want too. I've lived in Colorado a total of 20 years (interrupted by the 7 TX years), so I should have something concrete to say. Not knowing you, I don't know what you want or need from a place. Tell me more about your requirements if you want, and I'll try to get more specific.

50/50 - I really understand about your dad. There's a hugh hole that nothing will ever fill - let's hope you find something or someone to help fill it. Maybe that's what you're searching for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement