U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi Everyone,

Well, the deed is done....my house is listed.
Congratulations! What a relief it must be. The place looks awesome. I have a good feeling about it. Better start looking for that rental with pets. Whenever I looked for houses to buy I couldn't believe how people didn't get rid of stuff or put it in storage. Your place looks fantastic. A rental will be a nice relief from all the work. You will be free to do anything you want because you won't have a house to work on!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
UPDATE: The "looker" just came through and I could tell right off that she is not a mountain person. I think she wants a cheap house, and this area is "cheap" for here, but she was dressed to the hilt with high heels and all, and had kind of a hard look to her. Her mother, on the other hand, who came with her, was more like us -- she seemed very down-to-earth and nice. (The mom was our age.) The mom noticed all the little things around the property....but the daughter....I think she is looking for a modern condo-type thing, but out here where it's cheap. Unfortunately, she is not going to find that here. I kind of felt bad for her because I could see she wasn't a mountain/country person. Oh, well. The realtor, I could see, was discouraged, too -- I think he had seen that look on her face before....

But it's okay. Tomorrow is the Brokers' Open House, so I will be at my house until 9:30 when they arrive and then go to work -- it lasts from 9:30-Noon, I think. Then Sunday is the "real" Open House. You definitely have to like nature and not be uptight to live here!

At least the realtor was excited, so that means more of them may also feel it's a nice spot to see. Who knows? Fortunately, I don't have to move and am not desperate, like so many who owe a fortune on their homes and are in foreclosure or have no equity.

I did, though, get my St. Joseph's statue from the local Catholic store, and put it in my garden -- the woman there said he didn't need to be "buried," so I put him out in my alter-type area in the old redwood stump. There's an angel there, too, so he should feel comfortable!

And that's the update. Keep the good thoughts coming. I think the mom would've taken the place, but the daughter and mom seemed like worlds apart. I'm still hoping for that nice family with a little kid and a dog!

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the kind words!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 PM

384 posts, read 877,571 times
Enchanting - Wisteria, it must be a bittersweet feeling to take this step to sell this dream like environment.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,794 times
Default From maui to san antonio

Any have any info on retiring to San Antonio Tx on $1500 per month. Will I be able to live in a safe neighborhood. Maybe get a part time job. Maybe find the love of my life. I'm moving from Maui so will I be in culture shock. I am a single female haloe.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
I know I've said this before, wisteria, but lots of hugs and best wishes coming all the way from across the country. You really did a wonderful job getting your place ready for sale.

I think I'll get a Saint Joseph statue , too!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 PM

84 posts, read 191,432 times
Nope. Never been married, have no kids.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
UPDATE: The "looker" just came through and I could tell right off that she is not . I did, though, get my St. Joseph's statue from the local Catholic store, and put it in my garden -- the woman there said he didn't need to be "buried," so I put him out in my alter-type area in the old redwood stump. There's an angel there, too, so he should feel comfortable!
Maybe my sister got it wrong but when we went to sell our mom's house she was told to get St. ANTHONY and bury him upside down in the front yard of the vacant house. She did that late one night and one of the neighbors thought she was breaking in and called the police.lol,,,,she tried explaining but with the neighbors she'll never live it down..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Quote:
Newenglandgirl: Maybe my sister got it wrong but when we went to sell our mom's house she was told to get St. ANTHONY and bury him upside down in the front yard of the vacant house. She did that late one night and one of the neighbors thought she was breaking in and called the police.lol,,,,she tried explaining but with the neighbors she'll never live it down..
That's funny! I have no idea who St. Anthony is, but when I went to the Catholic store in town, they actually had KITS of St. Joseph statues -- in all sizes, along with a prayer to use, and instructions of what to do with him. Apparently, burying him is not necessary -- you can bury, put him in front of the house, in the house, etc.

The woman in the store explained that St. Joseph is a carpenter and guardian of homes, so, therefore, that is why people use him. However, she also added a disclaimer and said, "Whatever is God's will is what will be....."
But I still got the little statue, anyway!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
More good vibes..................your hard work will pay off - HANG ON TO YOUR BEST FFRIENDS!!!!
Wisteria
I agree, I can't understand letting go of your animals IN ADDITION to your house, you know how I feel about the potency of experiencing LOSS. Don't get rid of what you don't have to!
Your house looks exactly as I remember it--completely enchanting! I loved my stay there!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:46 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
This shoud be good for a few laughs:

This week has been one of those weeks. I tried to find a new battery for my Miata since it's 7 years old and even though it took a charge, because it's old, I didn't trust that I wouldn't be sitting somewhere stranded. Well, Miata batteries "are special". Oh, but of course They are totally sealed (they are in the trunk and not the engine and have a special vent system). I drove all over trying to find one but finally did (major $$) - OK, deed done.

Today, I loaded the dryer and went to turn it on - dead -nadda, nothing. For a few minutes I sounded like a drunken sailor. I was so frustrated I went for a ride around one of the lakes (it usually calms me down).

I went back to the dryer - turned it on and YEA - it works!!!!!!!! The first time I forgot to set the timer, and it won't work without it. Dumbo! I've never done this before - is this a SIGN?

Gorgeous weather - I'm off to play outside. Have a nice weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.