U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 PM

494 posts, read 977,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
i hate to be a downer, but i've lived in the phoenix metro area for 23 years and i never adjusted to living in the desert and i can't wait to leave!!! originally from wisconsin, i can't wait to move to upstate ny to get back to the 4 seasons, real trees, rivers and lakes, old architecture and quaint towns. the southwest is not my cup of tea.
You're not a downer, at all, ms artyst! That's what you prefer. I know, for me, Oregon is beautiful, but all those trees make me claustrophobic! That's in addition to all the rain.
I like it hot, or at least warm, and dry.
Albuquerque has been mentioned, and even though it's colder than I'd like, I do like the city, and it is warm in the summer, and I would compromise.

Of course, Wisteria posted pics of Moab, which is still my favorite, even though it's coooold in the winter. Some call it hot in the summer, but since I'm a 'desert person', I doubt I'd be shocked.
They told me that about Tucson too, and it was much cooler than Palm Springs, or Phoenix.
This diversity is good for all of us.
(byw) nobody liked my pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM

314 posts, read 561,869 times
I did like your pictures anomaly! I'm one of those drawn to the Pacific Northwest coast area, but I've loved travelling through New Mexico and would definitely visit this area based on your pictures.

Ran onto an interesting item on the Escapees RV Forum regarding a man trying to get a co-op together to purchase land between Silver City and Deming for an RV park. Hot Springs RV Resort The place sounds really interesting with hot springs and some facilities already existing on site (a few pictures included). It's a large parcel of land. Maybe a parcel split could be done to meet the purposes of our New Mexico contingent and still leave a buffer of space. The only thing is it might be a bit too distant from town for those that want to be close to services. Kinda cool though!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,605,842 times
Quote:
Anomoly: (byw) nobody liked my pics?
Absolutely! That's why I stuck the one of the hot springs there with all the colors! I think you had posted some on another thread....I recognized some of them. Oh, no, they are wonderful -- love the colors!

Quote:
artyst: i hate to be a downer, but i've lived in the phoenix metro area for 23 years and i never adjusted to living in the desert and i can't wait to leave!!! originally from wisconsin, i can't wait to move to upstate ny to get back to the 4 seasons, real trees, rivers and lakes, old architecture and quaint towns. the southwest is not my cup of tea.
Artyst, are you a single woman looking to retire, too? I'm from New York State, originally, and having lived out west for so long, I would no longer want to go back there. The memories of warm summers is nice, but I moved back a couple of times here and there, and that solved it for me. The bugs, the humidity, the rain, the snow....I have grown used to nice weather, few bugs, low humidity, and lots of sun. But some people feel great back there, so you will probably be very happy there! Good luck to you!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 PM

314 posts, read 561,869 times
Wisteria, I loved your photos also!

Can't you just imagine your herb/art garden down the way from the hot springs?

What an interesting and inspiring thread you started. Did you have any idea it would stir this much response?

I won't be able to move for awhile as I'm honored to be a caretaker for my mom in this early phase of my retirement. Therefore, I've been able to visit other parts of the country vicariously through the comments of all the contributors here.

Thanks to all ladies who've shared their plans and past experiences.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM

21 posts, read 39,319 times
Default Newbie from Tucson looking for ecovillage community

I just came across this forum -- WOW! This topic is on every un-partnered woman's mind that I know, but my friends aren't ready for this kind of move yet.

I'll be 60 in July and live in Tucson. I love the desert. I'm from New York and moved to New Mexico in 1990 and fell in love with the southwest. The openness, the sun, the rawness. The power and wildness of the monsoons. I love loving rain! I've been in Arizona since '99.

I'm an artist, was an acupuncturist. Have been taking care of elderly parents for the past couple of years and am in the process of re-inventing myself. Have been pretty nomadic, but am ready to land and settle in community in the southwest or high desert areas of Oregon or Washington.

It feels important, especially for those of us without children or partners, to come together in community and learn to take care of each other and plan for different levels of care as we age.

I want to join or create an ecovillage community in a rural but accessible location. No more than an hour or so from services and culture. Eco-village in the sense of living as much as possible off-the-grid with solar or wind energy, alternative septic systems, water catchment systems and building with earth-friendly and non-toxic materials. And growing veggies. The "look" of this kind of community can range from quite funky to very artistic and creative to more traditional and elegant. I've been researching a lot over the past couple of months and was about to buy land in Arivaca, AZ, about an hour and a half from Tucson, which is a very small, eclectic but quite close-knit community.

The land already had two almost finished earthen houses, completely off-the-grid with solar power. It was 4+ acres with room for more buildings. Then I decided it wasn't yet time and also that I didn't want to start this all alone or re-invent the wheel.

I either want to form a like-minded group of women (or a mixed group) or find a compatible existing community to join. I need to be here in Tucson for now because my father is still alive but am definitely open to relocating. Moab sounds good, Las Cruces, Silver City, NM, near Flagstaff or Prescott...one of the small communities near Santa Fe or Albuquerque, Bend Oregon area. Someplace not too cold, not too hot. Tucson is too hot in the summer. Arivaca is about 10 degrees cooler as is Oracle, also about an hour from Tucson. Or Bisbee, Wilcox...

So I'm so happy to have found this forum!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,605,842 times
Quote:
desert_spirit:
WOW! This topic is on every un-partnered woman's mind that I know, but my friends aren't ready for this kind of move yet.

It feels important, especially for those of us without children or partners, to come together in community and learn to take care of each other and plan for different levels of care as we age.
Welcome!! Another eastcoast person who fell in love with the southwest!
Most of the places you named are places I, too, would be interested in.

Anomoly has taken the initiative to compile info about us -- we are looking to get together or otherwise communicate as a group -- whether they be separate groups according to area, or one group.

I think we have something we can really work with. Anomoly suggested getting together this summer, although I am not sure I can do that this year -- I was there last year (bad timing). Maybe I could do something in September, but not this summer, unfortunately.....

I just turned 60, and I am ready to put my house on the market (anyone know of any younger families wanting a house by the ocean -- Santa Cruz -- but in the country with lots of land for pets and kids??)....and have to do that in order to leave here. I figure another year or two....hopefully less, but who knows with the economy right now?

I also lived in Phoenix and worked at a large holistic clinic there (A.R.E. Clinic). Right now, I am more interested in New Mexico -- it feels like a good place to retire!

Keep up with the thread, and let's see what we can do!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM

7,861 posts, read 12,522,842 times
I'm so happy to have found this forum!

well, welcome , desert spirit. I enjoyed your post of learning to love the serenity and the beauty of the desert . That is how so many people come to feel.

It has been so wet and cold here this spring in New York. My whole being is just aching for sun and warmth.

I just received in the mail a whole packet about Las Alturas in Almagordas. Does anyone know where that is , exactly? The houses look beautiful, but I don't think that prices were listed (never a good sign).

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
I did like your pictures anomaly! I'm one of those drawn to the Pacific Northwest coast area, but I've loved travelling through New Mexico and would definitely visit this area based on your pictures.

Ran onto an interesting item on the Escapees RV Forum regarding a man trying to get a co-op together to purchase land between Silver City and Deming for an RV park. Hot Springs RV Resort The place sounds really interesting with hot springs and some facilities already existing on site (a few pictures included). It's a large parcel of land. Maybe a parcel split could be done to meet the purposes of our New Mexico contingent and still leave a buffer of space. The only thing is it might be a bit too distant from town for those that want to be close to services. Kinda cool though!
I'll respond with separate posts, rather than multiquote.
First of all, I'm a little embarrased. Last night, after some wine...... well, I guess my insecurity came out, and I needed a shameless plug for my pics.
Aren't we funny?
I guess it shows what I need most: laughter and companionship!
Guess I better stay away from the keyboard when the wine is flowing!

Mollyblythe, I just barely looked at the RV Resort, and it confirmed my guess: It's Faywood Hot Springs, and I've been there a couple of times, while camping next door at City of Rocks State Park. It's very cool, and has a long history. I was surprised to see it for sale as offered, but I really want to look into that site, and see what they're offering. Thanks for posting the link!
What I remember was I thought they charged way too much, whether to camp or just soak. But, it's a very cool place. It's definitely out in the middle of nowhere, but I think it's only about 20 miles south of Silver City, and probably 25 miles north of Deming. Deming, a dusty little town, but has everything you need, and is on I-10.
And that area gets very hot in the summer.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM

[quote=desert_spirit;3470296]I just came across this forum -- WOW! This topic is on every un-partnered woman's mind that I know, but my friends aren't ready for this kind of move yet.

I'll be 60 in July and live in Tucson. I love the desert. I'm from New York and moved to New Mexico in 1990 and fell in love with the southwest. The openness, the sun, the rawness. The power and wildness of the monsoons. I love loving rain! I've been in Arizona since '99.
That's a good description of a 'desert lover'!

I'm an artist, was an acupuncturist. Have been taking care of elderly parents for the past couple of years and am in the process of re-inventing myself. Have been pretty nomadic, but am ready to land and settle in community in the southwest or high desert areas of Oregon or Washington.
That's the statement that keeps running through my head: "I'm in the process of re-inventing myself" --glad you stated it too!
Wonderful statement, and I agree, but I really think I'm even more simple than that: I want a like-minded community to laugh, talk, create. That's the main thing missing from my life, and the main thing I need to bring me back to life!

I want to join or create an ecovillage community in a rural but accessible location. No more than an hour or so from services and culture. Eco-village in the sense of living as much as possible off-the-grid with solar or wind energy, alternative septic systems, water catchment systems and building with earth-friendly and non-toxic materials. And growing veggies. The "look" of this kind of community can range from quite funky to very artistic and creative to more traditional and elegant. I've been researching a lot over the past couple of months and was about to buy land in Arivaca, AZ, about an hour and a half from Tucson, which is a very small, eclectic but quite close-knit community.

The land already had two almost finished earthen houses, completely off-the-grid with solar power. It was 4+ acres with room for more buildings. Then I decided it wasn't yet time and also that I didn't want to start this all alone or re-invent the wheel.
That's the main thing stopping me: doing it alone, and re-inventing the wheel. That's why I feel so compelled to take this forum to the next level. I think the hardest thing about making this a reality, is finding the right people, in the right place, at the right time.

I either want to form a like-minded group of women (or a mixed group) or find a compatible existing community to join. I need to be here in Tucson for now because my father is still alive but am definitely open to relocating. Moab sounds good, Las Cruces, Silver City, NM, near Flagstaff or Prescott...one of the small communities near Santa Fe or Albuquerque, Bend Oregon area. Someplace not too cold, not too hot. Tucson is too hot in the summer. Arivaca is about 10 degrees cooler as is Oracle, also about an hour from Tucson. Or Bisbee, Wilcox...
So I'm so happy to have found this forum![/quote]

I'm happy you found this forum too!
I highlighted the parts that spoke most to me, although I'm inspired by everything you said.
And, if you've noticed, for whatever reason, more than a couple of us have indicated Arizona is not on our wish list.
I do like Bisbee, and Arivaca has potential, but I don't want anything to do with that state.
New Mexico, Southern Utah, and of course, California, but CA is cost-prohibitive.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I think we have something we can really work with. Anomoly suggested getting together this summer, although I am not sure I can do that this year -- I was there last year (bad timing). Maybe I could do something in September, but not this summer, unfortunately.....
I think September is about the best month anywhere you go, but timing is especially important in the southwest. If we meet in a SW desert area, October is probably the best, and I'm game.
I just turned 60, and I am ready to put my house on the market (anyone know of any younger families wanting a house by the ocean -- Santa Cruz -- but in the country with lots of land for pets and kids??)....and have to do that in order to leave here. I figure another year or two....hopefully less, but who knows with the economy right now?
Ya know, Wisteria, I keep wondering why we don't just move to YOUR property!! My Goodness, think about it: 1) house by the ocean in Santa Cruz; 2) in the country with lots of land for pets and.. people. WOW!
I also lived in Phoenix and worked at a large holistic clinic there (A.R.E. Clinic). Right now, I am more interested in New Mexico -- it feels like a good place to retire!

Keep up with the thread, and let's see what we can do!
Wisteria, you've got a pot of gold!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement