U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,060,909 times

Advertisements

This took a gloomy turn. You know what they say. Plan to live to 100 but live like you'll die next year. They say if you can get thru your 60's healthy, then your prospects for a long life a pretty good. It is so sad to lose a friend.

Wisteria - your house will sell. It may take some time but it will sell. It just needs the right buyer. Don't forget, in the meantime, you live in a place lots of people would kill to live in. Enjoy it while you are there even while planning what comes next.

In my retirement class, they said that most people take the SS at 62 because it takes some 16 years to make back the difference in payments you would have gotten if you waited until the later ages for more. My mother has been happy living on just a little, tho it is better now that she gets what my father got. In the end, your quality of life is what matters most. Nobody ever lay on their death bed saying I wish I had spent more time at the office.

Cute pic CIB - thanks for sharing. I love the redwoods.

mn2co - ya caught me! It is a little weird but right now I don't have a whole lot to do at work after spending 30 years busting my behind. We have a crisis of non-performance with our contractor so everything is in a waiting mode to get fixed and they don't seem to be working on much. That coupled with the fact that no future things matter to me and now, no one consults me either because I will be gone by the time it rolls around. I cleaned out part of my office bookcase. It was like dumping 30 years of my agency's technical history. But no one really cares any more about that stuff and I won't need it either.

I finally found Anomaly's blog. I find it interesting because I have had thoughts of doing some of that from time to time and she has lots of experience rambling. I had a loooong commute last night on the train due to heavy thunderstoprms wreaking havoc with the switches so I got read some more.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
It depends on the local laws. Here in MD you have to disclose it. My ex and I bought a house where the owner had murdered someone who had been stealing from him regularly. He was in jail, his wife was trying to liquidate and we got it for a nice discount. But they had to tell us.
Well, you can't tell if you supposedly "don't know." Let people who want to know do their own "digging." I can't remember whether the previous owner of my house (an elderly woman) died here or elsewhere, but I'm volunteering nuthin!!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Wisteria and others retiring "early"---

Just b/c we "retire" (or lose our jobs or must quit for health reasons) from the FT job doesn't mean we will never work for money again. There's a world of things to do for income! When I lost my job I started freelancing, mostly producing self-published books for ordinary folk, and others freelance at other things. You can earn a certain amount on top of SS payments, not sure what it is but I'm not collecting SS yet (another 18 mos to go, and I'm in line!).

I have a friend, a dental hygienist, who subs, or works one or two days a week. Another friend, who had once made big bucks now retired, is working in local garden store having a ball (amazing how pleasant work can be if it's not the high stress professional job we once had). When I move I plan to even offer dog sitting (maybe will get an actual certification to do so) and other odd things, even non-medical companionship for someone older than me.

Toward the age of 60, the kind of work most of us did most of our lives grows old, very old, making us feel much older than we really are. My retired friends in their 70s are drawing circles around many younger. So I think what makes us old is what drains us. Wisteria, once you are out of that stressful work environment I will bet you $100 or more that you will find a whole new way of life and relaxed way of making income if you want or need it. Even a minimum wage job at our age,one we could not have or would not have considered even 5 yrs ago, will keep us afloat. And there's always taking on a housemate.

What's holding me up on what I say, above, is that I have to make the move to a new location that has lower prop taxes and better public transportation. With those two things, we have a much better chance of financial survival and security. The car in the suburban or rural location, for most elderly on a minimal budget, is going to bust us financially. Our gas prices here (surprise surprise) are inching back up toward $3 /gallon. What will gas, and taxes, etc be when we are in our 70s? That is what we have to plan for and figure out NOW.

But there are many creative ways for creative people to make money post retirement. Anyone who has any good ideas, please post here and on the "retiring on a literal shoestring" thread. Thanks all!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, you can't tell if you supposedly "don't know." Let people who want to know do their own "digging." I can't remember whether the previous owner of my house (an elderly woman) died here or elsewhere, but I'm volunteering nuthin!!
True, but in places with the laws, you can get into a lot of trouble (even invalidate the sale) if it can be proved that you knew or should have known. In my case, there was no way the wife of the murderer could have skated it. In your case, you could make a good case that you did not know nor should have known. And your laws may be different. When it comes to real estate, disclose what you must but no more than that.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wisteria and others retiring "early"---

Just b/c we "retire" (or lose our jobs or must quit for health reasons) from the FT job doesn't mean we will never work for money again. There's a world of things to do for income! When I lost my job I started freelancing, mostly producing self-published books for ordinary folk, and others freelance at other things. You can earn a certain amount on top of SS payments, not sure what it is but I'm not collecting SS yet (another 18 mos to go, and I'm in line!).

I have a friend, a dental hygienist, who subs, or works one or two days a week. Another friend, who had once made big bucks now retired, is working in local garden store having a ball (amazing how pleasant work can be if it's not the high stress professional job we once had). When I move I plan to even offer dog sitting (maybe will get an actual certification to do so) and other odd things, even non-medical companionship for someone older than me.

Toward the age of 60, the kind of work most of us did most of our lives grows old, very old, making us feel much older than we really are. My retired friends in their 70s are drawing circles around many younger. So I think what makes us old is what drains us. Wisteria, once you are out of that stressful work environment I will bet you $100 or more that you will find a whole new way of life and relaxed way of making income if you want or need it. Even a minimum wage job at our age,one we could not have or would not have considered even 5 yrs ago, will keep us afloat. And there's always taking on a housemate.

What's holding me up on what I say, above, is that I have to make the move to a new location that has lower prop taxes and better public transportation. With those two things, we have a much better chance of financial survival and security. The car in the suburban or rural location, for most elderly on a minimal budget, is going to bust us financially. Our gas prices here (surprise surprise) are inching back up toward $3 /gallon. What will gas, and taxes, etc be when we are in our 70s? That is what we have to plan for and figure out NOW.

But there are many creative ways for creative people to make money post retirement. Anyone who has any good ideas, please post here and on the "retiring on a literal shoestring" thread. Thanks all!
Lots of good points here. I think another thread for additional part time income ideas should be in it's own thread.

After 30 years, I am really tired of my job and agency. I'm seeing the same stupidity roll around for the 3rd time! It gets old.

One of the things retiring means to me is (once I get my living situation changed as I want and settled in my new life) the opportunity to do some things that I would never have done younger because it didn't pay decently. You are so right that work you love doing does not feel like work you have to do to put a roof over our heads.

Great post!

Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,611,549 times
Default I retired at age 60....

I might have continued to work longer except for three reasons (1) I injured my knees and they hurt (2) I was "eligible" for the employer pension (3) The employer made my working environment HELL cuz (as a long-time high-earning employee) they wanted me to leave and save the $$$. After 18 years of service to the employer, I gave a month notice, said "no party" and was outta there

So, Wisteria.... I totally agree with all your reasons for wanting OUT ! If you're eligible for that pension, small as it might be..... you know what is right for you

Then 2 years later, at age 62, I took my SS $$ and never regretted the decision to retire! MOVED out West , yadda-yadda-yadda.....

Last edited by ConeyIsBabe; 06-10-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 10:23 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,071,476 times
NE Girl, if you collect at 62, I think the current limit is you can earn no more than $13k a year, without paying a penalty where they reduce the amount of your SS...it's something like 50 cents on the dollar for over 13K. At 65 you can earn $30K and after that any amount. I did read that you can still collect the higher amount of SS at 66, if you pay back all the money they paid you yeah...right.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,245,561 times
Quote:
newenglandgirl:

Tesaje: True, but in places with the laws, you can get into a lot of trouble (even invalidate the sale) if it can be proved that you knew or should have known. In my case, there was no way the wife of the murderer could have skated it. In your case, you could make a good case that you did not know nor should have known. And your laws may be different. When it comes to real estate, disclose what you must but no more than that.
You're correct, Tesaje. In California it is the law. Apparently, some people are very superstitious. When I was signing disclosure forms with the realtor, I came across that and asked why I'd have to disclose that information? She said that it was the law, and I had no choice. Fortunately, the woman who lived there before me did NOT die there, however, she did fall off the roof while sweeping redwood needles (another reason I want to leave -- it's too hard of work for an older woman alone)...but died in a nursing home. Phew!

My dream is still for a young couple, with or going to have a child, and will stay in the house for 20-30 years. That would give them plenty of time to do that remodeling I couldn't do, to maybe take the huge porch and enclose it totally and make it an extra room, and to clear some of the land in the back for a huge organic garden or something else. It is just way too hard for me to manage alone....

and CIB, I have those rotten knees, too! Darn!
Quote:
ConeyIsBabe:
So, Wisteria.... I totally agree with all your reasons for wanting OUT ! If you're eligible for that pension, small as it might be..... you know what is right for you.
Yep, usually, I push myself to the limits, but this time, I truly believe I deserve some down time. Raising my daughter alone and having her at age 42, was not an easy task...but I did it! I will see her Friday at her boyfriend's graduation (M.S. in Math). And now at almost 62....I'm bushed! An extra $100 a month or so is not worth it. I can always teach art, privately, if necessary (although I do enjoy the group process). I'm ready for retirement -- never though I'd be using that word: "retirement," but here I am! Wow, what a strange new world I'm entering!

If I can get a decent profit for a good downpayment someplace, then it wouldn't be anymore than paying rent, and I'd be able to do what I want with it....although I'm still ambivalent about renting or buying -- I really don't like this being tied to a place because you have to sell it first!

I'm waiting for another installment to Anomoly's blog, too. It should be interesting following her new adventures!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,245,561 times
Default Find Your Utopia

Find Utopia - Step 3 - Best Place Lists

Just found this link -- lots of variety here and interesting to go through.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM

46 posts, read 92,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post

ME, Jack, and a giant redwood tree in n/California

Reminds me of Muir Woods and one of my favorite places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement