U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,063,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anomoly....
Still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the forum. How does a member access another member's blog....namely, yours?
Click on her name, choose profile. It will take you to her page. Then on the tabs, click on blog. You might have to click on the more button (>>) to reveal the blog button. http://www.city-data.com/blogs/252771-anomoly.html

Karcon - hang in there. When I've bought properties, the final loan approvals was not given until settlement day. They like to leave so much to the last minute - I suppose to pressure you into not really reading what you are signing up to and make you feel you have to accept anything. Just make sure you have all the stuff you thought. You should ask for copies of all the final papers. Some states make them provide these ahaead of time but a lot don't and they are couriered over the day of settlement. Awful process, it is. A lot of states have that 3 days to get out of it for contract signing so you can read it all then.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:23 AM

205 posts, read 360,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Click on her name, choose profile. It will take you to her page. Then on the tabs, click on blog. You might have to click on the more button (>>) to reveal the blog button. http://www.city-data.com/blogs/252771-anomoly.html

Karcon - hang in there. When I've bought properties, the final loan approvals was not given until settlement day. They like to leave so much to the last minute - I suppose to pressure you into not really reading what you are signing up to and make you feel you have to accept anything. Just make sure you have all the stuff you thought. You should ask for copies of all the final papers. Some states make them provide these ahaead of time but a lot don't and they are couriered over the day of settlement. Awful process, it is. A lot of states have that 3 days to get out of it for contract signing so you can read it all then.
Tesaje; Thank you so much for the note of encouragement. I have not bought a house in 29 years (or owned one in 23) and I never remember it being this gut wrenching. But then I was younger (ha!), the economy was different, and I couldn't see all the trees for the forest. It was just there!

Another way to checksomeone's blog; under their name on the posts are all those little icons. If there is a "B" that is their blog. You can just click on that! Love reading Anomoly's blog and can so relate to being a solo traveller. Have done a lot for both business (during the employed days) and pleasure (???!!!)

Old 06-20-2009, 11:17 AM

512 posts, read 1,311,375 times
Default Accessing blogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anomoly....
Still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the forum. How does a member access another member's blog....namely, yours?
The easist ways to access a blog from someone's posts:
1. click on the 'B" under username, or
2. in the upper right corner, you'll see "Blog entries", click on the number listed beside it.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:21 AM

512 posts, read 1,311,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
I have to (will be by choice) out of this house on June 30. Keep thinking of the what ifs. Where to go. Do I freak (no! - well maybe just a little); try the zen mode (what will be will be). Plan my escape - hop on a plane - go to Mexico, Europe, some small island, sell bait, become the crazy old lady????!!!

Stay tuned for next chapter in this saga of being a single woman retiring alone.
I'd sell bait.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
The easist ways to access a blog from someone's posts:
1. click on the 'B" under username, or
2. in the upper right corner, you'll see "Blog entries", click on the number listed beside it.
Great, thanks....

Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,246,699 times
Quote:
Karcon:
I have to (will be by choice) out of this house on June 30. Keep thinking of the what ifs. Where to go. Do I freak (no! - well maybe just a little); try the zen mode (what will be will be). Plan my escape - hop on a plane - go to Mexico, Europe, some small island, sell bait, become the crazy old lady????!!!

Stay tuned for next chapter in this saga of being a single woman retiring alone.

Anomoly: I'd sell bait.
That was cute! I needed the laugh.

A hearty welcome to Glorida, too!

I am still running around like that crazy old lady (!) -- see, I didn't even have to think about becoming one! -- trying to get my house continually ready. I fluctuate between bringing my poor dog to work with me and leaving him in the car, in case a realtor wants to go through. But it's been hot lately, so today I left him home in the cool house.

I have spent nearly every night doing something to that house. I am so frustrated. I discovered there's a whole CLUSTER of foreclosures only two streets away!! I couldn't believe it. I hadn't walked down there, actually, for years. But I knew someone else had put their house up for sale, so I thought I'd walk by. Well, I could not believe how ghetto that area had become!! Fortunately, you can't see it from my house and my neighbors are all responsible and keep up their properties, but you know it can't be good news for me selling with all these foreclosures coming up.....

So, now I'm trying to figure out Plan B -- what if I CAN'T sell????
What do I do??? If I stayed at my job for another four years, I would have a tidy retirement pension and my S.S. would go up because it would erase a lot of the zero years I have. I'd really feel I'd need to have a side business, though, to make money and to catch up.

We just received a 5% cut in pay! AND work furlough -- a day month without pay and a week at Christmas with no pay. It is very depressing. Obviously, that will affect my pension.

So, that is why I have not been around much lately. It has been very stressful at work because of all the layoffs and pay cuts and furloughs -- trying to save jobs, my boss, the Chief, is going through his first year of a budget crisis (worst we've seen), and he's truly overwhelmed, and since my office adjoins his, I get to see all the inside stuff. It is not a pretty picture.

I may be looking for that roommate, if this house doesn't sell by Autumn. Just putting it out there.

Karcon, I can relate to the stress you are going through. Fortunately, you will end up with a place -- I'm trying to get rid of one.

Anomoly, thank you for your blog. It is heartening to read about your travels and thoughts.

And now it's back to the salt mines!

Hang in there everyone -- somehow we will all find a place and settle in -- of course, mine may be six feet under -- but, hey, I'll finally be resting!

See ya later....

Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM

205 posts, read 360,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
That was cute! I needed the laugh.

A hearty welcome to Glorida, too!

I am still running around like that crazy old lady (!) -- see, I didn't even have to think about becoming one! -- trying to get my house continually ready. I fluctuate between bringing my poor dog to work with me and leaving him in the car, in case a realtor wants to go through. But it's been hot lately, so today I left him home in the cool house.

I have spent nearly every night doing something to that house. I am so frustrated. I discovered there's a whole CLUSTER of foreclosures only two streets away!! I couldn't believe it. I hadn't walked down there, actually, for years. But I knew someone else had put their house up for sale, so I thought I'd walk by. Well, I could not believe how ghetto that area had become!! Fortunately, you can't see it from my house and my neighbors are all responsible and keep up their properties, but you know it can't be good news for me selling with all these foreclosures coming up.....

So, now I'm trying to figure out Plan B -- what if I CAN'T sell????
What do I do??? If I stayed at my job for another four years, I would have a tidy retirement pension and my S.S. would go up because it would erase a lot of the zero years I have. I'd really feel I'd need to have a side business, though, to make money and to catch up.

We just received a 5% cut in pay! AND work furlough -- a day month without pay and a week at Christmas with no pay. It is very depressing. Obviously, that will affect my pension.

So, that is why I have not been around much lately. It has been very stressful at work because of all the layoffs and pay cuts and furloughs -- trying to save jobs, my boss, the Chief, is going through his first year of a budget crisis (worst we've seen), and he's truly overwhelmed, and since my office adjoins his, I get to see all the inside stuff. It is not a pretty picture.

I may be looking for that roommate, if this house doesn't sell by Autumn. Just putting it out there.

Karcon, I can relate to the stress you are going through. Fortunately, you will end up with a place -- I'm trying to get rid of one.

Anomoly, thank you for your blog. It is heartening to read about your travels and thoughts.

And now it's back to the salt mines!

Hang in there everyone -- somehow we will all find a place and settle in -- of course, mine may be six feet under -- but, hey, I'll finally be resting!

See ya later....
Wisteria; boy does it never end? For any of us! It is so frustrating with two days to go. In a nutshell:

3 weeks ago I got the insurance policy (and paid for one year) I was told I would need to have and signed the document from the loan officer - needed HO6 (condo policy). On Thursday got call from loan processor - long story short, I needed a HO3 (full coverage policy). Called insurance company, cancelled HO6, got HO3 replacement and paid the $$ difference. On Friday, while talking with insurance company to get documents emailed my realtor called. When I was on hold with ins. co. got message from realtor, no I didn't need HO3 I needed HO6. Ins. agent got back on after taking care of everything. I then had to tell her, cancel the HO3 and reinstate the HO6. So everything was reversed. Yesterday (Monday) realtor called and said (another long story short) I really needed the HO3 right away for closing. So called ins. co. back to recancel HO6 and reinstate the HO3. . The ins. co. has been great, very patient and kept apologizing to me! For what I said. I need to apologize to you!!!! So now have the HO3 and hopefully all is well (this time).

Then I had to call the loan co. because I still haven't heard if everything is okay. I call loan processor who tells me everything is done and documents have been sent to title co. for Thursday closing. I went on line to get an updated doc on what the actual $$$ needed to bring to closing (still waiting for that info). The good faith document on closing costs for purchase was there but didn't look right. Reviewed it closer and the document is actually a good faith document for refinancing! What!? Instead of showing what I would pay at closing it's showing what I will receive at closing. Neat trick. Getting money from the loan company for a house I'm buying.

I've emailed the loan processor to make sure they have their ducks in a row. God only knows what closing will be like. I feel like this is a "who's on first" game of bowling. You say "what?" Yeah, that's what it's like.

I think I'd like to sell bait in on an island off the coast of Mexico for a European who owns a fish camp. Want to come with me Wisteria?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,612,327 times
Cool Wisteria & Plan B......

Wisteria, I'm very much like you in that I consider all angles and try to plan ahead for any possibility.

If you would need to enact Plan B and hang-in there for another 4 years WITH A ROOMMATE - it might not be so bad if you found a very compatible person; perhaps a quiet retired lady.

That cottage of yours can be converted into your private "sanctuary" where you could keep your personal stuff and use it for whenever you want privacy. Then you could share the main house with the roommate Don't sign any lease until you know for sure that the roommate is compatible with you, maybe not even then, so you could always give her a 30-day notice! Notice I said "her", cuz a him might provide more complications which you don't need

Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,063,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Wisteria, I'm very much like you in that I consider all angles and try to plan ahead for any possibility.

If you would need to enact Plan B and hang-in there for another 4 years WITH A ROOMMATE - it might not be so bad if you found a very compatible person; perhaps a quiet retired lady.

That cottage of yours can be converted into your private "sanctuary" where you could keep your personal stuff and use it for whenever you want privacy. Then you could share the main house with the roommate Don't sign any lease until you know for sure that the roommate is compatible with you, maybe not even then, so you could always give her a 30-day notice! Notice I said "her", cuz a him might provide more complications which you don't need
Oh yes, this is a better idea than the one I was thinking. I was thinking the reverse - tenant in the cottage with kitchen/bath privileges. But it would probably be better to keep it for herself as a sanctuary.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 18,538,118 times
I'll be putting up my house for sale also this summer. Things are pretty difficult here on Long Island and builders are actually using all these incentives to get people to buy (flat screen TVs, granite counter tops and all). I can't imagine what I could throw in that would make my house more desirable.
My 12 year old non-flat screen TV would not do it, I don't think.

It's so scary really. Just when you thought you would be able to relax and take it easy . . . . . . . and it's upsetting because time is so finite. It isn't as if it is endless for someone my age. I imagine that I have this window of time to work with because I don't want to move when I am too old to be able to do things for myself.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement