U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM

510 posts, read 1,308,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I'm so happy to have found this forum!

well, welcome , desert spirit. I enjoyed your post of learning to love the serenity and the beauty of the desert . That is how so many people come to feel.

It has been so wet and cold here this spring in New York. My whole being is just aching for sun and warmth.

I just received in the mail a whole packet about Las Alturas in Almagordas. Does anyone know where that is , exactly? The houses look beautiful, but I don't think that prices were listed (never a good sign).
Cathy4017 comes to mind, as far as expertise on Alamagordo. Look at Alamagordo threads, and her posts. I've never heard of Las Alturas, I assume it's a housing community??

Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM

21 posts, read 54,278 times
Thanks for the welcome!

I just googled Las Alturas -- it's an intergenerational co-housing community. See New Homes Alamogordo New Mexico - French Brothers Homes and look for Las Alturas. Houses are 197K and up.

I came across this website. Haven't explored it much yet, but seems like a good resource:
Resources: Women Living in Community (http://www.womenlivingincommunity.com/resources.html - broken link)

In looking at real estate for sale around Santa Fe and Taos, I saw that there are several solar communities in the Taos area with some beautiful adobe, straw bale and earthship houses for sale. I don't know anything about the communities.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,085,138 times
Hey anomoly, I liked your pics too -- especially the little houses lined up. You can drink wine and ask anytime Where's my glass.....

I am drawn more to mountain towns and not so much the open desert although who knows--I liked living in Eldorado although it never got too hot which is a concern going further south. I like the size of Santa Fe--around 60,000 is big enough to not know everyone yet small enough to know people when you go out and there are cultural activities and it's fairly easy to get around. Olympia WA was the same size and if it wasn't for the rain and the low paying jobs and expensive cost of living I would have stayed--I liked the town very much--very much a feeling of community.

I'm 55 but don't expect to retire for 10-15 years. I would like to eventually telecommute however and then live in either NM, PA, or NY. East only because my family is all there. I will be visiting in May and I told them to find a town they think I'd like and we could go check it out. It has to have a college and water--if I'm living there it has to have water to replace the desert. Not really sure I could do it though--don't see the point unless I'm living very close to them. If I have to travel 5-8 hours to visit them I can take the same day and fly.

I like the idea of an ecovillage--I want to build a cob wall and put my pots in it.

Anomoly - you get up this way, let's have a glass of wine together. I don't think I'll make it down this year. Too many plans that took all my vacation days.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Anomoly, thanks for the photos! Yes, I think you're right -- TorC could be a wonderful place if you have a ready-made support group. I just need to sell my house!! Talk about timing....we're in a recession!!

But...I do like the idea of being in TorC with hot springs nearby to soothe the weary bones....

Actually -- here is a success story: someone on here (I would have to look up the name) had a house for sale in TorC, and wanted to know what to charge for it -- I contacted the person, and told them I knew of someone ready to buy in TorC (in fact, Anomoly, I'd love you to meet her when she gets there in two months!). Well, the two talked, and voila - my friend is now buying that house -- before it hit the market, so they both save money! My friend just retired last week! Now, she had good timing (although she and her husband have been renting and don't have to sell a home to move). When I went to her retirement party, she was so excited and said, "Guess what? We bought a house!" and it was that house! I was soooo happy for her!!

Her sister also runs a small fudge company there (you may see their small packages in the local stores), although she and her husband live and work full-time in Albuquerque during the week. I love the idea of a small complex of apartments/cottages there. I know there is a hospital there, but I imagine it is not the greatest or has a lot of services, but it could, I suppose, serve for a transitional time before going to another hospital in a larger city...

I may not be able to get to TorC this summer -- I'd love to, but my daughter is starting college, and she's working during the summer, and I am the official chauffer, plus we have lots of pre-college stuff to do. However....I would bet my friend would be happy to visit in my place, if that would be okay!! She and her husband are moving in May or June -- once the house sale is finalized, and she gets everything packed.

Oh, and to Dancingearth -- I, too, have done pottery in the past and would love to have a pottery studio nearby!

And, NancytheReader, you're right, it is very different from Long Island! But the up side is that it is warm, SUNNY!! , low humidity -- none of that sweaty stuff where you have to shower 3 times a day to get the sweat off! The down side is that it is not rich in green foliage, however, you may, as I did, come to love the beauty of the colorful rock formations, the cacti, the skies full of bright stars, and the peacefulness of the area. It's called The Land of Enchantment for a reason!

It's starting to sound like a plan!
I must have missed this post...
Wisteria, I'd love to meet your friend!
And, again, a meet up in TrC would be best in October.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_spirit View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I just googled Las Alturas -- it's an intergenerational co-housing community. See New Homes Alamogordo New Mexico - French Brothers Homes and look for Las Alturas. Houses are 197K and up.

I came across this website. Haven't explored it much yet, but seems like a good resource:
Resources: Women Living in Community (http://www.womenlivingincommunity.com/resources.html - broken link)

In looking at real estate for sale around Santa Fe and Taos, I saw that there are several solar communities in the Taos area with some beautiful adobe, straw bale and earthship houses for sale. I don't know anything about the communities.
I guess that's the problem with alot the co-housing communities: COST! As exciting as it seems, I know I can't afford that. And, I'm liking the idea of restoration, or something funky..? not sure..

And, we mentioned the WLIV website a few pages back, but at the rate of this thread, you'd probably have to go wayyy back to find it.
I've definitely got it saved as a wonderful resource, and I did go through that one, and their links pretty extensively. I think you'll find it valuable too.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Anomoly - you get up this way, let's have a glass of wine together. I don't think I'll make it down this year. Too many plans that took all my vacation days.
Really?? An actual face-to-face invite?? I'm pretty mobile, and would love that.
Where did you say you are? Santa Fe? That's easy for me!

I'm thinking about lining up a workamping situation this summer, probably camp host. It's funny how inspirational this thread has been for me, and I now feel like I have a reason to save as much as possible, with a goal in mind. I like the thought of a newer motorhome in the next year! And, the formation of a community in the future!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 PM

Somehow I missed these. My new favorite - Happy Belly Deli - what a great name! now you made me laugh!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I'm thinking about lining up a workamping situation this summer, probably camp host. It's funny how inspirational this thread has been for me, and I now feel like I have a reason to save as much as possible, with a goal in mind. I like the thought of a newer motorhome in the next year! And, the formation of a community in the future!
Camphost sounds like fun. The camp host at Ghost Ranch seemed to have a good time--she got to paint that wonderful scenery. Weekends are best--let me know when and if you have anything in particular you enjoy doing! We can take pictures of Santa Fe for the rest of you.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 PM

I'm considering buying again and found our abbey.
Santa Fe Properties

Old 04-16-2008, 02:42 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,058,011 times
Originally Posted by anomaly
Ya know, Wisteria, I keep wondering why we don't just move to YOUR property!! My Goodness, think about it: 1) house by the ocean in Santa Cruz; 2) in the country with lots of land for pets and.. people. WOW!
Wisteria, you've got a pot of gold!!

I totally agree, anomaly! Okay, pack your bags ladies, we're all moving to Wisteria's!

Or how about a straight across swap, Wisteria, for a place in the warm,sunny fruit basket of Central California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement