U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM

52 posts, read 144,061 times

Advertisements

Thank you Plantlover. I hope I did it right.

Congrats Karcon! I am sure you will enjoy your new home.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Karcon -- yippee!!! You DID it!! Now you can breathe again! Get some good wine, sit back, relax and pat yourself on the back!! Good job!!

You're a happy home owner.....now, I'd like to be a happy home seller! My turn! haha

I'm very glad for you. It sounded so stressful. It's over, you have your OWN place!!!! Congratulations!!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Congrats, Karcon! Don't feel bad about the b***ch part - it is a negotiating technique and they made you go that far. Not your choice at all. Moving is a lot of hard work but at least it is the home stretch in your oddessy. Relax and enjoy the wine. Tomorrow is another day.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:24 AM

70 posts, read 252,664 times
Way to go Karcon!. Moving is like a mine field - you never know what or where things are going to blow. In my dreams, I still go over past moving lists and somehow realize I didn't contact the movers on the day I planned to leave Just a remnant left over from my military life.
BTW, My family lives in Winter Park.
Best of luck to you in your new home!!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:00 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Karcon, I've forgotten, but were you renting in the Winter Park area and you decided to buy a place?
Yes, I've been renting this house since July 2000. Had not planned on being here that long. Long/short - partner and I moved in together. Six weeks later he was diagnosed with total kidney failure and spent the next three months in the hospital and on dialysis. He passed away December 2000. I was devastated and it just became easier to stay than leave. We were only going to be here about two years, then he was retiring and we were going to get a place on the river. C'est la vie. But this year I just could not sign another lease for year ten! Enough. So, I jumped into being a home owner and stay here. Still could not decide where to go and housing is affordable here plus the no state income tax. So, for now, this is not only home but I finally have a home.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Karcon -- yippee!!! You DID it!! Now you can breathe again! Get some good wine, sit back, relax and pat yourself on the back!! Good job!!

You're a happy home owner.....now, I'd like to be a happy home seller! My turn! haha

I'm very glad for you. It sounded so stressful. It's over, you have your OWN place!!!! Congratulations!!
Yeah - I kicked a**! I still don't think it has set in. Movers coming today. Just loaded up the car with stuff and will be back here a couple of times with Tuesday being the final day. I paid for the month so the owners are not going to have it until then. Not the best landlords.

So now it is your turn! You have to go to Santa Fe. While there go to Chimayo (on the way to Taos). There you will find the really old chapel that is a shrine. In the shrine is a tiny room with a hole in the floor where believers can obtain some holy dirt. I am not kidding. I brought my holy dirt all the way home with me. It's in a baggy and has been on my refrigerator ever since. Everyday I would kiss the bag. If people can bury a statue upside down I figured I could kiss a bag of dirt! Who knows what effect this had but it was something to hold on to.

You are going to sell your home, find your place, and finally start your life - I believe in that!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
Way to go Karcon!. Moving is like a mine field - you never know what or where things are going to blow. In my dreams, I still go over past moving lists and somehow realize I didn't contact the movers on the day I planned to leave Just a remnant left over from my military life.
BTW, My family lives in Winter Park.
Best of luck to you in your new home!!!!!
Wow, small world. Being here 23 years, I've seen a lot of changes. But it still has that charm especially on the avenue. Both my kids grew up here and graduated from Winter Park High. Now moving to Altamonte Springs but will still spend a lot of time in WP - it really is all the same area anyway!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM

52 posts, read 144,061 times
Default Anomoly

Hey Anomoly - where are you? Hope all is well. Please check in if you can so that we know everything is okay.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Nancy

Remind us where you are looking to move and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I'll be putting up my house for sale also this summer. Things are pretty difficult here on Long Island and builders are actually using all these incentives to get people to buy (flat screen TVs, granite counter tops and all). I can't imagine what I could throw in that would make my house more desirable.
My 12 year old non-flat screen TV would not do it, I don't think.

It's so scary really. Just when you thought you would be able to relax and take it easy . . . . . . . and it's upsetting because time is so finite. It isn't as if it is endless for someone my age. I imagine that I have this window of time to work with because I don't want to move when I am too old to be able to do things for myself.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
GloridaBG: Hey Anomoly - where are you? Hope all is well. Please check in if you can so that we know everything is okay.
I second that -- I've been wondering, too! You around, Anomoly?? Hope we hear from you soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement