U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 08:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Miruca,

Thanks for offering to read/screen. I guess we should come up with some kind of guidelines...length (in words), theme, age, who participates (only those who have actually posted on this thread?), what's not allowed (sexist, racist, etc comments....not that we're likely to get any of these), etc.

Anomoly's list of four basic questions is great. I've offered to create some prompts, or folks could write without them.

Anomoly and others...could you be a reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
The writing project was discussed but it seem that each discussion takes us incrementally closer to action

I'd love to help. I have a friend who has been vigorously pursing publishing his book - I will follow up with him to get some suggestions on that process. In addition, I would volunteer to read/screen. Although I think we need pieces to be read/screened by more than one person. Perhaps two or three could read/ screen the same pieces and then make a collaborative decision on whether it's in or out.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Miruca,

Thanks for offering to read/screen. I guess we should come up with some kind of guidelines...length (in words), theme, ...
I would suggest 'short' stories or even some 'one-page' inspiration / diary type entries. Keep the reader's interest and forces the writer from 'rambling'. Some stories / writers will be longer, but a variety of options may be beneficial, since there is a variety of authors.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:47 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Quote:
nancy thereader :
Didn't we discuss this idea of a group writing project, about a hundred-or-so pages ago

Yes, we did. I think it was so long ago that we still had our 401ks then. THAT'S how long ago it was...........
Hahahaha. So true. At that time we were all revved up to get going! Then suddenly the bottom fell out!

I will be getting rid of my home for a pittance, and probably leaving me a renter -- but it's better than owing the bank more money for a place I won't be living in.....(it's called "Let's make a deal" with the bank....I lost!).

My how things have changed in the past couple of years this thread has been going. We went from super excitement and many choices, to now trying to figure out "how to live on a shoestring budget." Quite the opposite of how we started.

But it's still become a great group of women, and we have seen each other (and still are) through many ups and downs.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,688 times
Default writing project

I don't think we should consider weeding anything out for quite awhile down the path. I think we all write interesting things, especially for 'short answer' type responses.
NEG came up with some great lines to trigger 'short answer' responses. Why don't you post the first one here as a sample for everyone.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I don't think we should consider weeding anything out for quite awhile down the path. I think we all write interesting things, especially for 'short answer' type responses.
NEG came up with some great lines to trigger 'short answer' responses. Why don't you post the first one here as a sample for everyone.
I will...but maybe first a few guidelines, what do you think?

1. Avoid use/suggestions of political putdowns, racism, sexism, offensive language
2. Avoid sexual imagery, graphic images
3. Omit blatant violence (unless it is a very necessary part of the story, but not graphic)
4. No use of actual names of individuals, businesses, agencies, etc.
5. Length: 3 typed pages, double spaced (12 point type)
6. Stick to the topic as much as possible
7. Use as much detail and honesty as possible so that readers feel they are let into the real situation in your life.
8. SPELL-CHECK!

Is 3 typed double-spaced pages too much?

Who will volunteer to accept DM's of the pieces, and screen them for the above?

What if our volume of submissions is high??

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Wisteria,

The entire world is watching in horror what is happening in CA. The whole country is on the verge of what you are going through. If that economic reporter for the NYT fell into a mortgage crisis with his expertise, what does that say about the ordinary folk of our country???
Mortgage Trap Mires NYT Economics Reporter in Debt, Fear: Books - Bloomberg.com

The irony is that he will make a fortune off his book! Let's get writing, girls!

May I add here that we send you (and others reading this who are in a housing crisis of any kind) our thoughts, prayers, and hopes for a new path in a new direction asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hahahaha. So true. At that time we were all revved up to get going! Then suddenly the bottom fell out!

I will be getting rid of my home for a pittance, and probably leaving me a renter -- but it's better than owing the bank more money for a place I won't be living in.....(it's called "Let's make a deal" with the bank....I lost!).

My how things have changed in the past couple of years this thread has been going. We went from super excitement and many choices, to now trying to figure out "how to live on a shoestring budget." Quite the opposite of how we started.

But it's still become a great group of women, and we have seen each other (and still are) through many ups and downs.

Last edited by RiverBird; 07-02-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 05:50 PM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
karcon - I hope you enjoy your new home. Winter Park is a beautiful area.

Re books by older women - years ago in my thirties I found "The Measure of My Days" written by Florida Scott Maxwell at around age 80. It is still one of my favorite books.

I think a book compiled from many people would be especially interesting because the many styles (humourous, joyful, serious and piercing, and just everyday helpful) are likely to touch many different kinds of readers. It is also enlightening to look at things from various perspectives that are different from our own nature.
Thank you Miruca. I never thought I would be here. I guess not having owned a home for nearly 25 years turned out to be a blessing. Also, with housing prices and interest rates down and housing appraisals getting lower, I guess for the first time in my life I was in the right place/time. It still feels very strange to me.

I really like the idea of a book compiling vignettes of retired/older single women. Just reading this thread of all that has been shared has been an inspiration to me that I am in the company of a multitude of heroic women. With everything that has happened, we keep moving forward.

Wisteria, I know this is an extremely difficult time in your life and now even more so with the news from CA. Remember we are all here for you - as a group or individually. Stay strong.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 AM

384 posts, read 877,800 times
Good rules and framework NewEnglandgirl ... and I'll accept DM's to read and screen... although .. a DM for my email address would work better.... then the document can be sent as an attachment. This sounds like an absolutely fun project to me!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would suggest 'short' stories or even some 'one-page' inspiration / diary type entries. Keep the reader's interest and forces the writer from 'rambling'. Some stories / writers will be longer, but a variety of options may be beneficial, since there is a variety of authors.
Good idea, we'll note that.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is 3 typed double-spaced pages too much?

Whoa! I think 3 pages is way too much. Am I out of touch? Is that a limit, or an expectation? I can't imagine doing 3 pages, but then words do add up. I was thinking some responses might be a few paragraphs, or even a page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement