U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,404,127 times

Advertisements

I just typed up a rough version of "my life" and I have to say, it was very therapeutic. Will I ever forward it on? We'll see.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:00 PM

71 posts, read 252,962 times
Default Writings from elder goddesses (tee hee)

I love everyone's suggestions. My initial thought on how to contribute to this effort was taken from an idea on a small book I wanted to write for my niece about what I have discovered for my life that was meaningful. What stood out more that some life experiences for me was some of the dreams I'd had where in a matter of a few seconds or minutes - that dream passed volumes of wisdom of a personal life's theme -- something I needed to learn. I look forward to everyone's story.

Happy 4th everyone!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 18,533,732 times
Do you think you would want to make a separate thread for these journal posts? Just let me know if you how you feel about this and I will try to make it a "sticky".

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,611,549 times
Default Excellent Idea !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Do you think you would want to make a separate thread for these journal posts? Just let me know if you how you feel about this and I will try to make it a "sticky".
A "sticky" would be very convenient as a one-stop source to access the Journal without having to get off-topic on this thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM

384 posts, read 878,357 times
[quote=karcon;9597449]
Finding your place is a journey and progression of sorting out what is important to you personally.

I wonder if themes might just "sort out" or evolve on their own...even creating a "third child" that we haven't thought of within a list of parameters. Given that possibility .. I would tend towards saying "just write from within you" and then see what we get and arrange in themes from there.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:20 PM

205 posts, read 360,369 times
[quote=Tesaje;9599858]Karcon has embarked on the relocation question but she has yet to discover whether the reality of her decisions will bear out her expectations (I hope so ).

Actually, the answer for me, as I discovered, was not just the relocation question as much as it was discovering what was important to me - what was it that I was missing. After much time soul searching, taking quizzes on "best places to relocate," finding solace in this thread by both "talking" and "listening," and going to destinations I felt were right for me, I discovered it was a home, my home, that I most missed. Renting for the last 23 years was necessary at the time but you (I) never really had a sense of settledness. Expectations are what you make of them. Do I think this decision is going to be life changing, that I'm going to find total happiness, that I will no longer be alone, that this is the answer to all my questions? No, I'm a realist. The earth did not move and stars haven't alligned for everything to be perfect. But the sense of belonging is there. So, the reality of my decision has met my expectations. As I said previously, this is only the beginning of my next chapter. The rest, to reconnect with my community, to make new friends, whatever, is up to me. For now, I'm content in having "found" the answer to what was missing. But like they say, everytime I learned the answers, they changed the questions! Welcome to the world baby girl, welcome to the world.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Presently, i have just moved to a place where i would yell from the rooftops, DON'T MOVE HERE!" and yet as I sit here writing, out on my beautiful backyard, with the temps around 68 degrees, no humidity and I'm 45 minutes drive from the coast and the city, I'm thinking, "why not move here?" This is a sleepy little town that is like a lot of somewhat dying towns and i'm thinking to myself that there are good things here - I can walk to the library, to the grocery store, the bank, the hospital, doctors, etc. The people seem very friendly. I can be at wonderful beaches in less than an hour - be in the city in less than an hour - be in some wonderful little towns in less than an hour. It's hot at times (most places are), humid at times (most of the south is) and there is winter (though mild no doubt since there are also palm trees surviving living here). I may have found a paradise and not even know it and maybe it is just waiting for a bunch of creative ladies to move here and launch whatever dream they are dreaming. Maybe it is exactly where I should be launching my dreams instead of figuring out where I can go to do what i want to do.
So, with that said, I'm going to ask for input from each of you your thoughts on WHAT makes a good place to live?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:18 PM

[quote=triciajeanne ]Presently, i have just moved to a place where i would yell from the rooftops, DON'T MOVE HERE!" and yet as I sit here writing, out on my beautiful backyard, with the temps around 68 degrees, no humidity and I'm 45 minutes drive from the coast and the city, I'm thinking, "why not move here?" This is a sleepy little town that is like a lot of somewhat dying towns and i'm thinking to myself that there are good things here - I can walk to the library, to the grocery store, the bank, the hospital, doctors, etc. The people seem very friendly. I can be at wonderful beaches in less than an hour - be in the city in less than an hour - be in some wonderful little towns in less than an hour. It's hot at times (most places are), humid at times (most of the south is) and there is winter (though mild no doubt since there are also palm trees surviving living here). I may have found a paradise and not even know it and maybe it is just waiting for a bunch of creative ladies to move here and launch whatever dream they are dreaming. Maybe it is exactly where I should be launching my dreams instead of figuring out where I can go to do what i want to do.
So, with that said, I'm going to ask for input from each of you your thoughts on WHAT makes a good place to live?[/quote]

Well.. that didn't quite work...!! I was trying to quote this piece of Triciajeanne's post .... and it came out as my post!!

But onward... so I'm curious Triciajeanne ..what is this community that is paradise in disguise?

I think you and Karcon have hit on something that is giving me something to think about ...launching your dreams from where you are. Kudos to both of you ... you are now a solid step ahead of many of us who are either vacillating about change or trying to adapt to the economy interrupting our plans.

As for the your question about what makes a good place to live - yes, it has been discussed many times on here. There are some varying answers - like some people feel proximity to family trumps all, others think warm climate etc. Serveral of the factors iyou mention are recurring .. close to stores, library, medical, coast. A resounding theme, however, is the need for community of somewhat kindred spirits.

I would say that many here are not the gated golf community type ...and hence, we are somewhat untethered reaching a point in life where many peers are moving towards the more traditional options....and are quite happy with those options. How do we create our own community that appears to be more centered on continuing to explore internal aspects of ourselves and external stimulating experiences?

Every choice will have trade-offs - the list of tradeoffs for me left me somewhat immobilized ( although anomoly's "mobile" example is mobilizing me again ) I must admit though, I am somewhat envious of you and karcon for having just made the choice and now you can get busy living!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:44 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,404,127 times
Default Karcon

Give us a description - a visual image - of your new home, please...

Old 07-04-2009, 06:01 PM

205 posts, read 360,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Give us a description - a visual image - of your new home, please...
I'm flattered you've asked. My new home is a 1400 sq townhome (upstairs/downstairs). It has a bright, eat-in kitchen, a living room (with fireplace - rare in FL but is welcomed on those cold days we do have here in central FL), a bathroom and bedroom/office on the first floor. Upstairs there are two bedrooms and a big bathroom with jacuzzi bathtub (only had showers in the old place), and off the living room (which faces the back) is a nice screened in porch. There is a small back and front yard. And there is a one-car garage. Also, no yardwork as the HOA takes care of the outside maintenance, and HOA fees are low. This a very small, non-gated (would not like that) community. Close to everything - but still need a car. I have also discovered three amazing parks in the area with walking/biking trails, picnic grounds, etc. that I never knew were here. I am only six miles from where I used to be, and I am discovering a whole new community.

I sold a lot of my old furniture and stuff and was able to buy a new sofa and chair. I repainted some old pieces, bought two new lampshades at Target (almost got rid of the lamps), and everything else just fits like it was made to go there.

Having rented for so many years, not able to afford a house, this market was made for someone like me. The actual appraisal of the house came in $10K below the offer price which is what I counter offered (I wasn't going to pay more than the appraisal) - plus a very low interest rate and I qualify for the new homeowner tax rebate which I will get next year when I file my taxes. I am really blessed that I lucked out so well. FL also has a homestead exemption that cuts property taxes and no state income tax. Hence, one of the reasons for staying here.

I'm now paying a lot less to own than I was in rent. And, I don't have landlords who do nothing except when they are forced too, or make very constricting clauses in the lease.

It's still amazing to me, adjusting to a new place. I miss my old neighborhood and the quirky old house (but not the faulty circuit breakers or heating/air units conking out when, of course, it's too hot or cold, or the critters running around in the attic). But this feels right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement