U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 11:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times

Advertisements

I hear you.... I simply meant that just b/c someone contributing to this thread is not a single older woman, that person can't give valuable ideas and support. Like, if a married or coupled person (or recently single older woman) were to say something like this or that town or city has a great community for women, or great and affordable housing, or a women's support group...that kind of info would be welcome to me from anyone at all. As long as it sticks to the subject of women retiring alone to another city, where will you go, and why. I think we are probably in agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I understand your point, but the TOS specifically tell us to stick to the thread topic. It makes for better organization in a forum that is pretty free-wheeling and makes it so readers can get more out of them than if they wander all over the place. Indeed, that is one of the major flaws of the social groups - they wander all over the place with no organization at all in a single thread. That is why the subject headed ones tend not to be active after a while. They are pretty much the same as the forums but all topics are under a single thread. It is hard to follow.

By all means, start other threads that focus on other aspects that may be more inclusive of men and marrieds as your shoestring thread is. But given the longevity and strength of this thread, there doesn't seem to be much chance of it being too exclusive. Rather it shows how many women there are out there in just the microcosm of City-Data that have an interest in this subject. And among the subjects examined within this thread is how single, middle aged women of modest means might form communities for their elder lives. There are plenty of other threads that do not have this thread's interest that examine the many communities made for marrieds and singles who are looking or want the 55+ lifestyle. The common topic is single women (whether contemplating it or in that situation a long time) handle moving for retirement.

I can tell you, that if this thread had wandered off to be how married people retire or women who are on the hunt might find their quarry as was attempted early on, it would have died and I would not still be here.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,997,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Wisteria's not fine, and she's really struggling right now. Lets all send her positive thoughts and feedback.
I am wondering how we can best be a support in Wisteria's situation. If we could reach out of our computers and give her a big HUG I would do that right now!

Wisteria, I send you a huge hug and I believe that things will turn! A good friend's house who hasn't sold in 6 months just got an offer, and the house right behind her that was for sale got an offer before she did, after being on the mkt for a while. If it's possible to hang in there, try to hang in there! It that's not possible, if you have to make other heart wrenching decisions right now, please imagine us friends on the thread you started as angels standing at your elbow.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM

6,955 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Wisteria's not fine, and she's really struggling right now. Lets all send her positive thoughts and feedback.
OK, now I'm worried. Wisteria - I know you are going through a rough time and have been for quite awhile. I don't know what your current situation is, but I know how hard you worked on that house, and prior to that, how hard you worked raising your daughter. Everyone has the right to expect some stress-free times in their life - free of worry & hard work. The offer still stands that I will take Koko - either temporarily or to find him a good home so please don't do anything rash. I know that my dogs are what got me through some rough times - without them the loneliness would be unbearable.

Wisteria - HEAR ME ROAR (cough, cough). If you don't want to post publicly (due to some previous a++holes), at least DM me and let me know what's going on - please!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,058,733 times
Quote:
Oh dear. Now we are all worried. I don't know the specifics, but she's got my support for whatever. Sometimes, it just takes putting one foot in front of the other for a while until you see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hoping that light shows up soon for her.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,529,576 times
Default I'll make a sticky if you all want. Any suggestions for a title?

Originally Posted by nancy thereader
Do you think you would want to make a separate thread for these journal posts? Just let me know if you how you feel about this and I will try to make it a "sticky".

A "sticky" would be very convenient as a one-stop source to access the Journal without having to get off-topic on this thread

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Just my opinion - if this is going to be displayed on a public forum, what I would write would be very different than if it were separate doc without the MN2CO or real name. - quite boring, really. One never knows what the info might be used for in the future and could be another means to track someone down. I know I forget sometimes what lurks out in cyberspace.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,958,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Just my opinion - if this is going to be displayed on a public forum, what I would write would be very different than if it were separate doc without the MN2CO or real name. - quite boring, really. One never knows what the info might be used for in the future and could be another means to track someone down. I know I forget sometimes what lurks out in cyberspace.
I agree, this should probably not be in a public forum. Would someone be willing to accept the documents by email?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,058,733 times
Quote:
I agree also. There are some awful predators out there and we already had an attack on our founder right here.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,890,681 times
Quote:
If you recall, many pages ago, we were talking about a women's coop and I reserved a .com name for it. I haven't gotten around to putting up a website for it yet, but I could do something on that and lock it down so it's invisible in cyberspace and to anyone who isn't a member or sent the url. Participation would require registration and a password.
Would that help? I understand not wanting to be too "out there."
I'm finishing up a project this week so it would be Thursday or Friday until I could get to it.
It could be individual blogs or contributions. Not sure of the form. I'll have to look at the community software available.
And a part of it could still be used to sell stuff.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:03 PM

This sounds like an excellent idea. The book could be interesting, but only if we feel we can speak freely. I really don't want to world to know all the business of MN2CO (no, no dark sinister stuff - no FBI looking for me)

What do the others think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement