U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 02:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
This sounds like an excellent idea. The book could be interesting, but only if we feel we can speak freely. I really don't want to world to know all the business of MN2CO (no, no dark sinister stuff - no FBI looking for me)

What do the others think?

Miruca has already said she would read, screen, and post to blog or some kind of private forum. This is what appears on p. 238:

Please send your pieces of any length (one paragraph to several pages) to Miruca, our reader/poster, any time at

WomenWisdom@live.com

Let each other in on things you think can really be a help or an insight.

Looking forward to seeing our writings!!

MIRUCA, how do we view these....all in one place on your blog?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:27 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,405,485 times
We would need to find out if this is a private bloog or, again, open to the public. If it's public - it defeats the purpose. Miruca can be the reader, but Knox's idea sounds private.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM

52 posts, read 144,174 times
Default Wisteria

Wisteria, a BIG HUG to you. Hang in there. Things will turn your way shortly.

MN2CO, what a generous offer to Wisteria. It's exactly that type of compassion and camaraderie that keeps drawing me back here.

Glorida

Old 07-05-2009, 06:18 PM

205 posts, read 360,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Wisteria's not fine, and she's really struggling right now. Lets all send her positive thoughts and feedback.
Anomoly; thank you for alerting us to Wisteria's status right now. That's part of what this thread has become - a lifeline for those in need.

Wisteria, I know this has been a very difficult time for you on many fronts. First, let me say I am here for you. You have been such a good supporter helping me to find my way through this maze of being single, a mother, older, and retired/near retiring. Your council has been a godsend to me - both publicly and privately. If you want to talk, send an email, whatever - just know that I am here. I, along with the rest of us, have your back. You are not alone.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:19 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloridaBG View Post
Wisteria, a BIG HUG to you. Hang in there. Things will turn your way shortly.

MN2CO, what a generous offer to Wisteria. It's exactly that type of compassion and camaraderie that keeps drawing me back here.

Glorida
MN2CO, is a treasure. She guided me, a stranger, through Mpls when I knew no one there. People helping people is the ideal situation for people growing older. Not eveyone has family to rely upon and those not close to us who open their hearts and hands are golden.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,405,485 times
Ah, shucks maam - wernt notin..

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,353 times
Default Retiring - Living Options

Such a great thread - I am 59 - living in Spring City TN - I am about one hr and 15 minutes from Knoxville - Have done some caregiving work there. The traffic in knoxville is horrendous -- but then I live in the boondocks!!

The summers are VERY humid here. It can also be cold here in the winter

Personally, my daughter and family live in greater Seattle area (Bonney Lake) so I am planning to try and make my way back that direction.

I am also very concerned about isolation - being alone- although I am a very friendly person. People are very clanish (sp) here in this smalll town - the history of the mountain people is very fascinating. Learning about them has helped me understand my situation here better. I came here in 1986 -- but, still, if you were not born here - well. . . I don't know about the people in Knoxville - A lot of people from there come down here around Watts Bar Lake -

I will be glad to be closer to my daughter - but I don't really like the idea of going back into Seattle - I've become too used to the sun. I enjoy my garden !!!

So, glad that you are having a great time in Knoxville - It is a beautiful city - with many great restaurants. I used to go there a lot. It is closer to the mountains so may be more snow - and weather backing up against the Smokies than we do in Spring City.

East TN is a beautiful part of the state - Lots of trees - beautiful leaves in the Fall - You can't always count on spring here. It can jump right into hot humid summer - I've seen that happen.

Pollen and allergies can be really bad here - Ragweed, especially. I take 3 kinds of medicine - so if that's a problem for any of you - it could be worse, here.

I love the idea of communities for people, together. I almost started a house like that - and haven't completely given up the idea.

Anyway, I do want to be closer to my daughter and friends that I have in Seattle - but eastern washington ??? Well. . .

You all have opened up a whole new world to explore --- Thanks, All !

Constancia

Old 07-06-2009, 10:57 PM

384 posts, read 878,452 times
Wow .. a day away in this glorious sun that we are so not use to having here and I can't keep up with all the posts/posters! Ah well.. kayaking was amazing!

Welcome to the newbies ... please jump in even if there is an on-going topic amongst long term posters.

I'm hoping someone finds out if Wisteria is ok and lets the rest of us know. Life is very tough sometimes and it can overwhelm. Sometimes people need to withdraw and have some space to work it all out. Although we've come to support each other on this forum ... it is still a public forum.

Some of you may remember one of the early posters - Avalon08 - she hit some hard times that blew her plans apart and she just needed to regroup. I've missed her on this forum but I've kept in touch every so often with DM's to send support and hope things continue to work out for her. It can be difficult to post when it feels like one's life or heart is in chaos.

WRITING PROJECT - private sounds good for personal and professional reasons. I think we can work our way through this. I am going to follow up with Knox about the website option and also check on a private blog. Are their any super computer savey posters on here that may have suggestions on the best way to move on this?

In the meantime, people are welcome to send writings to WomenWisdom@live.com and I will screen/compile them for posting on our ultimate solution. The solution may take us a couple of weeks ...so be patient...but it also gives people time to write. I think this is an evolving project.

I've already received New EnglandGirls piece... and I can tell you we are definitley onto something here! I'm looking forward to helping in anyway I can.

As a reminder - I will also be following up with someone who has walked the publishing path to get ideas for that too .. unless we have a silent publisher on the thread

And now .. I'm off for more sun ...since it is note setting until after 10 pm tonight

Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 PM

384 posts, read 878,452 times
s/b ""NOT setting"... urgh ... I push that reply button too fast ... and those spelling errors glare back at me from the posted page.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM

7 posts, read 17,759 times
I was researching and stumbled across this forum ~ loved reading portions of it. Y'all are too cute !

I'm not retirement age and no, I'm not looking for a place to go but I wanted to chime in.

For starters, I've lived in Maryland, Virginia, California (beach area), Boulder, Colorado and Alabama

I'd pick Alabama in a heartbeat ! Please keep it a secret, we like that people are so surprised when they visit.

Carry on and I'll be back to check up on your happenings -- and join in discussions about flowers (I do love impatiens !)

C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement