Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times

Advertisements

So relieved to hear your good news, Wisteria.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM

205 posts, read 397,305 times
Wisteria;

I am so happy for you. Having been through a similar journey, I can truly relate. How surprising to find your perfect place in your own back yard! After spending over a year making a country-wide search, agonzing over where I was going to live, I too ended up close to home. I'm only about six miles from where I lived, just another town to the north (but still all the same area) and am discovering a whole new community, beautiful parks that I never realized where here. Now owning my own place - again, like you, it was like kismet - just sitting there waiting for me. I also put stuff in storage starting a few months before moving not knowing what to expect. As I had a definite time that I was to leave the old place, I wanted to be prepared and not scramble at the last minute. It really worked out well and I took time getting stuff transferred to my new place.

I know the next several weeks will be stressful until you are actually in your new home. But it will work out, it will be worth it, and when it is all over you will know that there is no place like home! It sounds like you have truly found paradise! I am so very very happy for you!!!!!

Look forward to hearing more from you once you get settled.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:52 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
OK. I finally made the decision to move to Portland, next year if, God willing, my house sells. I will be retired so employment is not an issue. I guess it's a sign if I cry each time I leave Portland. It just feels like home to me. I will feel younger with the public transportation in a very walkable city with a variety of neighborhoods of interest. I love the feel of the city - relaxed, easygoing gentlefolk. I get great vibes when I'm there. The Pacific NW has been calling me for 21 years, and I chose Portland vs. Seattle. I love Seattle, but would prefer to live in Portland. Plus I will be in the Pacific NW with access to many lovely places.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:56 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Good for you, Wisteria! You're right about mobile home parks in CA. A friend of mine said her mother has a beautiful place in Santa Barbara in a lovely community with the mountains facing her window as she does her dishes.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Congratulations Wisteria! It sounds like you have a wonderful place!....and what a GREAT location!

Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
I am 58 and will still be working for a while. I still want to leave south Florida due to the threat of hurricanes! The storm itself is not so bad, its the months/years of re-building after a bad one. What to do.......?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,385 times
Wisteria- So happy for you! Your guardian angel has been working overtime. Your new place sounds wonderful! And so glad your daughter is visiting again. I had to pinch the bridge of my nose to keep tears of joy for you from rolling down my cheeks.

You, karcon, anomaly and desert spirit have been our pioneers from this thread paving the way for the rest of us. The hard part is over. Now, you get to make a new home for yourself in a lovely place. Very best wishes to you.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Thank you all!! I tried to give reps to all who commented, but, I guess I already gave them too short a time ago...but know that I am grateful to all of you wonderful women!!

I don't have photos, yet, however, my daughter did take some on her cell phone, but I don't know if her phone transfers them to her computer -- she will check.

Yes, it is a very odd serendipity. I am still anxious because all three parties have to be finished with all of this: my buyers/me, the seller and buyer/and the seller for my new place! It's like musical chairs!

The buyers for my place came through today for the water inspection (pipes under the sinks, etc.). Apparently, it went well and their realtor said there were many oohs and ahhhs as they traveled through the property. It will be sad to see the beautiful gardens left behind, but it is time for me to move to my RETIREMENT HOME ON THE BEACH! Hahaha! How funny that sounds. To think I never thought I'd be back here after this house sold, and now I'm going to be in an even better location! Fate/God sure likes to play tricks!

As time goes on and I get settled I will post photos. I will have two bedrooms, too, so I'm sure I'll be having guests in Paradise!

I'm still pinching myself (hope I don't wake up from this one!), and I spent the last three days doing all kinds of document/bank/realtor work, plus visiting with my daughter, who was quite impressed to see what mom managed to do! She still can't get over it -- she just keeps saying, "Mom, you're going to live in a resort village in Santa Cruz ... within walking distance of the beach!! How cool is that?!"

Maybe there is a guardian angel here -- I worked very hard to get this place ready, put up with a lot prior to that, and am still working hard. In 5 months I will be 62, so even if the worst happened and I got laid off from work (it's happening where I am), I'd have that to fall back on. It is surreal to think that my retirement home is this beautiful park in Santa Cruz, close to the beach, downtown, the Boardwalk and wonderful shops, cafes and bookstores. There's also a Farmer's Market just around the corner from the park on Sundays.

What is so strange to me is that I have never had money. I have always just kind of gotten by -- and I know that my family was always surprised how I ended up in such nice places. Of course, I have never lived in a McMansion, but that's okay, because it's really the environment that makes it for me. And here it is again. I thought I was saying "good-bye," when actually, I was saying, "Hello!"

I do hope this is an inspiration to everyone. I still won't have a lot of time to post right now, but I am catching up. Thank you for all your support, encouragement and cheerleading!! I have needed that, and you would be surprised how many times I would look at something, or hear about something, and think, "Oh, I bet Knoxgarden would like that," or "This pot looks like what Dancingearth would love," or "I remember when Anomoly spotted that pelican," (today I thought that while on the wharf!), or "Karcon went through a lot these last ten years, too, and she is making it, so I can do it too, somehow," or "I wonder how MN2CO's doing with her dogs," and "I think Nancy thereader would love watching the surfers at Pleasure Point."

All of you are with me, whether you know it or not. I draw on the strength and encouragement of this wonderful group of women who are drawn together by a common cause - to live life fully, in a place that suits them, and to afford the good life according to each woman's definition. I am sure this is NOT the end of my story, and I have many stories to tell! I am still in the middle of this chapter, but feeling more hopeful each day.

Thank you for your words of wisdom, advice, laughter and friendship! It is very precious!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM

73 posts, read 299,649 times
Way to go Wisteria! Sounds like a Home Run !!!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:55 PM

65 posts, read 163,896 times
Default Inspiration

Wisteria, YOU are an inspiration to everyone. Thank you for helping to show us the way. Your new house is lucky to have you.

Glorida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.