U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 PM

205 posts, read 360,283 times

Advertisements

Wisteria; it is I (or all of us) who should be thanking you. You started this thread. I found the thread, you, and all of the other wonderful, courageous women when I was beginning my new journey, alone, terrified, and absolutely no idea what I was going to do or where I was going.

What is so strange to me is that I have never had money. I have always just kind of gotten by -- and I know that my family was always surprised how I ended up in such nice places. Of course, I have never lived in a McMansion, but that's okay, because it's really the environment that makes it for me. And here it is again. I thought I was saying "good-bye," when actually, I was saying, "Hello!" That is exactly the path my life has been. Never had any money, always just kind of gotten by, raising kids alone - but we have done it with such grace!

This is NOT the end of our story. But the beginning of another chapter. We have a lot left to explore.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
(Another lurker de-lurking)

I started reading this thread about a month ago (had to take breaks to work, ya know? ), starting with Wisteria's very happy and up-beat first post.

This read like a book - and it had a happy ending. Hurrah! Congrats!

(Me? About 4 years from retirement, a Californian living way down south from Wisteria. Planning to move to somewhere in what I call the 'Arizona Pinetree Triangle'.

Looking at anywhere (with trees) between Flagstaff - Show Low - Prescott, and haven't made up my mind yet. Taking 2 weeks in October to go and start snooping around. I refuse to retire in any place that has a 7 month summer, like where I am now. 105 degrees for weeks on end is not fun. I had a cabin up near Lake Arrowhead years back, and I still kick myself for selling it.

I could retire now, but I have about 3 years left on my mortgage here in the desert. A bigger reason, though, is that I'm the designated one to take care of Mom - - Ladies, she's 88, still drives, and still lives alone!

I have other plans, but that would make this post too long, LOL)

Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,059,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Wisteria- You, karcon, anomaly and desert spirit have been our pioneers from this thread paving the way for the rest of us.
Dancing Earth- I intended to include you here but had a senior moment and by the time I was able to get back online, it was too late to edit. Sorry! Anyone else who has made their move since this thread started, forgive me if I omitted you!

So nice to see some of our group finding their place in the sun!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,058,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
All of you are with me, whether you know it or not. I draw on the strength and encouragement of this wonderful group of women who are drawn together by a common cause - to live life fully, in a place that suits them, and to afford the good life according to each woman's definition. I am sure this is NOT the end of my story, and I have many stories to tell! I am still in the middle of this chapter, but feeling more hopeful each day.

Thank you for your words of wisdom, advice, laughter and friendship! It is very precious!
Thank you, Wisteria for letting us in on your journey too! It helps all of us in our various stages of making our new lives. I am so glad this worked out for you. Even tho the house $$ wasn't what you hoped for, it was sounding like you really needed to get out from under it - and you did! With great buyers you can be confident will give it the love it deserves. Then just when you think all is lost, you turned around and there was a better solution than you had thought. I'm inclined to think that your own hard work and kind soul gave you your breaks.

I lived in a trailer for almost a year when in college. It was a good place. They can be good places especially in CA where you have little risk of becoming Dorothy and Toto. Your new place sounds really nice (except for those limited pets). And now, even if later you decide you want to relocate when you fully retire, it won't be a desperation situation like before. So good for you not to be in over your head anymore. I wonder if the ragmuffin cat could stay there with the new owners. They need some help to keep the mice away and an indoor/outdoor cat is great for that.

I got busy and didn't see your good news until this am - I've been searching for a good dog for my 90 year old mother. I might have found one.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:08 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,058,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
OK. I finally made the decision to move to Portland, next year if, God willing, my house sells. I will be retired so employment is not an issue. I guess it's a sign if I cry each time I leave Portland. It just feels like home to me. I will feel younger with the public transportation in a very walkable city with a variety of neighborhoods of interest. I love the feel of the city - relaxed, easygoing gentlefolk. I get great vibes when I'm there. The Pacific NW has been calling me for 21 years, and I chose Portland vs. Seattle. I love Seattle, but would prefer to live in Portland. Plus I will be in the Pacific NW with access to many lovely places.
I'm still thinking about this too for the same reasons as you cited. But before I make a final decision, I plan on living there for a month in Jan. Right now, it looks like Jan 2011 will be the test and hopefully, I will be able to sell my house in 2011. I just put up an absurd "make me move" price for it on Zillow and immediately got a bid from a Realtor . I'm not really ready to sell it yet, but hey, pay me a lot more than it is worth and I'll vacate sooner. I too, am betting that having no need for employment will make all that a non-factor for me.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 PM

8,237 posts, read 18,531,752 times
Well, wish me luck. Today I formally put my small townhouse here on Long Island on the market. It was so hard to sign those papers , but it was something that I have wanted to do for so long. Sometimes I even go back and look at those nascent wistful posts we all made all those many months ago. What a wonderful group of wise and strong women you all are.

It is true, this thread is like a book with everyone's story so different yet somehow interwoven into a rich tapestry . I would imagine that our thread is unique to the whole internet. I cannot imagine that there is another one quite like it.

And, it's not finished.........there's more to come .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,959,273 times
Nancy, have you decided where you are moving?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 AM

205 posts, read 360,283 times
Nancy, welcome to the club of "taking that first step." I know how hard it is to actually decide to sell you house, especially when you are not sure just where it is you are going. But you are headed in the right direction. Keep us all posted on this journey you have begun!

Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 AM

3,416 posts, read 5,143,738 times
Wisteria - wonderful news. I hope the next steps that all have to take place before you turn the key in your new front door go so smoothly that you are not stressed at all.

Sometimes the dream can evolve and we find ourselves in a very different place, situation than we first imagined but it turns out to be better for us and we can look back and realize that we are happier with what did come about than we would have been had the original path been followed. At least that is what happened to me and I'm so glad my "dream" did not work out, it might have actually been a nightmare.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times
Nice, good for you! A townhouse should sell quickly. Where are you headed and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Well, wish me luck. Today I formally put my small townhouse here on Long Island on the market. It was so hard to sign those papers , but it was something that I have wanted to do for so long. Sometimes I even go back and look at those nascent wistful posts we all made all those many months ago. What a wonderful group of wise and strong women you all are.

It is true, this thread is like a book with everyone's story so different yet somehow interwoven into a rich tapestry . I would imagine that our thread is unique to the whole internet. I cannot imagine that there is another one quite like it.

And, it's not finished.........there's more to come .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement