U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 08:15 PM

9 posts, read 19,025 times

Advertisements

Thank you MollyB'

Old 07-12-2009, 08:33 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,218,356 times
Riversglow,

The cost of living IS high in Baltimore, particularly Baltimore City. Its property tax is twice that of the surrounding counties and utilities are high. I even had to pay local taxes for my landline phone as well as each cell phone on a family plan. I think it was $4 per line/month, small amount, but really p.o.ed me after a while. The murder rate is ridiculous so most folks don't bother reporting the trivial car break-ins, etc. (including me.)

I currently live in a lovely neighborhood immediately outside of the city. Taxes are less, neighborhood is relatively safe, and I can walk to the grocery store, the bank, video store, coffee shop, ice cream shop, etc. However, the homes in my neighborhood are not inexpensive.

Then again, you live in New Jersey, yes? So perhaps you wouldn't consider Baltimore expensive. I mean, it's all relative, right?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riversglow View Post
... I'm looking for a place in nature - sea, river, mountains, etc - because that's where I feel the best. I presently rent a condo directly across the street from a natural river and love it. I've been checking out places along the eastern seaboard and even checked out Vancouver, BC. Would like to live in a moderate temperature zone (don't do well with hot/cold extremes), where people are progressive, friendly, down-to-earth and the environment is healthy.
I was just trying to meet this criteria, but it could be 'subjective', as you are considering ''the Chesapeake Bay area and Baltimore'

I don't go east of Colorado or WY in the summer to avoid muggy heat.

Quote:
I've even entertained the idea of sharing ownership with other compatible adults in a big house, in a place of nature, but haven't stumbled on anything like this yet.
There is a group of gals who bought a nice large older home in Bremerton, WA; I'm not sure if they are a co-op or an LLC, but they bought it as a group. There are lots of options, and many folks wanting to do the same. Consider 'fractional ownership', and have a spot in 'cool night' country (PNW... absolutely cannot beat the summers), and one in Chesapeake area, great for fall and spring. Get a place with guest qtrs in each, in case the owners 'overlap' stays. Just hop on the plane and commute between places. You can have a cheap car at each, or hopefully you won't need a car at either end. There is a good network of 'zip-cars' and the like out west (loaner / community rental cars).

Good luck and happy hunting (that is the fun part, NOT wading through 'downsizing')

Old 07-13-2009, 11:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
What a fabulous townhouse! I love what you do with fabrics, textures, colors, every room is like a painting. It's so liveable and inviting. And I'm astounded and pleased for you that your condo commands such a high price. There's few condos around my rather upscale area that are small that could go for that much. Your community/town must be quite wonderful. Yours will sell quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Hi Everyone <><><><><><><>

I just thought I would post a link to the real estate that has my house listed. It's just a tiny condo, but the real estate agent really photographed it nicely and already people are looking at it. (I don't like to be there when they come, though.) I guess it is worth it to have it listed professionally.
Wish me luck . . . . .

Babylon, NY 11702 | MLS# 2202250

Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Quote:
wabanaki :
who own the land, if not home owner association, how long can you keep the mobile home there.
Mobile Home parks vary wherever you are. This one is in an unincorporated area of Santa Cruz, which means the city is not involved in the same way as the ones within the city proper.

This is a family-owned park, been in their family for generations. It has about 200 spaces, and, obviously, is quiet and clean because it's a 55+ park.

Things can happen no matter where you are. In the city of Santa Cruz the city quit fighting with new owners of a park right ON the beach -- DeAnza Park -- and most residents had to leave -- the new owners are looking for retired millionaires -- the rents are $36,000/YEAR!! So, on the MLS you will see beautiful homes going for $45,000 and might think, "What a deal," until you find out they charge you $3,000/month for a space fee!!!

This one has "rent control," don't know if that's an incremental rent per year or what. At this point, I can't worry about it because there is no place cheaper to live in Santa Cruz, it is well-maintained, quiet, pretty and in a great location. There are many mobile home parks in the area I'm in, but some are all-age, and a bit dumpy -- but I truly think that many of those homes because they are within a five minute walk to the beach are for "surfer dude" types. Where I will be it is very, very clean, one of the rules is you MUST have flowers and tropical plants and decorative touches in the front of each house. No clutter, no old cars, no junk. So, driving through is really quite lovely -- not to mention it's only 3 blocks to the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversglow
... I'm looking for a place in nature - sea, river, mountains, etc - because that's where I feel the best. I presently rent a condo directly across the street from a natural river and love it. I've been checking out places along the eastern seaboard and even checked out Vancouver, BC. Would like to live in a moderate temperature zone (don't do well with hot/cold extremes), where people are progressive, friendly, down-to-earth and the environment is healthy.
Quote:
StealthRabbit: I don't go east of Colorado or WY in the summer to avoid muggy heat.
I'm with StealthRabbit on the muggy/humidity part! Whoa, I sure remember those days -- no thank you.

As for looking at the PNW, if you have not lived in a rainy place, and I do mean rainy (!), I would highly suggest renting during a full winter there. There is no really nice Spring -- a few intermittent days without rain and a little sun to tease you and the best time of year is August -- it is sunny every day. No snow, but definitely big huge banana slugs from the dampness, there are baseboard heaters in the houses to dry up the mold, it is like the mist of Niagara Falls many days -- many days. I thought it was an anomoly when I moved to Seattle -- I really didn't believe it was that bad. But my raincoat became my constant companion. Oh, there will be days without rain, but not many. It's not like in the east where you get those thunderstorms and then they clear and everything is nice. No real thunderstorms to speak of there -- just rain. Just clouds. Just moisture.
Seriously, take six months if you can and go during that season -- rent for a whole year if you can.

The big joke around there when I lived there was waiting for July 4th -- that's when it started to warm up. Before then it was that constant damp chilly weather. You really have to love rain and mist and clouds to live there. I couldn't do it. I have SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) really bad and couldn't make it. Seattle and the surrounding towns, and Portland, are beautiful -- they really are. And they are well-designed. But don't let all the nice things there fool you -- you will be covered in raincoats and umbrellas most of the time. It was truly a disappointment to me because Seattle is a really beautiful city, but even Mt. Rainier, which is spectacular, only came out in August. People would walk around and exclaim, "The mountain is out!" It's that rare to see it. Think carefully about it, and really investigate.

Well, I'm back to work today, and I have spent all weekend during house inspections, dragging things to the storage shed I rented, sorting through boxes -- it is never-ending.

I will keep you posted. Oh, and Nancy the reader, your condo is gorgeous!! I think people are right -- that will be snapped up very quickly!!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,548,911 times
Wisteria,

I am very happy that you have settled some of your problems in your life. Now, just relax, walk to the beach and enjoy all there is to enjoy. When, I looked at your pictures, it again brought memories back of my time at the Presidio of Monterey. The Beaches, the smell of the ocean, the seafood--just all of California. You are very, very fortunate. You could have still been in Cheektowaga.

Livecontent

Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. This has always been a most supportive group of women.

I did notice, though, that the photos show wood floors and the listing says it's carpeted

Gee, Knox. I didn't notice that; I'll have to check that out and tell the agent. Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 PM

Lenora
I was hoping I was wrong about Baltimore being expensive. I was unaware of the high crime rate - Baltimore doesn't seem so attractive now. And yes, NJ's cost of living is also high. Maybe I should put off considering a relocation move for the time being and just concentrate on getting a practice going. I do live in a great neighborhood right now, along the river and just a few blocks walk to a charming downtown. Thanks for the heads up on Md.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. This has always been a most supportive group of women.

I did notice, though, that the photos show wood floors and the listing says it's carpeted

Gee, Knox. I didn't notice that; I'll have to check that out and tell the agent. Thanks.

I've been spending way too much time watching Househunters on HGTV. They're always going on about wanting wood floors over carpeting.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was just trying to meet this criteria, but it could be 'subjective', as you are considering ''the Chesapeake Bay area and Baltimore'
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

I don't go east of Colorado or WY in the summer to avoid muggy heat.

There is a group of gals who bought a nice large older home in Bremerton, WA; I'm not sure if they are a co-op or an LLC, but they bought it as a group. There are lots of options, and many folks wanting to do the same. Consider 'fractional ownership', and have a spot in 'cool night' country (PNW... absolutely cannot beat the summers), and one in Chesapeake area, great for fall and spring. Get a place with guest qtrs in each, in case the owners 'overlap' stays. Just hop on the plane and commute between places. You can have a cheap car at each, or hopefully you won't need a car at either end. There is a good network of 'zip-cars' and the like out west (loaner / community rental cars).

Good luck and happy hunting (that is the fun part, NOT wading through 'downsizing')

StealthRabbit

I also don't like muggy heat or even dry heat - love cool night air to sleep by. Problem is living on the east coast - which is close to my family - is where the muggy hot weather is and where the weather is more to my liking... is too far from my family. I will google "fractional ownership" to see what comes up. I laughed when I read your "Just hop on the plane and commute between places". I am definitely not a good traveler when it comes to flying. I'd rather travel by car than fly anytime. But, I think for now, I will concentrate on getting my practice off the ground. Now that's what I'd love to see take off and fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement