U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 06:17 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,217,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversglow View Post
Lenora
I was hoping I was wrong about Baltimore being expensive. I was unaware of the high crime rate - Baltimore doesn't seem so attractive now. And yes, NJ's cost of living is also high. Maybe I should put off considering a relocation move for the time being and just concentrate on getting a practice going. I do live in a great neighborhood right now, along the river and just a few blocks walk to a charming downtown. Thanks for the heads up on Md.
OMG...I didn't mean to imply that all of Maryland is similar to Baltimore. There are lovely towns in Maryland that are safe, clean, and not as expensive as Baltimore. Downtown Annapolis (on the Bay) is wonderful. Housing may be too pricey - but taxes are lower than Baltimore. It all depends on your needs/wants for climate and what you can afford. There are also sites on "the other side" of the Bay Bridge that you may like. Nevertheless, if you choose to remain in your current location and build up your practice, I wish you the best.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
I just received this information about Lynchburg, Virginia. It sounds nice with COL 15% national average and reasonably priced homes, public transportation available, etc. Here is the link:

Lynchburg, Virginia - Real Estate - Community Life - Best Place to Retire in the U.S. - Homes for Sale

Old 07-15-2009, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 19,024 times
Lenora

My mistake in writing "thanks for the heads up on MD". I really meant to type Baltimore not MD. I hadn't been considering other parts of MD outside of the Chesapeake Bay area and Baltimore. So, I had not assumed that you were referring to all of Md when you were talking about Baltimore. I'm not sure what I will do about re-locating. Today I was researching Bucks County, PA.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:34 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,952,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I just received this information about Lynchburg, Virginia. It sounds nice with COL 15% national average and reasonably priced homes, public transportation available, etc. Here is the link:

Lynchburg, Virginia - Real Estate - Community Life - Best Place to Retire in the U.S. - Homes for Sale
COL 15% below the national average.......

Old 07-16-2009, 02:30 PM

205 posts, read 359,955 times
Well, having decided to stay where I am I finally did something I have not done in the 23 years I've lived here. I went to a shuttle launch. From where I live you can see the launches pretty well and it is a good view (especially a night launch). But to actually see and hear it up close and personal is truly amazing. I was directly across from the launch pad (well about a mile or two) sitting on the banks of the Indian River in Space View Park in Titusville and it was an unforgetable experience. I actually went on Sunday (after it had been scrubbed on Saturday) arriving at noon with lift off scheduled for 7:13 p.m. only to have the launch scrubbed. Went back on Monday (another scrub) and then yesterday - success!!!! Not only is it amazing to see so close but several minutes after launch (when you can barely see anything) the roar of the shuttle finally rolls across the marsh and the river and that is an experience you can't have unless you are actually there. Another item on my "bucket list" crossed off!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Default Karcon

Cool!
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/1.gif (broken link)

Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM

796 posts, read 776,784 times
Karcon: I had to smile when reading your story. Why is it that people will travel from miles around to see something that is in our own backyards and yet somehow we don't take the time to go there?

Where I live there used to be 2 (now only 1) big shopping outlet complexes. People came from all over to shop for bargains. If I was out sometimes people would ask me directions to them. I couldn't help them because I was never there. They couldn't believe that!

I also live near a museum which I had not been to since I was a child (believe me that was a long long time ago) and they used to have something special for kids every Easter. Two years ago something just made me think of it and I decided to go there. I had no idea how beautiful the grounds had become. There is a creek running through it, some ducks and sometimes geese, lots of flowers and a walking path. They have benches along the path and I just sat on one and enjoyed the peace and quiet listening to the water rushing over the rocks and watching the squirrels chasing each other. My mother had just died and it was exactly what I needed at that time. This place was about 10 minutes from my home and I never took advantage of it. Since then I have become a member of the museum and do a little volunteer work for them.

My point is I identify with your post. I guess sometimes we just need to open our eyes to what is already around us. My story is not as exciting as yours though. I bet that was something to see. So glad you had that experience.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM

205 posts, read 359,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
Karcon: I had to smile when reading your story. Why is it that people will travel from miles around to see something that is in our own backyards and yet somehow we don't take the time to go there?

Where I live there used to be 2 (now only 1) big shopping outlet complexes. People came from all over to shop for bargains. If I was out sometimes people would ask me directions to them. I couldn't help them because I was never there. They couldn't believe that!

I also live near a museum which I had not been to since I was a child (believe me that was a long long time ago) and they used to have something special for kids every Easter. Two years ago something just made me think of it and I decided to go there. I had no idea how beautiful the grounds had become. There is a creek running through it, some ducks and sometimes geese, lots of flowers and a walking path. They have benches along the path and I just sat on one and enjoyed the peace and quiet listening to the water rushing over the rocks and watching the squirrels chasing each other. My mother had just died and it was exactly what I needed at that time. This place was about 10 minutes from my home and I never took advantage of it. Since then I have become a member of the museum and do a little volunteer work for them.

My point is I identify with your post. I guess sometimes we just need to open our eyes to what is already around us. My story is not as exciting as yours though. I bet that was something to see. So glad you had that experience.
DJ10; what a great story you have. How true, we rarely take advantage of what is in our own backyard. The place you are describing sounds like absolute heaven! What a perfectly beautiful, tranquil place you have there. And the fact that you "discovered" or "rediscovered" it at the time you needed it the most makes it all the more special. My story (while the experience was exciting) is fleeting. Your's is a place you can go to as often as you like (or need to).

Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM

796 posts, read 776,784 times
Don't want to bore you with my story but I just wanted to share a little something more about the museum.

This didn't happen the first time I was there but maybe around the third time. I was feeling pretty low that day missing my Mom. I was sitting on the bench along the water where there are a lot of trees. There was a small tree directly in front of me and while sitting there a red cardinal flew past me and sat on a branch of that tree for a while.

The significance was my Mom loved to watch birds. She had several bird figurines and as you may have guessed by now the red cardinal was her favorite. People would buy her all kinds of things with cardinals on them.

You don't see many cardinals around here and to be sitting there missing her and have this happen was quite a moment for me. I guess when these things happen we make of it what we want. Whether it truly is a sign of something who knows. It was just somthing that I'll never forget.

Sorry for dragging you down memory lane with me. I'm getting off-topic here but it's just something I wanted to share.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,392,568 times
Beautiful story, dj10, really baeutiful. I think it was more than a coincidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement