U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 PM

9 posts, read 19,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
Don't want to bore you with my story but I just wanted to share a little something more about the museum.

This didn't happen the first time I was there but maybe around the third time. I was feeling pretty low that day missing my Mom. I was sitting on the bench along the water where there are a lot of trees. There was a small tree directly in front of me and while sitting there a red cardinal flew past me and sat on a branch of that tree for a while.

The significance was my Mom loved to watch birds. She had several bird figurines and as you may have guessed by now the red cardinal was her favorite. People would buy her all kinds of things with cardinals on them.

You don't see many cardinals around here and to be sitting there missing her and have this happen was quite a moment for me. I guess when these things happen we make of it what we want. Whether it truly is a sign of something who knows. It was just somthing that I'll never forget.

Sorry for dragging you down memory lane with me. I'm getting off-topic here but it's just something I wanted to share.

It was more than a sign, dj10; you got the message. Your Mom was letting you know that she was with you, knew what you were feeling in your heart and letting you know that you were not alone.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,262 times
Yes, a beautiful story, dj10. Such a comfort!

I am just checking in during my hectic days of becoming a resident of the City of Santa Cruz. My realtor just called yesterday and said that the buyers of my place in the woods had signed off all contingencies, and the money will be transfered into my account within 2 weeks. THEN, I have to do all my stuff and figure out will I stay in my old place and rent-back for awhile, or will I be able to get into the new place before that?? I don't know. I still need to have an appraisal, and my loan was approved, and I passed the park "interview," so it's on track.

I have to admit that I am getting excited about living in Santa Cruz. All these years up in the woods, and Santa Cruz was just a get-away for a day, usually. Now, I will be there daily.

This weekend I was down at the storage facility in Santa Cruz and was amazed at what the sky looks like with no redwoods in the way!
Wow, clear blue skies, it was warm, a slight ocean breeze, sunny, just beautiful.

Never did I dream that my retirement home would be in Santa Cruz just a few blocks from the beach. The Universe works in mysterious ways!

I'm trying to keep up with posts, but I have just been swamped with packing and sorting, and tossing, and deciding what to keep and what to leave. The new buyers are a young and very excited couple to have this mountain resort! But, they have no furniture! So, since most of mine is pretty old, or bought piece-meal at yard sales or even left from the former owner before me, I may leave a lot of it for them. I am sure that part of the charm that they saw in this property was not only the gorgeous gardens, but also just the charm of the cottage. I don't have much anyway, so I can start anew -- and it may be better to start fresh. After all, hopefully, this will be the last home I live in (unless I totally forget who I am and then I guess I'll be someplace else and not know it! ).

I am recruiting other women to join me. I have two possible takers, so far. We actually CAN build a community here! It just never dawned on me, although I do recall that StealthRabbit had mentioned something of this sort, only we won't be owning the whole park.
It will be very strange to live in town after 13 years of living remotely in the woods. I am looking forward to it now. At first, I was a bit nervous about leaving here, but now after being there more often, I am seeing things I just never noticed before: various kinds of ethnic restaurants, shops, cafes, little things that I just never saw.

What is even more weird to me, is that Santa Cruz is a virtual beach-side Paradise in many ways, and lots of people would love to live here, but can't. It amazes me that this will be my retirement home! I am both grateful and happy that not only do the buyers love my place, but I will be in a better place for aging (believe it or not, although Santa Cruz is a college town, there are lots of Boomers here, too!!).

I will be checking in little-by-little. There is just so much to do, and I am doing it alone. But I'm still doing it. In another month, I can finally start relaxing (I sure hope so!).

In the meantime, how is DancingEarth doing?? Haven't seen her here for awhile. Has Anomoly hooked up with DancingEarth yet??

Hope all is well. See you later!

Wisteria
, new resident of Santa Cruz!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-08-2009 at 05:09 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am recruiting other women to join me. I have two possible takers, so far. We actually CAN build a community here! It just never dawned on me, although I do recall that StealthRabbit had mentioned something of this sort, only we won't be owning the whole park. ...
Hope all is well. See you later!

Wisteria
, new resident of Santa Cruz!
congrats and best wishes on a 'happy' transition.

Keep your relationship with the landlords positive and eventually they may warm to the idea of selling the park to the residents. If so, these guys (non-profit) can help with that transaction. ROC USA - Making Resident-Ownership of Manufactured Home Communities Viable Nationwide

I'm very happy for you, (In spite of being very buried and discouraged in hopes of ever getting 'free'.) A very tough 'Birthday' weekend taking a closer look at 'reality', and getting the bills for unexpected water-well issues (several thousand $$ worth).

Old 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM

52 posts, read 144,044 times
Default Pure Joy

Wisteria,
I can feel your joy in your post. What an unbelievable outcome, after all you've been through. Santa Cruz sounds great to me, but I'm about 12 years away, if all goes well. I never thought about California because of the expense, but who knows. Maybe it will be "do-able' for me as well. Thanks for the hope.
Glorida

Old 07-20-2009, 04:43 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,519,100 times
I am just checking in during my hectic days of becoming a resident of the City of Santa Cruz. My realtor just called yesterday and said that the buyers of my place in the woods had signed off all contingencies, and the money will be transfered into my account within 2 weeks.

I cannot wait until I am in this position. So far, no one has offered to buy my house even though I did lower the price. Unfortunately two others right nearby are for sale so I do have competition. Well, I'll justhaver to wait around for the one (or two) people who will fall in love with my house the way the people did with wisteria's.
It is so insulting when people look through your home and then decide that it is not "good enough" or something. (Like what is wrong with my little place????) That's why when anyone comes, I make sure that I am NOT here.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,395,135 times
Nancy, It's best to be gone while people are looking - for lots of reasons, including any comments they might make. Good luck - it will happen - your little home is quite enchanting - I'd grab it in a New York minute.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:32 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,005 times
Default Building a community where you are!

Wisteria just said something I think we are all saying and it is exciting.
So many people are looking for "a place - a community" - the best place to retire/live/grow. For some, it will be relocating/for others, particularly with the present housing market, it may not be possible.

There isn't any one "perfect" place for everyone to go - there wouldn't be enough room unless we take over a town and start to annex the surrounding area . And what is perfect for one, isn't for another - i.e. ties to family/desire for certain terrain/seasons/weather/rural v urban/. So it has crossed my mind, what if those who can't sell their places considered "house-sharing" with someone who is looking to relocate to that area? What if we built networks throughout the country of women who are looking to be somewhere where a sense of community exists (founded or developed/enhanced by similarly-community-minded women) - it could be having separate places like in Wisteria's Santa Cruz development or anywhere?

Before I left Florida, I really toyed with the idea of turning my house into a gathering place where women could come together-have fun-have some breathing room-build relationships. It wasn't to be because of the "lemony-snicket" aspects that life can do to you, but the dream was plausible - just not the time or place it seemed. But it leaves me with that belief that within each of us that is longing for community, a respite, there isn't any one place - there is the ability to develop where we are if we are trapped there by the economy/housing issues. And the ability to open up our communities to other wandering souls.

So three cheers for Wisteria - you may be building "your community"! I think there is going to be more and more a need for those, fellow treckers on the trail. Some will be in the South with all the humidity (gives us a dewy glow, ladies); some will be in the tundra (nice red cheeks from the cold) and some will be in the dry southwest/the beaches of santa cruz - working together to keep costs down, have a support base in place, ahh, we are building our own stability. Love it.

For now, where I will be exploring is the south - i'm pretty comfortable in Virginia down to Florida - presently in N.C. with ties in several places. I'm a displaced homeowner/lost all my equity in southwest Florida with the crash but I'm an innovative little beast and I know that that was just a character-building exercise that forces me to work more with others because I can't just self-fund me anymore.

I call my vitual community "the inner-moose cottage" - the wonderful thing is that whereever I go, the inner muse is there - so home becomes whereever i am at the moment. let's build those "inner-moose cottages" for us all!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:43 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,005 times
Default Happy Birthday? "stealth rabbit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
congrats and best wishes on a 'happy' transition.

Keep your relationship with the landlords positive and eventually they may warm to the idea of selling the park to the residents. If so, these guys (non-profit) can help with that transaction. ROC USA - Making Resident-Ownership of Manufactured Home Communities Viable Nationwide

I'm very happy for you, (In spite of being very buried and discouraged in hopes of ever getting 'free'.) A very tough 'Birthday' weekend taking a closer look at 'reality', and getting the bills for unexpected water-well issues (several thousand $$ worth).
Stealth - sorry to hear you had a bad birthday weekend but it sparked me to ask - when was your birthday? Saturday, perhaps? Totally off-topic, but if so KINDRED JULY 18th PERSON! Ok, maybe not, but this past weekend was my birthday as well and I stood like Scarlett O'Hara at Tara and said "next year, I am not going to be in the same place" and it wasn't really a geographic statement but more a renewed affirmation of Independence Day from what is dampening my spirit. Don't give up on freedom - it's internal - we could have some other commonalities -been there for the water-well thing too and the giving up on ever being free from a lot of things - it didn't work out quite the way i expected - not at all what i had asked for - but each day, i seem to be more who i am than i ever was so maybe it took all of what has happened to cut through the layers and get back to myself. either way, the chains weren't quite as unbreakable as i thought or even sometimes think. Hang in there!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A very tough 'Birthday' weekend taking a closer look at 'reality', and getting the bills for unexpected water-well issues (several thousand $$ worth).
Well yes, such is the case with all of us in limited circumstances (and most are these days, I think). Honestly, I'm now wondering about the whole home ownership thing for a single person, seems like the actual costs cannot be borne anymore, not linked with real incomes. There has GOT to be a way to share resources/utilities. What a waste for one person to bear, even in better times. The challenge is, how to design a situation in which utilities and resources are shared but other aspects of living can remain private. How about a common house with kitchenette areas, electricity for appliances and lights, and then private cottages with little wood stoves and no electricity for a quiet life in tune with nature? I'd move to such a place in a minute, if not too remote....

Old 07-21-2009, 10:01 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,978 times
Cool I did it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well yes, such is the case with all of us in limited circumstances (and most are these days, I think). Honestly, I'm now wondering about the whole home ownership thing for a single person, seems like the actual costs cannot be borne anymore, not linked with real incomes. There has GOT to be a way to share resources/utilities. What a waste for one person to bear, even in better times. The challenge is, how to design a situation in which utilities and resources are shared but other aspects of living can remain private. How about a common house with kitchenette areas, electricity for appliances and lights, and then private cottages with little wood stoves and no electricity for a quiet life in tune with nature? I'd move to such a place in a minute, if not too remote....
This is similar to what I did (for 30+ years) as a frugal, working, single-mom, living in one of the most prestigious communities in Miami.

A homeowner who is in a position of needing $$ to enhance income might consider renting out part of the house by dividing it into a separate unit. All you need is one or two rooms, a bathroom, and a door to the outside; any connecting doors to your living space would be LOCKED!. Then consider renting out the furnished unit to a single, quiet individual. Also, a small 'fridge and microwave oven would be an asset to the renter. Total privacy for everyone and extra $$ for the homeowner to help maintain the property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement