U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 02:55 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Coney, are you moving to CA? FL?
Not in the near future; but someday it will be one or the other If I had my d'ruthers it would be California Dreamin' but what little family I have is located in Florida - so dunno

Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,058,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Cute tale, but that mouse is probably back in your house by now. :eek Yes, I hate mices to pieces ... Living out in the country they are a very destructive pest.
A few years back when the acreage next door was undeveloped, the owner plowed every February and April. Afterward, I would find little furry gray critters in my house. I used humane traps and each time I caught a mouse, being the kind-hearted soul that I am (but not wanting them to return to my abode), I drove each little mousie to a country cemetery a couple of miles away. I was satisfied they wouldn't do too much damage there. Only after I had done this several times did I notice that there was a home in the little cluster of trees across the street. Oops! I'm sure the people living there wouldn't have appreciated my delivering my little rodent cargo to their doorstep---repeatedly.

MN2CO I hope you and the pets traumatized the mouse enough that he won't try to rejoin your household.

Coney, I love your picture! I have doves that nest atop my porch light. I also find dove nests in other unexpected nooks and crannies and they are very welcome guests.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
I'm hoping the little **** went to his mouse internet and sent out a broadcast to all his miece friends not to go to XXXX address: "There are wild animals that live there and worst of all, a hugh, really ugly monster - maybe Shrek - so if you value your life you will STAY AWAY!!!".

If not, I have my guard cat & dogs to protect me.

I hauled & layed 15 bags of pea gravel today and I'm hurtin for certin tonight. Time for a soak in the tub with Epson salts.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Hey, ladies - how's life?

Tesaje - you must be close to retirement - yea!
Yup! I've worked my last July. 5 more months and I'm a free lady!

Last night I met a friend for dinner and went thru her calculations like I've done mine. She is in better shape than she thought and now has more options than she thought. She has more work to do, but now she is on her way to finding her end date instead of assuming she has to stay at a job she doesn't like with a very long commute for 3-5 more years.

I'm finding my equanimity towards my impending departure to be a little weird. 3 years ago when I figured out I really could go at this time, I was so eager I thought I couldn't wait. Now that it is on my doorstep, I feel very neutral towards it. I'm not afraid - my detailed planning has me confident I'll be fine, but I'm not chomping at the bit either. Weird.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Tesaje - You'll probably go round 'n round with the emotions. It's one thing to talk about it, it's another to do it - but, you sound like you are ready so just go for it.

My retirement happened quickly, no planning for it (aside from the years of the 401K stuff). I couldn't stop feeling quilty - that ingrained "thing" about YOU MUST BE WORKING OR YOU'RE A S--L-U-G. But shortly after I left, my feelings that I and everyone else would be leaving whether we wanted to or not, came true. I had other slugs to keep me company so I felt better.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
And I just went to the title company last night and signed for my mobile home by the beach! It's so weird. I am moving next weekend! This weekend still packing. Too much to do, too little time.

Nancy thereader and another friend from NYC may also join me here! We can start our own women's network right in Santa Cruz -- something I never dreamed possible!

I decided to stop by the mobile last night on my way home and someone was swimming in the pool and I peeked in the windows of "my" house to see it again. I have plans for it. I will be taking more before and after photos. What struck me was the sunshine! Oh, my gosh, compared to the woods, there was so much sunshine!! And it was warm!

I had to go into town during the afternoon, too, and noticed all the traffic -- then I realized it's summer and the tourists must be going to the beach -- they are paying for hotels and all to be here, and I will be living here. It is such a weird feeling when you realize where you live is a place where people pay to be. (And to know you are not wealthy, but still live here! That's the weirdest!)

So, I am off to the store, and then back to the house to begin packing up things like dishes and the sort. My storage facility shed is nearly full already. I have people lined up for next weekend. The new buyers are thrilled to have this place (and they should be -- they got a GREAT bargain on this!). I "lost" money selling, but I also got a pretty good deal where I'll be moving, so I guess it evens out. Regardless, I'll be able to pay for the mobile in retirement, whereas I could not pay for my large home in the woods in retirement. One must do what one has to do.

Being in town will be nice. There's so much to do, and Santa Cruz being a mix of wealth, students, old hippies, gays and straights, artists, musicians, intellectuals, surfers, entrepreneurs.....makes it a place where anyone can find their spot. And being such a tolerant and caring town, there is so much to do that is free and fun. It's always surprising to me that people think of Monterey as "the" place to be, when that's not true at all. Monterey is small, it's got lots of retired military (and active military, as it has the Defense Language Institute there and the old Fort Ord), and is only about 10,000 people. Santa Cruz, on the other hand, is a college town of about 50,000 and is typical as a college town: a wide variety of restaurants, music, entertainment, book stores, cafes, events, just a lot to do. Of course, having the ocean at your doorstep makes it all the more unique. I'm not sure why people don't really know about Santa Cruz but do know about Monterey, unless it's just the name. But it doesn't matter -- because we can keep the good stuff to ourselves! Haha

Got to go -- just checking in. By the way....they had to "relocate" (Have a Heart trap) a skunk living under my new house!! So, I can relate!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
-- they are paying for hotels and all to be here, and I will be living here. It is such a weird feeling when you realize where you live is a place where people pay to be. (And to know you are not wealthy, but still live here! That's the weirdest!)
I'm not sure why people don't really know about Santa Cruz but do know about Monterey, unless it's just the name. But it doesn't matter -- because we can keep the good stuff to ourselves! Haha
Yes, that is really great you found a way to stay where you really wanted to be in the first place.

People think of Monterey because it is next to Carmel and that famous golf course and Steinbeck's fish canning factory and proximity to Salinas Valley agriculture. It became iconic from these. Both are wildly famous places for the rich.

Santa Cruz was known as a fun hippish sort of place to go to school but in the 1970's they had so many alternative education experiments, UCSC got a reputation that the degree you got would not be respected as real or earned. It is easier to get to from the huge San Fran megalopolis and eventually became something of bedroom community for SF. SC used to be a pretty sleepy little town where it was an expensive but neat place to go to school, if you wren't too serious about your education. At least that what I remember of the places when I lived in the area, lo those many years ago.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:21 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
When I hear 'Santa Cruz', I don't think of the beach or the University.

I think of 'Wineries.'

What FUN!!!

(Yes, I'd visited more than a few when this was taken, LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-kissyface.jpg  

Old 08-01-2009, 03:20 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
Wisteria, I'm so glad it all worked out for you! After so much doubt and fear and worry, to see you come through it better than you ever thought you would is wonderful.
Enjoy your new life.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Just waiting for my house to sell here still . ( )
I'm not sure why no one has even made an offer. Little do they know that I would take it in a heartbeat. I just want my new life to begin. . . .

Yup! I've worked my last July

tesaje ~~~
I remember thinking this way & the count-down. Once it happens, though, your job will seem like a part of your distant past .
" Now, what was it that I did again??? "

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement