U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,309,277 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge TUnnel is neat and it goes w/o saying that the Outer Banks is great too, I love the Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk area. Were there not too long ago and am ready to go back, LOL. Best wishes, looking forward to hearing how everything goes.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM

205 posts, read 359,929 times
My parents had a beach house in Kill Devil Hills since the early 70s and retired there full time in '92. Growing up my kids spent their summers there crabbing, running up and down Jockey's Ridge, fishing, helping in the garden, and going to the amusement park. Great memories! I'm looking forward to the road trip from Red Bank, NJ - I love the Eastern Shore and the Outer Banks (OBX) of NC! Plan to eat lots of good seafood like softshell crabs - yum!!! Haven't done this trip in years and years so down memory lane. Will get to see fall and no tourists - yeah!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,391,767 times
Karcon - Your trip sounds absolutely perfect! Have a wonderful time - wish I was with you.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:02 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,512,788 times
It does really sound wonderful.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,546,947 times
Road trip sounds absolutely wonderful and in fall, just super! I have great memories of traveling with my mom and dad when I was first working but still living at home (major dental bills), every fall we'd go to Myrtle Beach, Isle of the Palms, Outer Banks, it was awesome.

A hoot for me, raised in the midwest swimming in Lake Michigan, I'd be in my bikini (those days are long gone) and the locals would be walking the beach with their sweat suits on looking at me like I was nuts!

Reading the posts, sounds like everyone is moving ahead with their plans, getting things together, organized, Wisteria with the mobile home, super, I'm glad things are falling together for you gals. I'm still hanging out here in NE Wisconsin, quite content!

I did take a week off to go to Upper Michigan, toured Copper Country for my 62nd birthday, my sister joined me for 2 days, too. I figured I deserved a break from my perpetual rock projects, of course, I picked up more can't go near Lake Superior without picking up rocks!!!

I found lots of flagstone in my yard after I moved here, I thought a few stepping stones, NOT!!! I dug off the weeds/grass, raised them, and now I'm putting smaller, flat lake rocks in between, quite a chore. One path is 3 1/2 feet wide and the length of my 2+ car garage, the other 2 areas not as big. This keeps me quite busy, I work on them alot.

The big one is by a perennial flower bed I lined it with 60 crescent blocks, before there was grass between flagstone and the flower bed, a pain to mow. I found extra flagstone buried in the yard and under the deck, too. People ask what do you find to do all day, geesh, I'm never done!!!

So that's my story, just wanted you gals to know I'm lurking and cheering you on behind the scenes, bravo for moving ahead and making plans, it all will come together! Woohoo for you!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Hey, Susan, nice of you to check in. Sounds like you are doing the same sort of thing I've been doing - I always want to change something.

Well, I had another uninvited "guest" last night. Again, I woke up to lots of noise right outside my bedroom and there was my cat pummeling this tiny mouse. She'd pick it up in in her mouth and throw it in the air - it finally landed and just layed there - looking deader than dead. I quick grabbed a rag and picked it up before anything else happened ( I didn't want mouse guts all over the place). 1 dog just sat and watched. As I went down the stairs, it started wiggling in my hand - ewwwwww. It was just playing dead - the little bugger! Out the front door it went. So, IT'S WAR_R_R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today I got mouse bait and put it (safely so the pets couldn't get at it) all around the house and stuffed the dryer vent (it may be where they are coming in). I also got a uzi (just kiddin). If I didn't have these critters here to guard the house at night, I could have a whole fam damily of mice living here. Good kitty - good puppies

Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM

510 posts, read 1,308,971 times
Mice, lizards, and birds are common occurances in my life, with 2 cats. I'm pretty sure it's just the younger kitty, but I don't mind rescuing the mousies (in my hands) and helping them get back outside. I lke mice and lizards! The worst is when they're suffering, but my kitty seems pretty gentle with both the mousies and lizards. As for the birds, I sometimes wake up to feathers, claws, and some internal organs. Yuk!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:14 PM

Welcome back, Anomoly!! Where in the world are now and what are you doing? You can have every mouse in the country - they must stay out of my house - mouse turds, disease and they do damage to lots of stuff - I found where they were getting to the upper levels from the lower level. Where the bathroom plumbing comes in the wall - well, it's chewed to make the hole big enough to enter. Now I get to fix that - not happy. I can't imagine this neighborhood having mice - no trash and such around, weekly trash pickups. I have a park across the street but that's the only area right in this spot. It's war - and I plan on being the winner!!!! This morning, my dog, the hunter girl (part french brittany), sat by a hugh dresser and whined - she wouldn't stop running to me and then back to the dresser. So, just to get some peace, I got the cat to stand guard with the whiney dog and I took all the drawers out (it was too heavy to move) and moved the dam* thing. Nothing there - S_C_O_U_T (the whiney dog's name)! At least the whining stopped. I hate these mieces to pieces (famous words from Tesaje).

It's been cool to mild temp. wise here lately and today the heat and humidity are back with a vengeance.

I actually went to the libray (it's only about a mile away) and got my first library card since college!!! I usually just but them - no more!! I was like a kid in a candy store. My first book I'm reading is: "Into the Wild" (Jon Krakauer) Interesting. Gotta go - enjoy all. Isn't today the day Wisteria moves?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:35 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,231,206 times
MN2CO -

I'm going to say something you are definitely not going to like.

Mice can get through cracks that are 1/4" (yes, one-fourth inch).

If you didn't have pets, I would suggest using mothballs inside the house - but you could still use them in the garage and in the attic and under the house. Maybe you can squeeze some thru the plumbing wall hole (before you fix it) so they drop down to where your cat and dog can't get at them?

You can read about mothballs and mice here

Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 PM

205 posts, read 359,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Karcon - Your trip sounds absolutely perfect! Have a wonderful time - wish I was with you.
Wouldn't a group road trip be fun! It's so good hearing from everyone. MN2CO I love your mice stories!

And Anomoly, it is so good to see you back on the grid. I guess everyone has been busy (or lazy) this summer.

I'm ready for cooler weather. But here in FL that won't be until probably sometime in November and our "cold" weather (well it does get down in the 30's at night at times for a day or two) won't be until the end of the year. But looking at the country, what a strange summer this has been for so many.

Wisteria, how are things going? Have you closed and in your new house yet? Keep us posted!

Happy summer to you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement