U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times

Advertisements

Mice are in every neighborhood everywhere. It doesn't matter what a neighborhood looks like. The dime sized hole is all they need. I would not use moth balls. They emit a rather toxic vapor not to mention stink up everything horribly. Stuff every crack and crevice with steel wool. They can't chew thru that.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
Good luck with the mice. A cat is still the best mousetrap.
I had awful problems with mice when I lived in old townhouses in Washington, D.C. My oldest cat -- a true alley cat -- was good at finding them but couldn't hold onto them. She'd bring it to me, open her mouth to yowl, and the mouse would run free. Then she'd go looking for it where she found it originally, not worrying about the one she just let go!
Once, she found a mouse living under the stove and sat with her nose stuck under the little notch in the front. The mouse bit her nose. That ended her mousing days.
I got her a companion, a purebred Balinese. She was deadly on mice. But she got mad when I took them away from her, so she started hiding the bodies under the rugs. I wouldn't know until I stepped on them.
I'm so glad those days are behind me. The only mouse I've got to worry about now is Simon's Invisible Mouse in the bathroom.
Watch the cats and dogs for tapeworms. Mice carry fleas that carry tapeworms and often transfer it to cats and dogs. Mine got it that way.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:35 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Thanks all for your mouse tips/links. I used the steel wool since I had some on hand and remember reading about it once.

Karcon - a group road trip would be so fun - anyone have a bus? Anyone that can drive a bus? I have a Honda CRV - it really holds only 4 people comfortably - it's a 4 cylinder so 4 people works best.

I need a short nap - got up way too early (4:30 a.m.).

Old 08-08-2009, 03:08 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
While we're on the subject of mice, just saw this story about a mouse that moved into an ATM and built a home out of the money:
The Associated Press: Mouse builds nest egg in ATM with $20 bills
I'd love a road trip right now but I'm not near the rest of you. I've got a 6 cyl. Ford Escape.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
A group road trip could be a lot of fun. What a way to really get to know each other. I suppose we could always charter a bus if there are that many of us. What an idea!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:12 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Good luck with the mice. A cat is still the best mousetrap

I had no idea that mice were in my townhouse until I sat down to eat one day & there was a teeny mouse right on my placemat, compliments of Gracie the Maine Coon.
The handyman who sealed up the hole said that they are so tiny and their bones are so small that they can squeeze into holes the diameter of a pencil.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Nancy - How's the condo selling going? Any bites yet? It is cute as can be, both inside and out, so sending good vibes your way~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a great cat to want to share with you - lunch - on your placemat? Ewww.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 AM

No one has made an offer yet, mn2co . Thanks for the good vibes. I need them.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 AM

205 posts, read 359,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I got her a companion, a purebred Balinese. She was deadly on mice. But she got mad when I took them away from her, so she started hiding the bodies under the rugs. I wouldn't know until I stepped on them.
Now that is gross! Ewww, squish (or crunch depending on how long they'd been there).

My cats use to hunt our little geiko type lizzards. Not to eat, just to play with. I would save them when I could but sometimes I would just find what I called lizzard popsicles! Just stiff little bodies. Poor things.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM

I think I just may have sold my condo. Cross your fingers for me. Thanks .......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.