U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 10:29 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Coney - Still hanging out in Grants Pass? Ashland is near you, I believe - I've decided to put it on my check out list - expensive, though, I hear. If it has the right environment, I might be willing to compromise on the living arrangements. Time will tell.

Hope everyone is well
Regarding Ashland..... it's about 30 miles south of me, and I'm a bit sorry I didn't relocate there. It has more charm, more culture, more restaurants, more "class", etc. and only 11 miles from Medford (the big city). If you ever come to visit ~ let me know and we'll try to meetup!

Yeah, still "hanging out" and looking forward to the fall season, but NOT looking forward to the winter season

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Coney - I would definitely let you know when I come. It's the "classy" part that appeals to me - probably why I chose Edina when I moved here. You can always still move there, if it still appeals to you (once you sell your home). The size & beauty also appeal to me - and - from what I've read, it rains a bit less than some areas. Nice location too. I had wanted to make a trip this fall to check out a new area but it is fall (almost) and I can't get away right now - maybe spring. Once I move, I plan to stay planted so I don't want to get tunnel vision on this (thinking only CO will do). I do know I'd never survive constant rain.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,366 times
Default "If"

Quote:
Coney - I would definitely let you know when I come. It's the "classy" part that appeals to me - probably why I chose Edina when I moved here. You can always still move there, if it still appeals to you (once you sell your home). The size & beauty also appeal to me - and - from what I've read, it rains a bit less than some areas. Nice location too. I had wanted to make a trip this fall to check out a new area but it is fall (almost) and I can't get away right now - maybe spring. Once I move, I plan to stay planted so I don't want to get tunnel vision on this (thinking only CO will do). I do know I'd never survive constant rain.

MN2Co...... IF I ever sell my home (without losing $$) I would relocate to a city with NO snow, black ice, freezing temperatures, 5-months of piddle/rain ! My next move will probably be back to Florida (central FL on either coast) or maybe California Dreamin'

As much as I like having 4 seasons, my old body just does not feel good when it's constantly cold in the winter

Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,239,770 times
Hi folks! There's still room in our little mobile home park three blocks from the ocean!! In fact, I hear rumor that Nancy thereader will be visiting Santa Cruz in the next month!

Quote:
MN2CO: Wisteria - Won any surfin contests yet?
Hope this photo suffices:
The First Woman to Surf Maverick's on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kqedquest/437763750/ - broken link)

However, I often prefer the calmer beaches. One of my favorites is Natural Bridges, which is also the local Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary :
Beaches - SantaCruz -- here is a list of the more popular beaches.

This is one of my favorites -- Natural Bridges and Monarch Sanctuary:
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/naturalb.html

And in case I didn't flood you with enough links, here's one more -- a very typical sight that I KNOW Anomoly saw while here! Yes, this is the California lifestyle!
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/scruz.html

Seriously, folks, these are just photos -- imagine in person! Can you believe this place? "Thank you to the powers that be!!" Come visit -- or better yet, come live here!

I am taking a long time to unpack. Gosh, the past six months have been so overwhelmingly emotional and busy, that I'm just pooped. (Or maybe it's that early morning surfing that's "wiping me out!" haha)

I still haven't gotten a camera. I may have to order one off-line. Since Circuit City closed, we only have Best Buy, which I really don't think is the best buy in town! Oh, well, in time.

I finally got some flowers for my deck and my sun chair outside. I have a couple of nice windchimes that I hear in the evening breeze. Ahhhhh, the good Californian lifestyle!!

Last edited by Wisteria; 08-19-2009 at 12:16 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 PM

510 posts, read 1,308,752 times
Wisteria, so happy you're happy! When you say there's still room at your park, do you mean there are places for sale there? What are they like, and how much are they selling for?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:24 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,239,770 times
I will PM you, Anomoly, with my realtor's name. I don't know if they rent out there, though -- I am just not very familiar yet with the park. However, I am glad I made the move.

Anomoly, I added a link to the above, just for YOU!!! It's a great view of the Beach Boardwalk!! This link!!: Remember this view from the wharf??? *Santa Cruz Surf City Vacation

Anyone else interested in real estate in Santa Cruz, please PM me and I will send you my realtor's name and her link. She is truly terrific!!! One of the only responsible and efficient and kind realtors I have ever met! Very down-to-earth, honest, will tell you like it is (even if you don't want to hear it) and work very, very hard for you! No wonder she's Number 1 in the county!

If nothing else, maybe some of those photos will entice a visit here -- I have a feeling you will have more than one guide to show you around. Since I found this gem, I've had other women ask me about this place. The reason: because we are all aging, and we want to help each other .... AND live in a beautiful, easily accessible place, WITH good weather!

As you can tell, I don't miss the redwoods at all!! I can always visit them! For now, having no yard, having a comfy deck and a view of the pool, and a beach nearby is all I need.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Default Time to plan your fall trips!

Quote:
... I had wanted to make a trip this fall to check out a new area but it is fall (almost) and I can't get away right now - maybe spring. Once I move, I plan to stay planted so I don't want to get tunnel vision on this (thinking only CO will do). I do know I'd never survive constant rain.
Now is the time to travel via SWA.. again... (Thank goodness they now serve MSP) Southwest Airlines rolls out fare sale - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090818/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_brief_southwest_fare_sale - broken link)

I got hosed on my rental car in Colorado last week, so be wise. Priceline did not pan out for $12 . day this trip. (I think it was b-cuz I had a late Friday eve arrival)

Colo was nice, great art show in Loveland and a few days staying in Estes Park area with friends. (they have a beautiful 'private- Swiss Chalet' lodge @ 8500 ft looking down on Estes with the front range in background). I was able to help restore some exterior wood railings, (workamping)

This fall's bucket list for me

LC, NM (For 'elder care')
Knoxville area
Yellowstone / Tetons (Aspen colors)
New Brunswick (I hope... for fall colors)
WV, (later colors)
Northern GA/ southern TN, (later yet colors)
San Antonio (looking to buy mobile home park for income, not living)

then.... wish of all wishes... Round the World travel during later winter early Spring (Southern Hemisphere focus). I need to burn some miles b4 UA goes belly-up.

If only Casa Grande (the 'BIG house') would get on the market (I better get to work!! 101F today, 9 months of rain coming soon). $750k homes sitting empty for $320k nearby, But I just need ONE buyer. I think I have the rural 'airstrip' property sold for an elderly couple seeking assisted living (And I thought that would be impossible).

Like Wisteria, I will not miss my forest when I leave, as fire danger is REAL while in the forest. (As well as potential of trees crashing through your house during high winds after heavy rains)

Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Stealth - You having quite an exciting life - always on the move!! That is what I had worked for - then we all know what happened - I will never get over it.

Happy travels - Estes is on my list as well - for visiting only. I keep looking in the Loveland area for homes - not many and the prices are not that great. Ashland is even worse - hmmmmmm.

What a contradiction - so much rain and then the risk of fire - doesn't make sense (I'm not doubting you).

Geez - there's been a tornado sited near downtown Mpls - I'm 9 miles from there. It's pouring right now - maybe this house will blow away and then I won't have to worry about selling it (I have to say, the thought does excite me - talk about starting fresh - just me and my critters and what I have on (eeekkkk - better change my clothes and pack some undies). Insurance is paid up on cars & house (come and get me you tornado - your mama wears army boots - nananananana)

Sending good vibes on selling your house - it worked for Nancy!!~~~~~ That's right - I take ALL the credit

OOOOOO - talk about trees coming down - they are falling all over the place.......

Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,885,571 times
I'm in the middle of the August Blahs. It's sticky and raining here today. Only 82 but the humidity is unusually high.
Every so often I have a burst of energy and get up and clean something.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Knox - This is when you just say unjcle and read a good book - great excuse!

MINERVAH - if you're reading this - today we had multiple tornadoes - small, but never the less, ugly. Remember when I drove you around downtown and showed you where my friend Winnie lived - we were looking for the low income place she had mentioned? That's 10th and near there, on 12th, they had one that didn't quite touch down, but close, so all the people in the high rises could see junk blowing up and in circles. Then, remember when I took you by my old house - Nikomis Lake area? Well that's 56th and about 35th (we drove through that area) there was a touchdown - a real mess. We never have these in the city I had my escape route all planned in case one came this way - I was almost hoping. It just rained buckets.

Susancruz - I think they are headed your way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement