U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2009, 07:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times

Advertisements

After getting an eye-opener on the cost of moving these days, I plan on following Coney's advice and get rid of most of my stuff. Most of it is useful but is not worth the price of moving it. All good advice on packing here.

Liquor stores often have good sturdy boxes with the lids still on that are perfect for books - free for the asking. You can always move to a storage place if the timing doesn't work out. I did that and it was fine and not terribly expensive. Then the final move can be some local guys. Using a moving company storage is costly and could end up being a real problem - there are so many horror stories out there.

You might look at the uship site - looks like a decent alternative. Be very careful about your movers - there is so much trouble in the industry, including the big names. I always lost something whenever the pros moved me.

Keep us posted. We are all rooting for you.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 AM

7,007 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Default Too Cold to Swim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I know little about moving furniture and all. When I just moved, I still didn't have much, and when I moved from city to city or state to state, I usually went with just a carload….

I had shown Nancy this link for Santa Cruz vacation housing:
DOG AND PET FRIENDLY SANTA CRUZ CA LODGING / ACCOMMODATIONS AND VACATION RENTAL HOMES http://www.ahouseinsantacruz.com

I am so glad she will be able to live her California dream. That link will show you what people charge each WEEK to stay here (approximately $2-3,000/WEEK!!). This is a huge vacation town – and expensive! (There are cheaper places, but many, many people rent these.) And, yet, it IS possible to live here affordably! One just needs to know how. I am the Santa Cruz Cheapo Guide! haha Seriously, though, I know that most people immediately cross this town off their list because of costs – but…if one is resourceful, places can be found that are affordable (relatively speaking for here!).

I have lived in some very nice places that were expensive and always got by. One thing is I am not a consumer, so that helps. Secondly, I usually lived in nice places that had a variety of things to do and had nice weather – so I wasn't stuck inside all the time, or if I was (like Seattle), there were places built to accommodate the weather. (Although I don't think I'd ever live back in Seattle because the gloomy, rainy days were just too many for me.)

I am still not unpacked (I am looking for more shelf space), and I haven't had much time due to still working full-time. However, I do seem to be more relaxed. Probably because I don't have to come home and water a 1/3 of an acre every other night! Or prune numerous trees and bushes. Or rake redwood needles. The list goes on and on. Now, with just my little deck, and a small seating area out back, I am relieved of those duties. I haven't had time to paint the inside yet – I had hoped I'd get to it, but it's looking like it will take me a good 6-months to a year to complete….oh well.

However, I DID discover TWO beaches within walking distance of the park!! Yes – TWO! They are smaller, more private beaches and relatively unknown to tourists. I spent Saturday with a friend seeking them out. Here is a photo of one of the beaches, Sunny Cove, no more than 3 blocks from the park! Literally three short blocks. http://beachcottagesantacruz.com/res...ve+Beach+2.jpg
While I'm at work during the day, Nancy can take her books, snacks, sunblock, umbrella and towel and have her own private nook on Sunny Cove beach! Now, you have to admit....it's pretty nice!

Pretty cool!! Just remember that there are two single women (not) retiring alone in Santa Cruz!! And more to come! Join us!!
Pretty! I noticed from the photo that people were in the water only up to their ankles. Is the water too cold for swimming?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:43 AM

Moving Boxes

One thing I did when I moved long distance was to buy the mailing labels you can use in your printer and printed my new address on every one. I put one of those labels on each box top to make sure everyone knew it belonged to me. There is a template in the package and you can just copy and paste down the page. I don't think I lost a single box.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:00 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Default Moving Co Info sites

Nancy

Just a couple moving company info sites

Protect Your Move -Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Last edited by Umbria; 08-25-2009 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 07:03 AM

895 posts, read 1,331,660 times
Default packing and bubble wrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thanks, tesaje. Any advice about moving is really welcome. I've never moved more than a few miles.

Someone suggested that I use those bubble pack things for plates and all. That seemed like a great suggestion to me. Has anyone else used those?
Nancy - having moved extensively and having packed myself on many of the recent ones, the suggestion to pack tightly is well-taken - make sure there can be NO movement in any box - tuck in extra paper in every crevice -

watch the weight of the items you pack together - i have put platters at the bottom of a box, well packed and had everything make it but the platter was cracked in two - just too much weight in the items i put in top even though everything was well wrapped -

i actually have seen more breakage in the things i simply bubbled wrapped - not sure why - now i wrap everything in newsprint (i often use the end rolls from the local paper so they are not printed on) - if i use regular newspaper and i'm concerned about any print bleeding onto my stuff, i put them those in a recycled plastic bag, then wrap in newsprint and then insulate with the bubble wrap if i'm very concerned - the bubblewrap in itself does not seem to protect as well as i would expect -

Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Pretty! I noticed from the photo that people were in the water only up to their ankles. Is the water too cold for swimming?
There is a mile deep trench right off the coast and the winds move the ocean waters against that deep coastline causing upwelling of the deep and cold water to the surface. That's why the coastal CA waters are cold north of Santa Barbara. All that bikini beach stuff of the movies is in LA and south where the coastal water is warm and shallow. There are die hard surfers along the northerly coastline, but they wear wet suits to be able to stand the cold water. That's why people only wade a little and your feet get cold doing that - scurry back to the sand to warm them up before chilling them again.

The truth is that there are many Californias but people who don't know the state only see the stuff out of LA.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM

Packing Plates

My professional packers last time wrapped each plate, platter, etc. and stood them on edge lined up in the box. They also did the same for glasses, even fine crystal. All framed pictures the same way.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:36 AM

If you noticed, I removed that first link - it WAS the movingadvocate.*** link that actually worked at one point and is now pointed to a reverse mortgage article - don't know what happened. Tesaje is right - be careful choosing the transport company - lots of bad people out there and I swear it's getting worse - this economy had brought out the worse in many. There's alot of good info in the General Moving thread.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Martha's Moving Checklists

48 Printable Checklists?

Ok, I'm done now . Time to wash the kitchen & hallway - I need a maid, a gardener, a mechanic, yard service.etc...

Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 PM

7,981 posts, read 11,663,426 times
Wow this thread has alot of pages! I'm sorry I haven't had a change to read them all but will try over time. I thought I'd post a request for suggestions (before I hit all sorts of individual state pages would could take a year)
I have what I hope is 5-7 years to retirement. I am the youngest (53) of a practically non-existant family so don't have too many ties. I am from Michigan but have lived in other states, currently Oh. Originally I thought I'd retire in Michigan but I'm wondering if I ought to widen my focus. My dream area would be:
Somewhere northern.
Somewhere where there's wildlife, outdoors, woods, water
smaller town
near a bigger town.
I'd like the town to be a college town,
not too too conservative (not necessarily to liberal either).
Michigan, as great as it is, does not have any college towns north of Mt Pleasant till you get to Marquette/UP which is maybe just a tad farther north than I was thinking.
Feel free to thrown ideas out there.
his is sort of a fun site though mostly a place to start
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement