U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,862,107 times

Advertisements

What a sweet little community--love the happy colors and the setting. Used to live in No. CA so I know Santa Cruz a bit--always liked that town and others close by such as Capitola...

Sending healing vibes to your knee, I think ConeyIsBabe had good tips..similar worked for me when I tore something in my knee skiing. All better now unless I get on the elliptical trainer--that really hurts..the treadmill's fine, though..

Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 PM

6,994 posts, read 6,987,396 times
Nice photos, Wisteria! Hope your knee improves soon.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:04 PM

52 posts, read 143,996 times
Default Wisteria

Hi Wisteria,

Thanks for the great photos. I actually wrote a longer post earlier and then it somehow got deleted when I answered the phone...I have really enjoyed reading about your new home and I am so happy for you. Sorry about your knee, though.

Reading about what you have been through actually provides some light at the end of the tunnel for some of us, and I thank you for that.

One question I have is about pets. Are neighbors bothered by other's pets? I have a parrot who is usually very quiet, but every now and then he sees something and lets loose with a bunch of screeching, so that is something always on my mind when I think about moving. I imagine most people have their windows open? Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Glorida

Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 PM

9 posts, read 19,023 times
Wisteria
Sending you healing energy so you're up and hiking real soon.
Tore my miniscus some years back also - no surgery....Yay! Did what ConeyIsBabe said to do with your knee. She is on target.
Wonderful pictures. Your place looks delightful. Enjoy!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:04 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,963 times
Nice pics, thanks. Hope that knee heals soon. Add ice to the other stuff. I haven't had that problem but I've had good results form Coney's ideas on other joint problems (I can't take the drugs they want you to use). Moving is a lot of hard work.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times
Talking Knees/Inflammation/Arthritis ~ My Story ~

THIS is off-topic but perhaps someone can learn from my experience. After I hurt my knees, I learned that women approaching mid-50s and early 60s are very vulnerable to knee injuries. I wish I had known this information before the event ~ maybe it would have prevented the aftermath.

Several people have sent me Direct Messages inquiring about how I managed my knee injury and, since my story is lengthly, I decided to tell it in my Blog

Old 08-29-2009, 07:35 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,805,987 times
ConeyIsBabe, thanks for the info in your blog. I'm getting a copy of the book you recommended after I finish here.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 AM

70 posts, read 252,544 times
Default Hello All

Thanks again Coney for the great info.
Wisteria - nice looking place - I add my wishes for healing and a great life in your new home.
I'm going to Oregon next week for fun and to look down around the southern coast. I'm really looking forward to seeing Brookings as I have not been that far down the Oregon Coast. I find it so curious that the tug on me to go somewhere else is so strong. Maybe I am just dreading the upcoming winter dreariness. It is getting a bit much for me to have to travel long distances to go anywhere where something is happening. (maybe as we get older we realize we don't want to waste a lot of time?) Dunno, but I'm ready to get off the porch swing and live out loud for a bit. Still hoping to look at Bend, Colorado Springs and the Prescott areas. Sequim, WA still holds some hope for me but I just want to look around a bit. Any suggestions for"must see" on the coast is welcome. I've been as far south to Florence. The rest will be all new. Can you tell I'm excited?
I've uploaded a pix and a blog link but dang if I know I did it right. If not, will some kind soul help

Old 08-30-2009, 10:21 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,940 times
Cool paintdog.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
I'm going to Oregon next week for fun and to look down around the southern coast. I'm really looking forward to seeing Brookings as I have not been that far down the Oregon Coast. I find it so curious that the tug on me to go somewhere else is so strong. Maybe I am just dreading the upcoming winter dreariness. It is getting a bit much for me to have to travel long distances to go anywhere where something is happening. (maybe as we get older we realize we don't want to waste a lot of time?) Dunno, but I'm ready to get off the porch swing and live out loud for a bit. Still hoping to look at Bend, Colorado Springs and the Prescott areas. Sequim, WA still holds some hope for me but I just want to look around a bit. Any suggestions for"must see" on the coast is welcome. I've been as far south to Florence. The rest will be all new.
I SO feel the same way you do about the upcoming bleak winter and that's why I have set my sights to the SOUTH ~ either CA or FL.

On your trip to the Oregon coast..... don't miss visiting Harris Beach ~ it's one of the nicest beaches on the Oregon Coast! And, if you haven't seen the Aquarium yet, that's worth a visit (I think it's in Newport?) If you haven't already visited the Seals Cave near Florence, it is worth a stop (a tourist thing, but still interesting)! Depoe Bay is great for whale watching ~ there's a whale watching center there, with a viewing area & binoculars!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 PM

70 posts, read 252,544 times
Default Thanks Coney

Will definitely go to Harris Beach. California living would be nice too but I don't think I could deal with the tax issues. I loved Santa Cruz, Monterey and (visiting) San Francisco. Feel much more at home in the west. Thanks again for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement