U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 05:42 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,755,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
THANKS SO MUCH for the photos..... looking forward to more of the park and neighborhood

Regarding a torn meniscus..... same thing happened to me just 4 months before my 60th birthday; in fact it was the main reason why I retired when I turned 60!

But, from research on the internet, I learned a lot about knees/arthritis/inflammation/nutrition in the following years ~ and I have managed to survive the torn meniscus WITHOUT SURGERY and without drugs and without pain ~ by following a non-inflammatory diet and minimal exercise to keep the supporting muscles strong and taking a high quality glucosamine/chondroiten supplement

Could you please give details on the non-inflammatory diet? My husband has a bad knee from an old injury. Thank you.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:11 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
And a step stool makes getting into high cabinets ok.

No. no. Wisteria cannot climb on a step stool . . . . .
Oh, I suppose not. She probably can't move the cabinets either. Oh well.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,307 times
Default Alaskapat.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Could you please give details on the non-inflammatory diet? My husband has a bad knee from an old injury. Thank you.
Since several people have asked me for the information and I didn't want to take up space as an off-topic item ~ I have created two blogs on the topic. Just click on my blog to read the posts Under my name, the third icon to the right (B) is the Blog access !

Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,755,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Since several people have asked me for the information and I didn't want to take up space as an off-topic item ~ I have created two blogs on the topic. Just click on my blog to read the posts Under my name, the third icon to the right (B) is the Blog access !
Just did it and thank you!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi Livecontent! I'm always happy to read your posts.

As you know, I lived in Boulder, and Denver, so I am very familiar with the area. I actually was thinking of returning to Boulder, but did not get enough to relocate back there, either. However, California is not a bad choice, and I'm glad I could figure something out here, and still have my job to up my retirement pension. As you recall, working for the State of Colorado, one did not pay into Social Security, so I'm glad I'm in a place where I get both the pension and we also pay into Social Security.

Actually, Colorado is one of my very favorite places. Since you and I are from -- literally -- the same neighborhood around Cheektowaga, New York, I know you know that I understand what you are saying.

I could be very happy there, too. I just couldn't make it during this recession, and I truly needed to get out of that property in the redwoods.

I suggest that we take turns and visit each other in each other's state! Colorado and California -- well, they have in common that they both start with "C," and that they are both very beautiful! As former "Buffalonians," we know what really awful weather is, and we know when we see something beautiful!

I NEVER thought of a mobile home, either -- as you are aware, the negative stereotypes back east are quite awful. Out here, though, they are just as acceptable as a regular home, and, ironically, the cost IS higher, because they do appreciate in value here. It IS California.

For me, I don't care if the water is cold. I'm happy to just walk along the shore and find those sand dollar shells! Also, my daughter, when she was about 7, got caught in a rip-tide, which I didn't even know then what it was, but she was lucky that someone in our group ran in and grabbed her -- needless to say, she is not a fan of swimming in the ocean! But sitting by the shore, and listening to the waves, seeing the endless ocean really is relaxing -- and considering my life, I need some relaxation.

You are welcome (anyone is) to come and visit me here. I'll come visit you in Denver! I like what they've done with the light rail now. When I lived there the pollution was absolutely awful! I was only there for six months, and most of the time I was in Colorado I lived in Boulder. Colorado has a definite soft spot in my heart. If I wasn't here, and I could afford it, I would be there.

As you are aware, since you were in the Monterey area, one does have to pay for the "ambience" here. But since when we die, we can't take any of our "stuff" with us, that ambience is worth a LOT!

Honestly, I think that Colorado and California are both the most beautiful states in the U.S. I just happen to be here, I have a job with a pension (which I desperately need), and I'm used to the area. Besides, it's NOT a bad place to be! Yet, I still have loads of room in my heart for Colorado. The years I spent in Boulder, to me, were the happiest years of my life -- honestly. I will never regret them. I also met some of my best friends there. I will always cherish my time hiking in the Flatirons. Ahhhh, such nice memories. I lived one block from the Boulder Mall, and it was so wonderful. People I knew used to say, "You got the best deal in Boulder!" In ways, I do regret leaving there, but it is what it is, and I did leave. In retrospect, I probably should have stayed.

However, Santa Cruz is a nice place, too, and my friend in Brooklyn, whom I met in Boulder when we both lived there, calls Santa Cruz, "Boulder by the Sea!" And it is very similar. Each has its own beauty and personality.

Come on out and visit. Like Colorado, it is handicapped accessible. I'm a good host and a great tour guide! (Keep that in mind, folks!) I am sure we would relate quickly, considering we both grew up in the same town! How weird -- what a small world!

So, my suggestion is that we both get to experience a place we love with our friendship -- you get to visit the Monterey Bay area, and I get to visit the Denver/Boulder area!! This is our last hurrah, so to say, and I think we -- any of us -- should take advantage of our friendships and enjoy what we can offer to each other.

I honestly cannot say that either one is better: Colorado or California. They are both absolutely stunning states! I suggest that any of us who would like to experience outstanding places, to PM each other and set up visits. Yes, I realize that life is busy, and there are hurdles, but again, this is our last hurrah -- why not meet up, visit, explore and enjoy??

So, Livecontent, we have both lived in each other's states, we both appreciate and adore various parts of each -- AND we also GREW UP in the VERY SAME TOWN!! We need to visit!

It's a small world, isn't it?

Wisteria

Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 PM

121 posts, read 253,810 times
Unhappy Dreams Continue

Although we reclassify our dreams as the economy changes, we still have our dreams. I have gone from a 2000 square foot home on five acres to a 1000 square foot home on .50 acres! This is my reality! It doesn't mean I can't enjoy the dream, it just means I need to be in touch with the current situation.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hey, has anyone heard from Dancingearth and/or Anomoly??? I'm wondering if 1) they are okay, and 2) if they met up. Anyone know???

Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Hey, my dream is to not go to work and still be able to live a decent life and adopt old dogs. Already have my dream house- 1250sq.ft. custom designed contemporary on half an acre, 1/4 acre of woods, 10-minute walk to a lake, one mile drive to major highways, 20 miles to work.
My dream doesn't include East Coast humidity in Boston area, but oh well.
I think a dream should be more about the way something feels, how you want to feel in your days, not the envelope. I do think many of us assume certain feelings in our pictures of the envelope! I've learned that from moving around in my 20s- "If I lived ___, my life would be ___ and I'd feel ____. Outside of some physical considerations (apartment vs. house, trees vs. no trees) it's not always so.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 AM

1,338 posts, read 3,496,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Hey, my dream is to not go to work and still be able to live a decent life and adopt old dogs. Already have my dream house- 1250sq.ft. custom designed contemporary on half an acre, 1/4 acre of woods, 10-minute walk to a lake, one mile drive to major highways, 20 miles to work.
My dream doesn't include East Coast humidity in Boston area, but oh well.
I think a dream should be more about the way something feels, how you want to feel in your days, not the envelope. I do think many of us assume certain feelings in our pictures of the envelope! I've learned that from moving around in my 20s- "If I lived ___, my life would be ___ and I'd feel ____. Outside of some physical considerations (apartment vs. house, trees vs. no trees) it's not always so.

I love your dream...though I'd also adopt old cats (consider my forum name!) I have always said that if I won the lottery I'd get a farm for pet rescues. And I would be such a good non-worker...I'd volunteer for lots of things where I felt really helpful.

Your house and land sound terrific. I sometimes wonder if I'll ever have a "house"...I sold my apartment in metro NYC to move to Houston last year and now rent a small 1BR apartment. Other than growing up in single-family homes in Ohio I've never had my own house. Better late than never??

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "I do think many of us assume certain feelings in our pictures of the envelope!"? Are you talking about money (i.e. cash in an envelope)vs. things? Please explain?

Old 09-06-2009, 05:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
No, I meant "envelope" as the external pictures of our lives. Like picturing yourself, say, on a beach, or boating, or fishing in the mountains. Pictures that go along with how you'd like to feel. "If I lived in the mountains, I'd exercise and not get depressed" etc.
Once a guy I knew wanted to move to California. I asked him why, and he honestly said, "In California, I'd be taller and healthier and happier and I'd get laid more."
I think he's still living in Cambridge!
I am able to adopt multiple old dogs now. If I didn't work 40 hours a week at a job that is really pretty tough on me, I couldn't have this house and these dogs (or charitable contributions). Right now, I have four dogs, have had as many as six but lost two this spring. (When you adopt seniors...)
I could work part-time if I lived in the 55+ mobile home park and could only have one small dog. I couldn't adopt these seniors and wouldn't love my surroundings so much, and I would still have to work at the job, although maybe fewer hours. It might be dumb to cut my hours at age 56 with an old-fashioned pension ticking away. One foot in front of the other for several more years.
I always worry about isolation and loneliness. I think I imagine if I lived in a walkable small town, and lived sort of in town, I'd be OK. Then I realize that the sense of isolation is probably more in my head than anywhere else. I certainly will try (I hope) living where I am without working before I consider moving anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement