U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2009, 05:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I heat some olive oil and saute sliced onions in it, with salt, and sometimes garlic, sometimes cumin seed. Meanwhile, I shred the kale, then add it to the onions when they are soft. I then put a lid on and let it cook at low heat till soft. If necessary, add a little water, but not much.

It's also good in the oven - toss well dried shredded kale in olive oil and seasonings, then spread out in one layer on a cookie sheet. Cook at fairly high temperature till done. This is good when done right, but I too often burn it. Watch it carefully. The original recipe may have called for 425, but I just put it in with whatever else I'm baking.
I like all the above plus a little balsamic vinegar on it. yumm

Old 09-12-2009, 05:38 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I like all the above plus a little balsamic vinegar on it. yumm
Oooooohhhhh, I love balsamic vinegar! Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. Now I just have to buy some Kale.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
So.... wuzzup ??

Wisteria & Nancy.... how was the visit

A couple of ladies mentioned their travel plans..... how did it go Can you share your adventure with those of us who have stayed home !

Those ladies who are AWOL..... (you know who you are) what's going on ?

As for me ~ I'm hanging in there, hoping to enjoy the fall and preparing for the upcoming winter in the frozen tundra

So, wuzzup y'all ?
Yes! Inquiring (mostly lurking) minds want to know!

As for me, I'm going to Arizona next month to investigate towns for retirement! My sister has a mini RV (her "Bee", as she calls it), she offered to drive and I said why not.

Two weeks on the road with my older sister.
Oh my.
I hope we both come out of this alive

Old 09-12-2009, 10:56 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Just a quick check in. Nancy is here with her 19-year-old daughter, and although I couldn't take time off of work, I have managed to extensively show her the area!

Today we went to breakfast at the "Heavenly Cafe" in the mountains. Then we went to Roaring Camp -- in the mountains: Roaring Camp Railroads | Felton, California | Santa Cruz County
THEN we went to Henry Cowell Redwood Forest where there are old-growth redwoods: The Redwood Grove Loop Trail

We also went to the ...... no kidding... Big Foot Museum in Felton!!
The Bigfoot Discovery Project That was actually pretty interesting -- the curator had lots of good information and happy to talk about it. There's a "Big Foot Conference" coming up in October!

Then we drove down Highway 9 through the middle of thick redwoods in the mountains with ravines on the side of the road, and suddenly...we were back into TOWN! It is that fast! So, we took a trip to watch the surfers!!
Cowells Beach Surf and Travel Guide

And a little photo of what we watched there - it was mesmerizing: http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=8355135 The sky was blue, the ocean hypnotic, and the waves curled while tossing the surfers back into the ocean. It was a gorgeous day, you could see the wharf from where we stood, we were just yards from the Surf Museum:
http://surferspath.com/images/uploads/news/droo-2.jpg (broken link)

I sense that Nancy was quite surprised....and delighted....to see how close everything is, what there is to do, the juxtaposition of oceans and mountains within minutes of each other - it truly is an amazing place. I think it will take time to absorb.

What is interesting is that Nancy said that I did not exaggerate (I am not prone to exaggeration, more to minimizing). I think she really likes the area, and when she has access to a computer, I am sure she will tell you her side of the visit!

It was great to have a City-Data friend here in person! And I think we have, so far, seen quite a bit in a very little piece of time. Tomorrow....the Monterey Aquarium (I have a friend there who just happened to win four tickets to the aquarium....only good for this weekend!!). I think she has a pretty good overview of the Santa Cruz area, and now she will see what is nearby in Monterey (which is much smaller in population and things to do, but DOES have a terrific aquarium!!).

When I post links and photos and talk about the "deals" (in 55+ parks) and being so close to the beach and all, I am NOT exaggerating. Although it doesn't seem to be on the California radar as much, Santa Cruz has much more going for it than most California coastal towns. Interesting to me that it is kind of a secret gem (obviously, those who live here know the reality, but outsiders don't seem to have the info).

So, it has been a busy few days, I am sure Nancy and her daughter are completely tired, too, but we still have tomorrow to get through! I love to show people the many various facets of this fascinating place. Tomorrow, the Aquarium, and my favorite exhibit, the jelly fish!: Monterey Bay Aquarium: Aquarium Exhibits - Jellies: Living Art - Shape and Size (http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/efc/efc_se/se_jellies_size.asp - broken link)

That's it folks - just checking in because I know you were curious.

I'm going to relax a little, get some shut-eye, and then off to Monterey!!

Talk to you all later!!

Last edited by Wisteria; 09-12-2009 at 11:04 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 AM

52 posts, read 144,061 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the update Wisteria. I know I've been wondering how the visit has been going, and I was actually living vicariously while reading your post. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Glorida

Old 09-14-2009, 09:46 AM

70 posts, read 252,664 times
Default Back from Dreamland

Hey y'all

Catching up with all the great, insightful posts here this morning after returning from my Oregon trip. Here's the short of it. I felt a little more grounded on this trip than last time. That "where ever you go, there you are" theme kept playing in my head the whole time, comparing what was there to what I had here in my neck of the woods. All the places were wonderful in their own way. Their beauty was meant to be enjoyed for a short time as so many experiences and then released. My life's theme is to travel and enjoy the adventure - not latch on to a perceived permanence of Eden. I've followed so many of those "wild hair" episodes only to find I really wasn't happier. There is this mature woman somewhere in the back of my mind somewhere quietly telling me to hold on for a bit because I will need to be a little more practical and thoughtful as I enter the last phase of my life. I don't care for her much but I respect her voice. It has been humbling to realize my energy is waning and the young, energetic, "can do" woman is a wistful memory. The place I need to relocate to first rests in my mind - when I get there, the rest will fall into place. So I need to be a little more patient and let things unfold a little more as I make this crossroad. Enough philosophy crap -- Florence and Bandon rocked -- could have stayed there forever! But then again .. I felt that way about Santa Fe 8 years ago.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
There is this mature woman somewhere in the back of my mind somewhere quietly telling me to hold on for a bit because I will need to be a little more practical and thoughtful as I enter the last phase of my life. I don't care for her much but I respect her voice.
Oh, I really hate that person in my head sometimes!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdog52 View Post
Hey y'all

Catching up with all the great, insightful posts here this morning after returning from my Oregon trip. Here's the short of it. I felt a little more grounded on this trip than last time. That "where ever you go, there you are" theme kept playing in my head the whole time, comparing what was there to what I had here in my neck of the woods. All the places were wonderful in their own way. Their beauty was meant to be enjoyed for a short time as so many experiences and then released. My life's theme is to travel and enjoy the adventure - not latch on to a perceived permanence of Eden. I've followed so many of those "wild hair" episodes only to find I really wasn't happier. There is this mature woman somewhere in the back of my mind somewhere quietly telling me to hold on for a bit because I will need to be a little more practical and thoughtful as I enter the last phase of my life. I don't care for her much but I respect her voice. It has been humbling to realize my energy is waning and the young, energetic, "can do" woman is a wistful memory. The place I need to relocate to first rests in my mind - when I get there, the rest will fall into place. So I need to be a little more patient and let things unfold a little more as I make this could have stayed there forever! But then again .. I felt that way about Santa Fe 8 years ago.
Well said - I also have that same PIA voice (always have, thank God) that tells me to just cool it. Of course, there's always the little devil sitting on my shoulder telling me to just go for it. The few times I've listened to the devil have not turned out well. Lots of wonderful places to visit - but you live where daily life is the easiest and also enjoyable.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 AM

895 posts, read 1,332,280 times
Default the voice of the mature woman...........

What a great post! and those that followed voicing affirmation. It's a comfort in many ways to know that that drive to find "something" and that tempering wisdom that says "bloom where you're planted" is in each of us. I've figured out that everywhere I go, I am there, and maybe that is the common denominator that makes me want to go somewhere else.

Paintdog, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think that for each of us wanderers/philosophers, hearing our own quests spoken is an encouragement to further weigh and consider and to have fun in the reflection, the process and the subsequent growth. Off to reflect and further divest myself of "stuff".

[quote=paintdog52;10750372]Hey y'all

I've followed so many of those "wild hair" episodes only to find I really wasn't happier. There is this mature woman somewhere in the back of my mind somewhere quietly telling me to hold on for a bit because I will need to be a little more practical and thoughtful as I enter the last phase of my life. I don't care for her much but I respect her voice. It has been humbling to realize my energy is waning and the young, energetic, "can do" woman is a wistful memory. The place I need to relocate to first rests in my mind - when I get there, the rest will fall into place. So I need to be a little more patient and let things unfold a little more as I make this crossroad.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 AM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Hi Everyone~~

We just got back to New York after a wonderful trip to Santa Cruz. Wisteria is
a fabulous tour guide and Santa Cruz should pay her because she is one of its most vocal enthusiasts . What a great & unique place this is ; you can be down at the beach watching surfers & less than ten minutes later, you are in primeval redwood forests .

Not only is wisteria a wonderful tour guide , but she is a fabulous person and it was a pleasure to meet her. Her new little home is just as adorable as she told you and she has so many creative ideas for it; I am sure that she will show you all the photos of it when it is ready.

I have also bought a little place right near by and I'll be moving in about a month . Wisteria and I are hoping that a third person will be joining us later this year . So we will have our own little colony there.

Even though I have so much to add, I am going to cut this short because we left Santa Cruz at 10:30 last night & I did not get any sleep on the plane so I am going to do that now. Hope you all are enjoying this last week of summer.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-15-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement