U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 AM

70 posts, read 252,598 times

Advertisements

just as I was settlin down from my trip -- in tailspin mode again

Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
Just saying "Hello". I hope everyone is ok. It has been very quiet around here!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:39 AM

26,354 posts, read 24,519,986 times
Nancy, I'm wishing you the very best....
Hugs
Creme

Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
It has been quiet lately.

Wisteria is busy working and fixing up her new place and recuperating.

Nancy is probably snowed under with packing and arranging her move (how exciting!)

Anomaly is only heard from sporadically lately - maybe she is camped out of ISP range. Hope she is ok.

We haven't heard from Dancing Earth for a long time now. Hope all is good with her too.

Karcon has found her roost and is happy with it.

I guess the rest of us are in a biding our time mode. As for me, I just finished up with the parties and preprations to send my boss of many years (who is also something of a friend) off into his retirement/new life. I am now eligible to retire at any time if I want which makes me feel a little like I should be going now instead of the end of the year as I plan. It is worth a little more cash for me to wait the 3 months but now that he is gone, I'm getting that "can't wait" feeling again. This weekend, I'm packing up the car to ferry the little dog I adopted for my mother to her next week. I can cobble about a week with some comp time and the long weekend for the holiday to give me just enough time to get the dog to her. Plotting my trek and finding the stops for the dog and me. I'm thinking of just doing a little sleeping in the car to make it quicker and cheaper. I guess I'll try it and if it is too hard, I can always find a motel as the fall back plan. Road trip time. Fortunately, I don't mind driving alone - I rather enjoy it. So that's where I am now.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Thanks for stopping in Tesaje. Glad to hear you are almost at the finish line! How very exciting!

You are correct that I have been busy with trying to still unpack. I am having a heck of a time finding cabinets to put things into. I've tried regular stores, department stores, thrifts, yard sales, etc. Pickings are slim. Since my windows are low in the room where I particularly need these, I need lower cabinets – with doors (so I can hide my junk from view). Thus, with no place to put things, I still have them all in boxes.

I have at least gotten my kitchen together in terms of being able to use it, and have a place for my dishes and cups and all – I found some nice stand-up cabinets with glass doors that I can just easily reach into. I still need to paint it, though.

I did paint the wood paneling in the living room, although I ran out of paint and could not do the opposite walls, which are still green – but because I used turquoise over the paneling, it still juxtaposes pretty well – and the couch I have has a multi-colored pattern on it, so it picks up all those various colors. At least it's a start.

My bedrooms need a lot of work…and my den is the main place filled with the boxes. I wish they made basements and attics out here! That is one thing I have noticed that is very different between the west and the east – the eastcoast has lots of basements and attics in homes, while out here, they seldom exist. I'm not sure why that is – maybe because of shoddier construction here, or it's just figured that people will be hanging outside more (not sure what that has to do with it, but it's the only thing I can think of).

I am still dealing with my knee problem, and that is a bummer. I find myself sleeping on my couch more – it's a bit firmer than my bed and it doesn't allow me to move around as much, which can contribute to my bending my leg more often, equaling more pain. So, I am still figuring out the logistics of this problem.

But the park is nice, clean and quiet. People are friendly and when I am sitting on the deck on weekends, they come by and chat. My daughter…the one I agonized over all last year…came to visit last weekend and we had a terrific time! I was amazed at the difference one year makes! She and I both talked about how I had my "crazy breakdown" last year once she left, and she was in counseling at college and wondering why she wasn't having "fun" as a college Freshman. And this year, we seem to be back on track again.

She and I went to the beach twice – two different beaches, one being our "private" Sunny Cove beach nearby, and another being a very large tourist beach near the boat harbor. We both agreed that we needed more beach time now that I am in Santa Cruz. We hung out at the boat harbor and were fascinated by about eight pelicans who were only several feet from us. They were fearless, and we giggled at their strange webbed feet and how they managed to "walk" along with their huge wings fluttering against the ground -- just fascinating creatures.

Then we sat on my deck eating chocolate and drinking mineral water. At night we both hung out and played on our respective laptops. We had nice meals together, no tension at all, and she brought me a small bird feeder that she had hand-painted.

So, although I would love to have my place in order by now, it is not, yet having my daughter back and me being normalized after this past year of stress, has been a great relief.

One of my sisters is visiting me next week for five days, so I will be busy again. My art class at night is in full force and I have a large class of about 25 students – it's a fun way to make extra money.

And Nancy is getting ready to join me in the park. We hope to have one or two other women also join us there – we will be having our own "Golden Girls" group!

Ironically, I just received a baby shower invitation from someone I worked with years ago at one of the groups homes I was a therapist at, and I couldn't believe the announcement: the location of the shower will be held in…..the clubhouse in my park! It will be held right across from my house! Only she doesn't even know I moved yet because the invitation was sent to my post office box! It ends up that someone with whom I work now also knows her and was also invited to the shower, and the mother (soon to be grandmother) moved up to … this park (!)…last year or so from Los Angeles! Small world!

I am busy settling in, and time is flying. A few more people have retired from where I work, and when they come back to visit…they look sooooo great! Very relaxed, happy, enjoying life! I am going to reassess my financial end and see if I can retire earlier than later. I realize I will always be on a shoestring budget, but since I'm used to it, it won't be as much of a shock to me, had I had more money before.

So, that is what is going on here. I figured people were kind of laying low, dealing with life, just taking a break! Of course, I do lurk, however, I have not had large chunks of time to jump in as much as I would like. All in good time.

"Hello" to all you wonderful women there! Hope Anomoly and Dancingearth check in. MN2CO, hope you are doing well with the doggies.

Talk to you all later!
Wisteria

Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,887,502 times
Wisteria, glad to hear from you and that things are coming along.
For the cupboards, look for some old kitchen base cabinets that can be painted/stained to what you want. See unclaimed freight places or Habitat for Humanity thrift shop.
Or maybe a big credenza from a used office furniture place.
Are you near a state college or university? They may have surplus equipment sales for things like that. University of Tennessee does. I had my eye on a credenza for a similar purpose but it was longer than I could use.
Check the classifieds in the paper under Auctions and also Auction Zip.
AuctionZip California Auction & California Auctioneer Page
Sorry about your knees. Have you seen a doctor? Don't let them go to long, they'll only get worse. Try putting a featherbed on your bed. I did and it worked wonders! Relieved the pressure points on my knees and hips and I'm sleeping soundly for the first time in ages. I top the (synthetic) featherbed with several comforters folded in half and sleep on that. I feel like the Princess and the Pea but it works.
Enjoy your new life!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:20 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Cool WOMAN retiring alone to a new city & state......

Well this is an interesting story: my Miami g/f came to visit me in s/Oregon for a week (this is her third visit to the Grants Pass area). After 4 days she hit me with this bombshell...... she's moving to my town, leaving her husband back in Miami, renting her own place. OMG!

Within the span on ONE WEEK she found a small cabin in the country, rented it, bought furniture, opened her utility accounts, local bank account, etc.!

She stayed an extra week to accomplish these tasks and is now returning back to Miami to "pack up" and come back to Oregon in a month or so

Where we'all have been pondering this possibility for so long.......... my g/f just went and DID IT !!!!!!!

Now I'm not saying I agree with all her choices, but somehow I admire her gumption for taking action so fast

Old 10-03-2009, 09:38 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
That's similar to how I moved to Denver. I was pis*ed at my boss one day - called my former boss in Denver - she offered me a job & a relocation package if I would move to Denver. It took less than 30 seconds to say yes. 30 minutes later my boss did his usual "Crawford, in my office..." and explained that he'd just received a call from my new director (she had already convined her boss of it) and he wanted me to stay and that "We can work this out..." I said "No, we can't". He had continually picked on some of my best employees and when I refused to agree with him he'd "Write me up" Boy, was I shaking in my boots (not). 2 months later I was living in Denver. My ex bought the house and I was gone. Maybe it's easier if you just do it and forget all the what ifs and planning. Congrats to your friend - does this mean that you'll be staying?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Talking TIMING is everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Congrats to your friend - does this mean that you'll be staying?
I'm stuck where I am anyway ~ for the time being ~ but when my "time" comes I'll also take action Cuz we're women ~ and we're strong ~ and we're WISE

Old 10-04-2009, 03:41 PM

510 posts, read 1,309,221 times
Hello Ladies,
Yes, I've been in places without internet service, but now I'm home again, back in Yuma. I'm getting very excited about my move to my new RV park, even though I dread the chaos of moving. But the new park will suit me much better (it's not a 55+ park, and neither am I), and it just seems much more friendly than my current park.
Happy to hear about Wisteria's progress in her new home. Also happy to know that I'm not the only one who takes awhile to get unpacked. I'm still unpacking from the motorhome back into my trailer. Too many clothes, not enough kitchen storage, and not enough room for adding extra cabinets. I'm trying to get rid of more stuff, but it's always tough to let go of personal things.
After I move, I will be getting a small dog, if anyone has any tips. I plan on notifying the Humane Society that I'm looking for something like a Chihuahua, or miniature poodle, or mini dachsund. I really like those '****sius' (sp), (shistu?) but not sure if i can find one at the shelter. I'm really excited about having a little doggie, after being a cat person all my life. I don't anticipate any problems with the cats, but now I will have to remember to walk the dog, since they, unfortunately, won't use a litter box . If anyone has tips on breeds, or dealing with a new dog, let me know.
I've missed being a part of the group, and glad to be home again.

Last edited by anomoly; 10-04-2009 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: they bleeped the spelling of the dog, how funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement