U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times

Advertisements

Anomoly - go to petfinder.com when you're ready. They have dogs that need homes for the entire US (and even beyond, I think). Then, contact all the rescues in your area and as far as you're willing to tyravel to and let them know what you're looking for. Looking on petfinder will give you an idea of what you are attracted to, but many times, it's when you have that face-to-face that it clicks. Rmember that mutts are just as good as purebreds. Also consider that there are shots, heart worm tests and medications, etc... (neutering should already be done - most shelters don't let their dogs go before and it's part of the cost of the dog.) This is a long term commitment - so if this might be a passing thing for you - forget it. Also, even when you go out partying, the next morning that dog has to go out early!!! Also, consider any pet limitations at the new park. Don't mean to rain on your parade - if you're serious, this is a wonderful companion. He/she will always love you - with or without make-up. Also, even if the dog is small and harmless, they give a sense of security because they'll alert you if anyone is outside. When I'm on the road, I love having them with me (even if they add some complications) because I often will pull into a rest stop (if it feels/looks secure) and just sleep in the car. I never sleep long so it doesn't make sense to go to the expense of a motel every night (and motels give me the creeps - you never know who slept in that bed before you). I know that I will be alerted if someone comes near the car. I'd be scared to death without them. So, good to hear from you and I'm done blabbing!

Old 10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
Once you get settled, see if you can find a local shelter or rescue group that puts the adoptees in foster homes. You can probably find one that's been fostered with cats or at least they'll know whether or not it gets along with cats. Being in a foster they can also tell you more about the dog, is it yippy, nervous, excitable, etc. The more you can find out about the dog's personality before you adopt it, the better. I've got a friend with two Jack Russell terriers. One's hyper, barks a lot, runs constantly. The other is more laid back, friendly, rarely barks.
Many rescue groups are breed-specific these days. Do a Google on the breed and look for links to rescues. Some of the smaller breeds can be trained to use a littler box or at least "pee pads."
Animal Planet has been running a series called Dogs 101. They describe different breeds and their general characteristics, if they need a lot of grooming, etc.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:54 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Hello, all! Back from my journey. Autotrain was fabulous. Love riding the rails. Got off in Lorton, VA (outside of D.C.) and drove to Red Bank, NJ for weekend visit with daughter. Lovely town, great visit. We had so much fun walking to antique stores and trying on vintage fur coats. Left last Sunday and drove down Jersey coast to Cape May to catch the ferry to Lewes, DE - about a two hour crossing. Then drove down DelMarVa Peninsula. Was hoping to find a place to say overnight. Got to Ocean City, MD and it was only 3 pm so kept driving. Next thing I knew (no other places to say - driving country roads) I was at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel so kept going. Once in Norfolk I was only an hour and a half from Kill Devil Hills, NC (Outer Banks - OBX and my destination). So kept going. Ten hour drive but arrived at 8:30 p.m. tired and HUNGRY. Got my hotel room on the beach (strange - have been going there nearly every year since 1970 and first time staying in a hotel. My parents had a house there so always stayed at mom's). Then I went to Awful Aurther's for the BEST softshell crabs ever. Stayed a few days and from there just winged it. Finally decided to forget Raleigh and Richmond and drove north go Charlottesville, VA (wineries and tastings), then over mountains driving through the Shendoah National Park to Luray, VA. Spent a couple of days putzing around the quaint town and spent 2-1/2 hours going through Luray Caverns. Then it was onto Winchester, VA via the Skyline Drive. Met up with friends who live there and had a nice visit, dinner and reunion. Friday I spent the day driving (country roads again) to Harpers Ferry, WV. Very interesting and beautiful (where John Brown's upraising to free the slaves happened October 15, 1859). Finally drove back to Lorton on Saturday to catch train home. Got home yesterday. I want an RV!!!!! I really enjoyed the much cooler weather (37 degrees one morning in Luray) and seeing the beginning of fall. Back home to 90/70 weather. But, it will break soon enough (I hope). Happy October to you all!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
... I want an RV!!!!! I really enjoyed the much cooler weather (37 degrees one morning in Luray) and seeing the beginning of fall. ...October to you all!
That sounds like a great trip ! Thanks for the details, I will note the food joint for my next trip. I do enjoy the area around Harpers Ferry, and have family in Sheperdstown.

For a great women's RV look at a Roadtrek or Rialta. You can find low mileage used ones, but they are really nice for a 'second' car. Both are usually full self contained RVs that get 16-20 mpg and can be parked in a std parking space (handy for 'stealth' camping.)
Roadtrek Motorhome, RV Camper Van, Class B Motor Homes
Rialta Heaven - Home

Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Since Nancy is moving here this week and my sister is also visiting this week (so, I probably won't be here at all), I thought I'd post a good photo showing how close the park is in relation to the beach:

If you look at the upper left-hand side of the photo, you can see the park and the homes there (I tried to highlight it a bit). The street to the right of the photo, just above the beach, is the main drag, and it left turns to the park area. Literally a beach within walking distance! This is California Livin!

Nancy, welcome to Santa Cruz!!!

Peace out!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM

205 posts, read 360,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
That sounds like a great trip ! Thanks for the details, I will note the food joint for my next trip. I do enjoy the area around Harpers Ferry, and have family in Sheperdstown.

For a great women's RV look at a Roadtrek or Rialta. You can find low mileage used ones, but they are really nice for a 'second' car. Both are usually full self contained RVs that get 16-20 mpg and can be parked in a std parking space (handy for 'stealth' camping.)
Roadtrek Motorhome, RV Camper Van, Class B Motor Homes
Rialta Heaven - Home
Thanks for the tip! I have looked at Roadtreks and think they are great. When I was on the Skyline Drive a couple pulled into one of the overlooks in one - tags were all the way from Alaska! I was so envious. Would loved to have stayed longer on my journey but hotels (even inexpensive ones) really do add up. A Roadtrek would certainly alleviate that expense. Maybe someday. I can only wish.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Default Bye, Nancy! Safe travels!!

I believe tomorrow is THE DAY! New state, new home - too exciting!! Here's hoping for a smooth move. You'll soon be surfin with that crazy cat, Gracie

Karcon - your trip sounds wonderful!!

Wisteria - SHAME on you for posting that picture!! I have another MN winter to look forward to.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
...Would loved to have stayed longer on my journey but hotels (even inexpensive ones) really do add up. A Roadtrek would certainly alleviate that expense. Maybe someday. I can only wish.
Consider the 'guest-home' option, as I've previously mentioned, these 'home-stays' have really 'made-my-vacations'. (from social aspect, food, culture, and helpful host info). I would be willing to pay more than the recommended rates ($10-$20/ night), as most hosts donate it to charity, or don't want any 'contribution'. I have only had one stay that was less than ideal in nearly 15 yrs of using. Really great overseas. You get a 'profile' of host home, so you can screen for the most ideal fit. Now that I'm 'of-age' (50+) I can use The Evergreen Travel Club, tho there have been other directories I have used and am a host member. I consider them very safe and comfortable. I sent a single mom and two teenage daughters across the USA with my directory last year. After their first night they were 'hooked', and planned the rest of their trip to make best use of guest homes.

With my 52 mpg VW Passat and 'guest homes' + a cooler, I can travel for about $50 / day if driving ~400 - 600 miles / day. I will pursue 'workamping' as a longer term option, especially if I could get a 'National Forest' stint hosting in one of their 'remote-trail-cabins' for a season (Winter preferred!!). I'm also considering working for Xanterra, as I would like to winter in a National Park (Yellowstone or Tetons preferred, while I'm still young ).

There is always "couch-surfing' for the more adventurous. Or the 'Youth Hostel', if you are up for dealing with 'Foster home of college kids' There are quite a few single seniors I've met in Hostels. Can't beat them in CA (Especially Lighthouses & Ft Mason!!). (SF Wharf / Marina district for $25/night w/ FREE parking, great view / community gardens, Bike Path, Access to Presidio, Close to Exploritorium / Center of Fine Arts / & a QUIET area)

Yikes! I'm itching for a road trip, (tho I just got back from an ideal day at the North OR Coast). A friend from Singapore showed up expected this AM, What a great Day at the coast. ~ 70F, October colors and bright sunset over Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, and perfect afternoon lighting for excellent pics at Hug Point

Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 AM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
I love looking at the Roadtrek (although new ones are shockingly expensive. I saw one parked in front of my town library, went in and found the owners. They were a retired couple touring the U.S. in their Roadtrek. Guy showed me the interior, said they got about 15 mpg. Said he'd worked as an engineer and LOVED retirement.
The Roadtrek was very cool.
Regarding small dogs, I think parks often specify by size (usually "under 20 pounds" more than a particular breed. I also suggest that, if adopting (my favorite option), get an older dog, one who would live quietly in a trailer or wherever.
On petfinder.com, you can specify size, age, whatever you want.
If I bought a breed small dog, it'd be a Cairn terrier, hands down. Big dog personality in a very cute little frame (Toto dogs).
I love adoption, I must admit. But I'd always prefer a quieter, older dog. Nothing like puppy/young dog energy!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 AM

384 posts, read 877,800 times
I love the RV option too ...and Anamoly provide some good advice on RV's. I have been looking at them even though my retirement plans are on hold. From what I have read, they do not seem to be an inexpensive option - either to buy or to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement