U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 03:42 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,400,186 times

Advertisements

These ideas all sound delightful, EXCEPT, it's one more thing to take care of. One more thing that will eventually require fixing & maintenance.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,400,186 times
Has anyone used women-traveling dot com for travel? Looks like fun.

Make sure you type the entire thing as women-travel will get you somewhere entirely different

Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM

796 posts, read 777,594 times
I have to include myself in those who have the motorhome bug. It is someone I have often thought about when I was younger. I would like to spend time traveling to each state just for the fun and experience.

The thing is now here I am with all the time in the world, I have no responsibilities (children family etc), have some money saved and now I lost my nerve to drive that far! Physically, I wouldn't be able to do all the walking and exploring I would have years ago. I also wouldn't feel as safe going it alone. Just another reason not to put off your dreams. If you can possibly make it happen along the way rather than waiting for the right time or having a certain amount of money saved then do it.

I admire all of you who are taking on new challenges and experiencing new things. If some of you could bottle up some of that "guts and determination" you have and send it my way I would appreciate it. I seem to have lost mine!

I thought I would include a website I found that looked interesting. I haven't had the chance to really look into it yet.

RVing Women - Recreation, Support, Information and Networking for Women RVers

Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Appreciate the site.
I have an elderly friend who told me she and her husband and another couple used to RV all over the West (this, in the 1940s-50s). I told her it interested me, and she said it was a lot more fun "when the men take care of all the messy stuff, like water and sewage hookups."
Something to think about. I dislike the nuts and bolts of things!
I'd only consider some kind of pull trailer, so I'd have a car to go around without dragging my "house" with me, plus I'd only consider it for stayin somewhere for a period of time, like a season, not for saving money for lodging on the road. I, too, like to pull up to a restaurant or B&B when my day of driving/seeing is done. (Then again, I've never been accused of being frugal on trips. And if you can't spend enough traveling, add horseback riding and boarding multiple dogs back home).
I do think I'm just eternally fascinated with tiny living places that are complete (to me, some kind of bathroom facility).

Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM

384 posts, read 878,040 times
Gandalara - I have not used elder hostel but their programs have interested me since my 30's when I was on a ferry for three days and there was an elder hostel group on it too - I went to all of their presentations and said I couldnt' wait to use them when I hit the right age. Since then, I have also seen the Road Scholar program which is a sub group of elderhostel ... and that program really interests me.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:44 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,039,757 times
Default Moving ahead

I decided that I needed to move ahead with planning to move, despite the horrible real estate market here. I'm not getting any younger, will be 65 next summer. Fort Collins is my first choice, with Santa Fe a possible second. Since I need to build, it will take quite a while, but at least I've started the process of looking for land.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:56 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,527,559 times
Default I'm here . . . . .

I arrived late Saturday and just closed on my new little house today. It's right near wisteria so we are really neighbors . Many of you remember when we searched for a cluster of cozy cottages. Well, we found them. Three blocks from the ocean. Would anyone have ever thought that? ::

And, speaking of wisteria's house..... she is so adventurous and creative. She has totally transformed a dark place into a light , beachy beautiful home. Her use of xolor is amazkng and she combined shades and hues that you would never think belong together into an amazing harmonious delight.
I am so boring and never would have thought to do this. She's a true artist.
Right now , my internet goes in and out , but by Sunday everything should be all set up in my new place. So please excuse any typos....
Thanks for all of your wishes.
nancy

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-17-2009 at 07:28 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM

4,133 posts, read 13,323,556 times
Glad you've moved and are settling in, it must be a great feeling to have all that behind you. Neat that you're so close to Wisteria too - not to mention the Pacific Ocean! Sounds like she has a flair for decorating and it prob. won't be long before you're on your way too, nice to have someone show you the ropes. Did your daughter move too and if so, how are she and the cat liking Cali living - ? Good luck w/ the internet, hope it behaves for you soon.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,244,061 times
Default Before and After Photos

Okay, some before and after photos, now that Nancy let my secret out that I love colors! Besides, it's a beach house, and light colors and complementary colors are what I wanted. Besides, if paint doesn't turn out....it can always be painted over, so I'm not afraid of colors. I think it's fun.

Okay, wish I knew how to resize these, but I don't -- sorry....

For the living room -- I took the previous owner's dark wood and colors and replaced them with light ones. Unfortunately, I ran out of paint for the opposing wall, and will get to it later, but in the meantime, it's still okay. At least it's no longer a cave! I do have some fine-tuning to do, but it's a start, and you get an idea of the direction I'm going in. I have several other rooms that need to be repainted, too, plus loads of boxes to unpack! It will be a long venture of doing this....but at least I will have something I'm more comfortable with!

BEFORE LIVING ROOM:

AFTER LIVING ROOM -- Lots more color and light:

BEFORE KITCHEN -- it's hard to tell, but the walls are dark red, and the cabinets were done with some syrupy-dripped thing on them:

AFTER KITCHEN -- 2 views:
This is the window view -- new curtains, lighted chili peppers, light yellow background. Teal cupboard doors, and red accents. And....adorable red chili pepper salt and pepper shakers that Nancy gave me! Yep, I do love colors!

AFTER KITCHEN: Looking into the living room -- the colors, although different, still blend. It's nice to sit in either room and see the other.

That's it folks. I know lots of people don't like colors in their house, but I feel happier with them, so I've got them. And, like I said, I can always paint over them if I don't like them! The beauty of paint! Lol.

Last edited by Wisteria; 10-13-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 09:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,039,757 times
I love the living room the way it is now. Even the green wall looks good to me, with the nice shade of blue you used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement