U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 06:40 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times

Advertisements

This is a pic from my recent visit to Coos Bay/North Bend/Charleston area, on the s/Oregon coast. It was rainy !

Old 10-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Very nice CiB
And today (10/29/09) from my ex-hometown of Loveland, Colorado
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...now-oct-09.jpg
I remember more than a few Halloweens like this ! But... it may be gone by Sat eve, a warm 'chinook' wind can take care of 12" of snow 'over-night'. (That was real tragic as a kid hoping to avoid school the next day.)

Old 10-30-2009, 06:33 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Very nice CiB
And today (10/29/09) from my ex-hometown of Loveland, Colorado
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...now-oct-09.jpg
I remember more than a few Halloweens like this ! But... it may be gone by Sat eve, a warm 'chinook' wind can take care of 12" of snow 'over-night'. (That was real tragic as a kid hoping to avoid school the next day.)
I remember that too. T shirts and watching big piles of snow melt away. Other halloweens, we shivered in our coats under our sheets as ghosts. You never know what kind of weather you get in CO.
The OR coast is so beautiful! rain or sun.

We need a report from Ms. Nancy! She is the only one who actually picked up and moved to a new place alone (with her cat!) since this thread started. Others found their place next to where they were. Many got side railed by the economy.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,550,474 times
She really made a big move, totally awesome. I was a "next" mover 2 yrs. ago going from NE Illinois to NE Wisconsin, only 140 miles. I did move cold turkey, not knowing anyone in Two Rivers but I've been alone my whole life so it didn't really bother me. I moved closer to my sister, she's 3 hrs. away instead of 6 so much easier to get together.

I hadn't posted or read this thread recently I was thrilled for her making her move, looks like a great place! I lived in a mobile home in Illinois, not a bad way to go depending on location.

I was in a park for 30 yrs., very well kept, strict/controlled place. Area around it has gotten bad, I had to weigh pros and cons. Mine was nice, yard on all 4 sides, carport, 3 season porch, initially I felt I'd stay, but things change. I had to look at the big picture (I'm 62), how did I want to live when I'm in my 70's or 80's?

I worried about park being sold, many others were sold off no longer family owned, lot rents doubled to $700., extra charges for water, other things. A family owned park is great but if the dad goes, what will the sons do, keep it or sell it? There are no guarantees and in Illinois no laws protecting you, mobile is yours not the lot, if they sell out, where do you go with a 16 x 70 mobile or can you afford a higher lot rent? I had to get out of my first mobile because they upgraded the park, getting rid of older ones.

I didn't choose mobile living in Wisconsin because I wanted to be right in town and mobile parks in the midwest tend to be on the edge not walkable to town. Winter issues with mobiles get to be a concern, depending how they are set up. I worried every winter about water or sewer lines freezing up, not a fun time. I decided as I got older, I wanted a house, very close to town (walkable).

In Illinois, it was getting difficult to get someone to come out to maintain my mobile home. It was newer, size of a small ranch (1,200 sq. ft.) but finding someone to crawl underneath it, not easy. When its zero, wind chills, snow blowing, repair people hard to find! I always maintained mine, tried to keep it up, but things happen.

I don't talk against mobile living, its fine but as with everything, depends on the individual, doing your homework and research if that is the way you decide to go. Overall, I think mobile living in less severe climates than the midwest would be a great choice! I loved my mobile home!

Sorry for the long post, might be repetitive, but seeing this thread is pages long, I thought I'd share my story again! Once again, woohoo for Wisteria and Nancy!!!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,913,158 times
You are right susancruzs.. I saw it happen in FL when the owners of 55+ mobile home parks sold the land right out from under the ppl. Some of the folks were in their 80s and their mobile homes were so old they couldn't be moved. They had to find a new place to live and many couldn't afford a new mobile home. I wouldn't mind living in a mobile home but I live in Tornado alley and they love MHs.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,423 times
Default where to go

I'm nearly 60,active, alone and want a RV park with tennis courts. Texas seems to be the best buget wise. Any other thougts?

Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,913,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procun View Post
I'm nearly 60,active, alone and want a RV park with tennis courts. Texas seems to be the best buget wise. Any other thougts?
Why Texas? Are you buying the park or just renting? What else is important besides tennis courts?

Where do you live now?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,952,863 times
I am not retirement age yet. I bought my 1345 sq. ft. home in 1993. I live in Homestead, FL. Just got my property tax bill: $1,178.00. Not bad at all.....

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Just a quick note between meetings with my boss!

I just heard from the woman who adopted my dog -- and I was so relieved to read her response -- MN2CO, I did find him a good home and was so happy to read her reply -- I was afraid to contact her because I dreaded that maybe they didn't bond and he could have ended up in a shelter. So here's her short reply:

Quote:
Hi Sharon,

I’m so sorry I haven’t called your daughter back, I have been meaning to.

I can’t write much, I have a huge deadline at work right now. I just wanted you to know that Koko is so happy and I consider him to be the best dog ever! Everyone that meets him tells me he’s the best looking dog in town.

I would love to answer all your questions, I just don’t have time right now but just know he is very loved and happy!

Sincerely,

Anna
I feel so much better. Having to find homes for the pets you love is very hard. But I think he is doing okay, and now I can finally breathe!

Last edited by Wisteria; 11-03-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,393,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Just a quick note between meetings with my boss!

I just heard from the woman who adopted my dog -- and I was so relieved to read her response -- MN2CO, I did find him a good home and was so happy to read her reply -- I was afraid to contact her because I dreaded that maybe they didn't bond and he could have ended up in a shelter. So here's her short reply:

I feel so much better. Having to find homes for the pets you love is very hard. But I think he is doing okay, and now I can finally breathe!
This must be a relief for you. I simply couldn't do it - it was hard enough each time I placed one of my foster dogs - I'd lay awake every night wondering if they were treating them right. That is the main reason I stopped doing it. But, I also know that dogs can adapt to a new home and be very content - I adopted one and I believe (hope) she's happy here. If the new owners love him - that's what counts.

How's your new home - must less stress I bet. Sounds like a lovely area. How's your new neighbor, Nancy? Is she adjusting? Homesick? Thrilled?The day I walk away from here will be one of the happiest days of my life. I've had 4 homes and of all of them, this one, for some reason, has been nothing but WORK! I suspect you felt the same way about your house in the woods. Take care - nice to hear from you - keep in touch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement