U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 AM

205 posts, read 360,317 times

Advertisements

My, the thread is quiet. Nothing since 11/3? Still summer here during the day but nights are cooling off. Still working out at the gym. Am now into weightlifting. Really need to tone up those dreaded bat wings! Have finally decided to go to Scotland next year. It's where my mother and her family are from. Both son and daughter have been. It is time that mom gets to go too! Work schedule is slow but hope it picks up with the upcoming holiday season. Time will tell. Hope all is well with everyone and that you are just busy with life (in a good way). Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am happy to be a part of this and to have gotten to know all of you!

Old 11-19-2009, 01:03 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,611,188 times
Default Yes.... it is very quiet here .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
My, the thread is quiet. Nothing since 11/3? Still summer here during the day but nights are cooling off. Still working out at the gym. Am now into weightlifting. Really need to tone up those dreaded bat wings! Have finally decided to go to Scotland next year. It's where my mother and her family are from. Both son and daughter have been. It is time that mom gets to go too! Work schedule is slow but hope it picks up with the upcoming holiday season. Time will tell. Hope all is well with everyone and that you are just busy with life (in a good way). Happy Thanksgiving to all. I am happy to be a part of this and to have gotten to know all of you!
Scotland...... WOW ..... that's something to look forward to!

My daughter is supposed to arrive today (from s/Florida) for a couple weeks visit and ~ as luck would have it ~ there is an airline "computer glitch" resulting in massive delays coast-to-coast !!

Other than that, not much new and I'm not looking forward to another Oregon winter. According to zillow.com my property value is such that if I sold now, I'd lose about $100k ~ so here I remain California Dreamin' and Florida Dreamin'

Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,281,835 times
I haven't contributed to this thread, but have read it off and on. So, I hope you don't mind my asking questions that have already been covered.

CIB...I take it you are planning to move to either California or Florida? Do you mind my asking why? Is it too cold or too consistently overcast for you?

My impression is that people are wowed by how gorgeous Oregon is, even the desert. Eastern Oregon is a different fish altogether () and it's not a very populated area.

But then the rain starts...and the perpetual greyness during fall, winter, and spring. These past few years I've grown a bit tired of it. I feel like that several times a week now, rather than just a few times over the rainy season. So, I was wondering if that's one of your reasons for considering a move.

I have a friend who's about 15 or so yrs older than I. She & her now departed DH moved up to Washington a few years ago. It's fortunate that they sold there house here in Portland when they did, just when the market started a down slide.

She has lost about 40K value on her house in Washington just this past year. She has no plans on moving, so she isn't too concerned about it. The area she's in likely will never bottom out for a lot of reasons. 40K is still a lot to lose. But 100K? I'd stay put for a while, too, until things recover!

So, California or Florida, it is?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,670 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
... Is it too cold or too consistently overcast for you?

My impression is that people are wowed by how gorgeous Oregon is, ...
But then the rain starts...and the perpetual greyness during fall, winter, and spring. These past few years I've grown a bit tired of it. I..

She ...moved up to Washington a few years ago. ...has lost about 40K value on her house in Washington just this past year. ...40K is still a lot to lose. But 100K? I'd stay put for a while, too, until things recover!
$200k down for me SW WA (and no bites on house), but... my 'real-time' view of the clouds floating over the Vista House is currently stunning Maybe I should make a 'pay-per-view' web-cam... Oh, I guess you need HS internet for that not possible while the 'Friends of the Gorge' are watching me with their binoculars No cell towers, No Satellite dishes, No tree cutting, No commercial enterprises, No B&B for revenue, No nothing - but I do get to pay $33/ day property taxes for that privilege!.

I'm not headed to CA or FL (yet... maybe in my older yrs). Looking to WY, MT, ID, SD, or back to Colorado (home of 1st 25 yrs). The Left coast is wearing me thin (farm / prairie kid values...) OR / WA are trying to be just like CA, and that is gonna bite them BIG TIME. I have plenty of long underwear from living in the soggy and cool PNW. Sunny and cold mtn states (even snowing a few days / yr) is better for my psyche. + maybe ONE thing I vote for may be supported by the populous... I'm also looking to foreign places (like South Pacific Islands ), to get cheap healthcare for another 10 -15 yrs (till I can get Medicare)...
Quote:
But 100K? I'd stay put for a while, too, until things recover!
I guess all in due time.... Not exactly my desire, but that's what's in the cards at the moment.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-19-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,611,188 times
Talking Hi Wicked Felina.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
But then the rain starts...and the perpetual greyness during fall, winter, and spring. These past few years I've grown a bit tired of it. I feel like that several times a week now, rather than just a few times over the rainy season. So, I was wondering if that's one of your reasons for considering a move.

So, California or Florida, it is?
YES ~ exactly my reasons for wanting to bask in the California or Florida winter warmth.

Oregon is extremely beautiful and I enjoy summer and fall but I suffer from spring allergies and the winter chill occasionally gives me some shoulder arthritis. Then, the frozen mornings with black ice on the road keeps me indoors too much; thank goodness for the computer and internet to play with

In keeping with Wisteria's original thread topic..... IF/when I ever relocate, it will be as an older woman, alone ~ to Florida or California Surprisingly, this thread has evolved into sort of a "community in itself"

Old 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Stealth~~

I saw the links you gave on another thread - it's gorgeous. I was going to respond to that post with a ? as to whether you could make some $ off that view (B&B, etc...) but you answered that. Can you rent this out to someone willing to pay big $$? You are a smart person, surely you can think of a way to beat the (what sounds like) good ole boy system. It sounds like they are trying to push you out with the crazy taxes, but, no one can afford to just walk away (in your case). I think I'd be a little pis*ed off.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,059,826 times
Yes, very quiet in here. I'm waiting out my last days at work. Just 6 more weeks and I will be retired. Funny thing is that work has gotten busy all of a sudden. I even have to take one last week of travel to help train someone to fill in after I leave. The techies I work with are starting to say things like what will we do without you. But no managers say much of anything. That's what comes from poor managers - they don't know what they've got. Not that I would stay regardless. They announced my retirement party and I've already got someone telling me how great it's been working with me and I can't remember who they are ... Funny stuff.

I've bought a new laptop for a ridiculously cheap price and just got a new modern cell phone. I have to replace the electronics that I have to give back my last day.

Wonder how Nancy and Gracie the cat is doing in her new city on the other side of the country.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,402,814 times
Tesaje - Let the drums roll!! You bet they will miss you and they will realize how much they took you for granted. Their loss. I'll be interested to hear where you decide to end up. I still think we should have a meetup in a year or two -most will be west of the Mississippi except a few that will love to come west for a visit! If I'm in CO, I'll host it - in Jan-Feb. It will be fun to roll these spoiled west coast girls around in the snow!

Old 11-19-2009, 06:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,059,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Tesaje - Let the drums roll!! You bet they will miss you and they will realize how much they took you for granted. Their loss. I'll be interested to hear where you decide to end up. I still think we should have a meetup in a year or two -most will be west of the Mississippi except a few that will love to come west for a visit! If I'm in CO, I'll host it - in Jan-Feb. It will be fun to roll these spoiled west coast girls around in the snow!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I don't really care anymore. I have my sights on my future life, not on the past one.

I would be game for a meet-up. I think it would be a lot of fun and very interesting to meet the ladies of this thread. Next year, I would be able to do it. Nancy came from Long Is so snow would be no stranger to her. It might bring up some memories for Wisteria. It's those FL gals who might get shocked! My mother reports that there has been quite a lot of snow in CO this fall.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,670 posts, read 40,039,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Stealth~~
... Can you rent this out to someone willing to pay big $$? You are a smart person, surely you can think of a way to beat the (what sounds like) good ole boy system. ...
I really don't think renting it out is worth the risk + taxes alone are $1,000 / month. The realtors say the house is in impeccable condition and does not need updating, as it looks like new, tho 15 yrs old. It has lots of natural wood and stone in interior. Items that are very ez to scratch / trash. I have a 1' x 16' chunk of clear vertical grain Hemlock capping my stairwell and bookcase right inside the door. It is formed in a U shape and would be very difficult to replace (one of many things). I have to threaten the kids with their life to not lay stuff on this natural wood. (and they still do @ age 25+...). One mistake running the flue on the fireplace would ruin a large vaulted ceiling, (my folks had a foster kid do that in their NEW basement, and I remember it like yesterday (and I was only 5!!!) ugly thing. So... a bit of a hassle, tho a beautiful abode I am thankful to have got to design, build, raise a family in, and be a (temporary) steward of.

Both my Grandparents and parents were forced off their farms due to taxes and urban sprawl. I left my last farm in 1992 for the same reason, so why not another. I am just worn-out, as it takes a lot of work to build a farm / rural place. AND in the PNW if you are gone for a few months, the brush / blackberries / invasive species, will get too far ahead of you to catch up. It took a good 10 yrs to get current place manageable. (Blackberries were 15-20 ft tall and wrapped and intertwined in everything, didn't even know there was a view for 3 yrs~!!). I left my previous farm for one season to move to Asia. Had good folks watching the place, but the crops, weeds, gardens, buildings, orchard, lawn, home repairs ... all got out of control. I worked like a dog to get it ready to sell, and that took me 3 yrs just to get it back to reasonable shape. After a lifetime of farm / rural living, it is no wonder that I loved living in a 30 story flat in Singapore. Nothing to fix or maintain . Swim 2-3 x / day and walk to the store / fresh market anytime I needed something. I'm sure lots of us are ready for a break, and I'm really glad Tesaje is making a break Yippee . Oh darn, " tough to get along w/o you" () "see ya later",, (yippee)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement