U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:00 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Minervah- the nice thing about not being a home owner is that you can pick the one you think is best and if it doesn't work out you can move on to the next spot. I think in 2 years, a place you thought was "the one" may change in a way that it no longer meets your requirements.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a van and outfitting it to be a small RV. Some of the diesel ones are equal to or more fuel efficient than my current car. During my transition period, it might work out to be a huge cost savings if my house sells sooner rather than later when that time comes. It might also be the best answer to finding that perfect place to move to. If I set it up right, it could also serve as a supplies vehicle - could get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it.

I could set up in it and really try out a place before looking for a house. I just can't see getting one of the bigger ones - too hard to maneuver, more space than I need, and too costly to drive. And if it is cost effective, it might be a better retirement solution than a car. If it cost no more to run than my car, it could be a good vehicle when I don't commute and don't have parking issues because I'm not working. If I move to a city with decent public options, it might just be used to travel in and could be ready at the drop of a hat.

But first, I need to do some test driving...

 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Reputation: 16283
Tesaje - Sounds like a good option. I will not rush into a home right away - really would like some time off from this stuff. I know I will eventually buy something but with people moving all over the place, it's hard to know what will be a good location now. My garage sale boxes get fuller and fuller everyday and the trash guy is earning his $$. I do need a place to call home that will acommodate guests.

Let us know what you decide to get - never kinow - my thinking is slowly evolving.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Minervah- the nice thing about not being a home owner is that you can pick the one you think is best and if it doesn't work out you can move on to the next spot. I think in 2 years, a place you thought was "the one" may change in a way that it no longer meets your requirements.
Yes that's true. In the past I have been free to move to a different apartment when I didn't like the one I was living in. It's a great escape clause when you have to deal with some loony tuna landlords like some of the ones I have had.

So I am pretty free to just pick up the cat, pack my stuff and move on. But as you say, it doesn't have to be forever.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:00 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Reputation: 23673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've been toying with the idea of getting a van and outfitting it to be a small RV. Some of the diesel ones are equal to or more fuel efficient than my current car. ... If I set it up right, it could also serve as a supplies vehicle - could get a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it.
...But first, I need to do some test driving...
Good Idea, You can find the ex- DHL Sprinters for fairly inexpensive, they get ~ 25 mpg, and I like the "yellow" for safety, + there is a website on 'Stealth' camping that works well in a vehicle that looks 'commercial'. (just park in a business parking lot!). I also use hospital parking lots + use this website Free Campgrounds for RVs

But... you can also get pretty cheap conversion vans that are not diesel, I am selling one for an older couple and we will probably only get $3500 for it. It is a 'Getaway' Ford, ~ 15-18 mpg. Roadtreks are a tad spendy, but good resale value (but too much 'capital' tied up).

These vehicles are very Handy, and good tow rigs for my 'SnowBear" 4x8 utility trailer ($300 used). Tilting, + can extend to 4x12, and haul 2000#. They are very nice. I used it as a 'hearse' and hauled my dad 2500 miles to his choice of cemetery. (Sis wouldn't agree to cremation). I have found a Toyota camper shell that fits just right, so I can tow it with my 52 mpg Passat Wagon and have an 'RV' (I only get 42 mpg towing @ 65 mph...)). My Rialta RV gets 18 -20 mpg @ 60 mph. For a single (resourceful) person, I would get a van. The Sprinters really drive nice, but are in the $20,000 range. I have considered getting a sheepherders wagon and towing it with a tractor & sign "Will Work for Fuel" Cowboy Camp Outfitters, Inc. (http://www.cowboycampoutfitters.com/wagon.html - broken link)
but... the Passat is much cheaper and faster.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Winter Park FL
205 posts, read 359,913 times
Reputation: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Oh good!! Another spoiled coast girl to roll around in the snow!! Definitely will keep you in the know. Enjoy your vacation - great place to visit (or so I hear!).
Hey, I've lived in the mountains (Boone, NC), I've driven in snow (and lots of it); I even owned a husky!!! Maybe a little "prissy" but never spoiled! Well, maybe weather-wise. And I really want to see snow - honest.
 
Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM
 
13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Reputation: 20500
My father lived in his van for a couple of years (not outfitted particularly) and his two dogs. He parked at the outskirts of nice hotels or Walmart. He said there was no problem at the hotels because there was no indication that the van was a home.
 
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Reputation: 15649
I've been away from this thread for a while, tending to some health and family things. Also, fixing the items on my house that caused the sale not to go through last spring. Now I'm back on board with unloading. I know I should start another thread on this question, but it does have to do with older women realocating!

I've been carting carloads of stuff away from the house forever it seems. I don't even own all that much!! But after raising a family I have a lot of mementoes including many framed pictures that I will probably never put around the house again, and don't want to keep carting these heavy boxes of "stuff" with me. Plus I have books I'll never read again, art supplies only some of which I'll use, boxes and boxes of writing and correspondence and artwork and (sniffle) more kids artifacts~!

The question is, how did/are you all dealing with this kind of thing as you downsize? Did you get bold and get rid of everything, pawn it off on kids, etc. or wind up carting all this stuff with you? I'm truly curious to know how others are handling this!! I worry that if I throw too much away, in my old-old age I won't have anything to reminisce with...but maybe that's a good thing?? How much should we be bothered with the past, and how much do "things" of the past hamper our ability to move efficiently and lightly?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc.!
 
Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Sarasota Florida
1,236 posts, read 3,607,670 times
Reputation: 1230
Default Here's what I did.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The question is, how did/are you all dealing with this kind of thing as you downsize? Did you get bold and get rid of everything, pawn it off on kids, etc. or wind up carting all this stuff with you? I'm truly curious to know how others are handling this!! I worry that if I throw too much away, in my old-old age I won't have anything to reminisce with...but maybe that's a good thing?? How much should we be bothered with the past, and how much do "things" of the past hamper our ability to move efficiently and lightly? Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc.!

When I relocated from e/coast to w/coast, after 30+ years of accumulating "stuff" I had the biggest Yard Sale in town, and whatever didn't sell, was donated to the women's shelter (they came to pick it all up). Simple! I did save a couple of family heirloom items like photos, etc. which I sent out west via UPS or FedX.
Then came the fun part ~~ replacing all the "stuff" at other people's yard sales
 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,050,067 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've been carting carloads of stuff away from the house forever it seems. I don't even own all that much!! But after raising a family I have a lot of mementoes including many framed pictures that I will probably never put around the house again, and don't want to keep carting these heavy boxes of "stuff" with me. Plus I have books I'll never read again, art supplies only some of which I'll use, boxes and boxes of writing and correspondence and artwork and (sniffle) more kids artifacts~!

The question is, how did/are you all dealing with this kind of thing as you downsize? Did you get bold and get rid of everything, pawn it off on kids, etc. or wind up carting all this stuff with you? I'm truly curious to know how others are handling this!! I worry that if I throw too much away, in my old-old age I won't have anything to reminisce with...but maybe that's a good thing?? How much should we be bothered with the past, and how much do "things" of the past hamper our ability to move efficiently and lightly?

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, etc.!
I'm facing this now and think I will do a big clean out 1st thing for retiring. It would be good to clear out before I tackle the remodeling. Less junk in the way. I think modern technology is a good solution for mementos.

Quote:
How much should we be bothered with the past, and how much do "things" of the past hamper our ability to move efficiently and lightly?
The short answer is whatever you like and makes you comfortable.

My mother has been scanning many of the family things. This makes a digital picture of these things. The big advantage, aside from huge space savings, is that they can be distributed to many family members and have a better chance of surviving that way. I just got copies of old pictures of me and siblings and where we lived when I was 6. They had been residing on dusty slides. Now that they are digital, we can all have them. We have digitized really old family pictures (100+ years old) as well as more recent ones. A few CD or DVDs with backups and you can have all that stuff in very little space and very little weight.

Books can go to used book stores or libraries. Art supplies could be donated to schools. Actual kid artifacts should be offered to the kids first. What they don't take, take good ;ictures of and keep on your digital memento repository. Only keep that which you actually use or love so much, there is no question that you want it with you. All else, just scan or take pictures of it and keep it that way. With a good high megapixel camera, I take very good pictures of writing that is very readable.
 
Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I'm facing this now and think I will do a big clean out 1st thing for retiring. It would be good to clear out before I tackle the remodeling. Less junk in the way. I think modern technology is a good solution for mementos.

The short answer is whatever you like and makes you comfortable.

My mother has been scanning many of the family things. This makes a digital picture of these things. The big advantage, aside from huge space savings, is that they can be distributed to many family members and have a better chance of surviving that way. I just got copies of old pictures of me and siblings and where we lived when I was 6. They had been residing on dusty slides. Now that they are digital, we can all have them. We have digitized really old family pictures (100+ years old) as well as more recent ones. A few CD or DVDs with backups and you can have all that stuff in very little space and very little weight.

Books can go to used book stores or libraries. Art supplies could be donated to schools. Actual kid artifacts should be offered to the kids first. What they don't take, take good ;ictures of and keep on your digital memento repository. Only keep that which you actually use or love so much, there is no question that you want it with you. All else, just scan or take pictures of it and keep it that way. With a good high megapixel camera, I take very good pictures of writing that is very readable.
Thanks for all your great suggestions.

Are CDs a storage medium that is likely to always, forever be readable by future technological inventions?? (I have some very old thin floppy disks for which my newer Mac does not have a drive.)

I'm having the hardest time with framed photos, frame + glass x 100 = heavy. I keep looking at these thinking what a shame to take them out of their frames, but I hate "stuff" displayed around a house and my kids are going to be moving around from some years to come, I can't see myself burdening them with this stuff. But they are irreplaceable, the only record....That's what I mean about being too "attached"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top