U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for all your great suggestions.

Are CDs a storage medium that is likely to always, forever be readable by future technological inventions?? (I have some very old thin floppy disks for which my newer Mac does not have a drive.)

I'm having the hardest time with framed photos, frame + glass x 100 = heavy. I keep looking at these thinking what a shame to take them out of their frames, but I hate "stuff" displayed around a house and my kids are going to be moving around from some years to come, I can't see myself burdening them with this stuff. But they are irreplaceable, the only record....That's what I mean about being too "attached"!
CDs are not forever. No one can say about how long any media will last or be something people use. But once digitized, you can always copy to a new media. Alternatives are get portable hard disks or flash drives. They are cheap now.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
I've been donating some of my books to the library. They are happy to have them and if the book isn't needed they sell it at their annual book sale.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:56 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
When my parents downsized back in the 70's - from a huge old 'grove' house - my Mom called the 3 of us and said to come get our stuff. We had about 4 months, until the new little house was ready. If it was still there on moving day, it was going to be thrown out.

I could not believe the things she kept.

But I have all of my report cards from Kindergarten through 12th, and my Zippy the Monkey. And my first handprint in plaster of paris.

My point is, if your kids are out of the house and on their own ... give the stuff to them. If it means something to them, they'll hang on to it.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,888,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm having the hardest time with framed photos, frame + glass x 100 = heavy. I keep looking at these thinking what a shame to take them out of their frames, but I hate "stuff" displayed around a house and my kids are going to be moving around from some years to come, I can't see myself burdening them with this stuff. But they are irreplaceable, the only record....That's what I mean about being too "attached"!
Get a digital frame. As suggested, use a digital camera to photograph all the kid artifacts and framed photos and other memories or scan them in.
Then get a digital frame and use that to display all of them all the time in the space one of those photos would take up.
Amazon.com: Kodak EasyShare M820 Digital Picture Frame with Home Decor Kit: Camera & Photo
There are lots of them out there in all sorts of sizes.
Or hang them up. Grouping them together on the wall or down a hallway. Most frames that stand can also be hung or adapted to being hung. The frames don't have to all be the same size or color or anything else if you've got enough of them. Browse through some decorating magazines to get ideas. This is a nice arrangement:
Family photo makeover transforms hallway, enhances architecture

Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
re: family photos and books, etc...great suggestions everyone, thanks. Sorry for going off topic, but just had to ask...

Old 11-24-2009, 04:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reading up on everyone's news. Astounding, congrats to all who've made a move!!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Happy Thanksgiving from Santa Fe!

Like the tips on what to do with things--I've been in the cleanout mode again--not sure if it's because it's Fall or because my company is in dire straits and if I lose my job I will have to decide what to do with the house. Last week I sold a file cabinet thru craigslist and got rid of two garbage bags of paperwork. No more moving that heavy thing around or taking up house space for paper. My garage sale/get rid of stack is growing.

Hi Karcon! Scotland! How exciting. Make sure you post pictures.

Sorry I haven't been around much--I think of all of you. I'm finishing up another semester at the college taking ceramics and should have more time until I start again the end of January. Unless the job disappears then I'll have to decide if I can stay here or move somewhere else. My friends in WA want me back there but after only one day of rain today I was remembering what the winters are like there. Ugh. Although I loved summers and the bike trails and if I had a ceramic studio...

Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,220,203 times
Welcome back! I haven't posted in ages, but I've been reading the posts and noticed you hadn't posted in a long time. I'm sure the others will also be thrilled to see you're o.k. I hope things work out for the best. Please keep us informed, we really do care about you.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,521,294 times
Yes, it is nice to hear from you . Hope things are going well.
You guys also, lenora & NEgirl.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,141 times
Thanks Lenora and Nancy. How is the move going Nancy? Have you settled in and feel like it's home yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement