U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times

Advertisements

OMG, NancytheReader, you moved to Santa Cruz??? I've been away from the board for soooo long -- the last time I knew, you were still mulling over the options. I can't WAIT to read the back pages to catch up!

As for me, I sold my place at the Jersey Shore in April (at a loss, of course) and moved back to Philly suburbs. Remember my desire was to move to Laguna Woods, CA, but I had to move here temporarily because of problems with my son (still ongoing, unfortunately) and a questionable long-term financial situation. But now, as it turns out, I just love this area. It is beautiful, with a lot of charming homes, green space, convenience to the city, and nice/intelligent people. I am renting an apt. with a lease that extends to May '10. I don't know what I'll do after that. The Phila. area is my hometown, but this particular Philly suburb is the best place I've ever lived. I'm afraid of moving back to Southern CA (I lived there 10 yrs ago) and then missing my hometown again. I'm SO indecisive!

Anyway, I look forward to catching up on everyone's stories! Missed you guys.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,242,737 times
Hi folks,

I know Nancy is very busy getting her house organized. Unfortunately, the workers are taking longer than she thought they would. Once she is settled, I'm sure she'll check in longer.

We have been spending time together getting to know each other better . Nancy came to my house for Thanksgiving and we (there were four of us) had a big round of Monopoly afterwards with lots of laughs!

Last night, as it is California and no snow....we went to the Lighted Boat Parade (see link: Santa Cruz Lighted Boat Parade buoys holiday spirit - Santa Cruz Sentinel) and it was beautiful. Sadly, my torn knee is not getting any better, so I had to limp awhile to get to where we wanted to be by the water. I hadn't been to the parade for years, and was shocked to see so many people -- it took us forever to find parking, but we finally made it. Some of the boat owners were kind enough to open a gate to their dock, and we had a front row seat on the dock overlooking the boat harbor (there were thousands of people there! and we are both short, so a front seat is just what we needed!).

It was a beautiful night -- starry skies, a little autumn chill in the air, but nothing like a winter back east! The waters were calm and we watched various sail boats and motor boats, fully decorated with lights, and music, and little kayaks, lit up like lightning bugs on the water.

Nancy's front porch and yard are very pretty, and she has a nice view of the mountains from her deck. I know that each time one moves to a new area that there are adjustments, learning to navigate the town, meeting people, etc. I give Nancy two thumbs up for being so courageous to relocate so far away from where she was!

And that's it for now. I may go down to the used bookstore today and get some reading materials to help me fall asleep. Sure wish I could retire now, but, alas, that stupid economy got to me. Still, I'm getting ready to set up a retirement date, so I can begin the countdown! Nancy assured me that it is better to have a date to look forward to, so that is my first step!

Talk to you later -- glad to see us still around. Happy December!

Old 12-06-2009, 01:42 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Wisteria it is good to hear from you! I've been thinking of you and Nancy and was wondering how you both were settling in. Have you heard from Anomoly lately?

Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Yes, it is good to hear from you. Sorry about the knee. Nice to hear Nancy is settling in. Moving is such a big job and it takes a long time to get done with all the work it takes to set up housekeeping.

I've got 4 weeks to go before my retirement but I have to take one last work trip this week. Sheesh! Oh well. I'll do my job until the day I retire then walk away from it. It won't be my problem after that.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:57 PM

177 posts, read 470,263 times
Default this is a hoax

you've been posting the same thing for at least a year

this is a hoax

Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,396,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post

this is a hoax
You appear to be confused.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post

this is a hoax
Huh? to whom are you referring?

There is a difference between a hoax and a conversation. There have been a lot changes and some ideas did not materialize that were discussed. I don't see anyone here trying to fool anyone else.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM

4,407 posts, read 5,929,861 times
Wisteria, thanks for the update on Nancy and please give her my congrats! I have searched through some older posts but haven't found the ones that describe how this Santa Cruz decision came about. (My bad for not keeping up!) Ahhh, Christmas boat parade -- they had those when I lived in Huntington Beach (CA)....plus we rented little boats and went through the canals of Naples to see all the houses lit up and decorated. Please tell Nancy that if she suffers from any East Coast - West Coast transplant problems, look me up! It is quite an adjustment, and I would do it differently if I had to do it over again (I got homesick and moved back in two years...not long enough to really acclimate).

Old 12-10-2009, 07:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Wisteria, thanks for the update on Nancy and please give her my congrats! I have searched through some older posts but haven't found the ones that describe how this Santa Cruz decision came about. (My bad for not keeping up!) Ahhh, Christmas boat parade -- they had those when I lived in Huntington Beach (CA)....plus we rented little boats and went through the canals of Naples to see all the houses lit up and decorated. Please tell Nancy that if she suffers from any East Coast - West Coast transplant problems, look me up! It is quite an adjustment, and I would do it differently if I had to do it over again (I got homesick and moved back in two years...not long enough to really acclimate).
Avalon, I have a relative in Philly but have never been there, what are housing (modest small house type) costs like there? Is the state friendly tax wise to retirees? And mostly...how much do the winters resemble NE, if you know?

I've also heard good things about Pittsburgh/

Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
I think PA is very tax-friendly for retirees.
Philly is a huge city and there are acres of working-class neighborhoods, an enormous terribly poor inner-city (North Philly), an very expensive and great little downtown (Center City).
The winters aren't that much different than N.E., at least Boston area. It's 300 miles south of Boston and still has the coastal versus inland effects. Now, I don't find Boston winters much bad, but I know it's colder further north and inland.
I think a Philly outlying/suburban-like neighborhood could be a pretty good place. Great public transportation into town, and a lot of town to visit (art/culture/restaurants). Just know that it's a "real city" in terms of the downside of urban life. A friend of mine who lived in Center City visited me in Cambridge and said, "This is like Disneyland, don't ever think of moving to Philly," and he finally moved to the boring Jersey suburbs after someone broke into his fourth-floor apartment by running across the roofs and coming in the roof deck. But that's Center City, likely to expensive anyway (but a great place to visit!)
If I had to live in an urban area again, I'd certainly consider Philly for all of its advantages, PA taxes for retirees, and relatively cheap housing. Would have to update my knowledge about neighborhoods and suburbs, though. But some things never change- revitalization still hasn't jumped across Spring Garden Street near the Art Museum. (Lots of great memories of the Art Museum, Rodin Museum, and the wonderful public library and fountains and boulevards). I do love Center City. Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement