U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM

510 posts, read 1,309,861 times

Advertisements

I'M BACK!!

Just wanted to throw that in real quick before I start to catch up. Went to Tucson for a couple of days, then just took a break from my computer for a bit. Boy, when you take a break from CD, it starts to feel like when you're in school, and you get behind in a couple of classes!
I've missed this connection with everyone! It hasnt been that long, but I have to refresh my memory on everything!

I'll bet this thread has progressed and evolved even in that short time..
I'll catch up with everyone soon. ..I hope!

PS
Now, who are you people again??
I feel like I gotta start all over again!.... LOL

Last edited by anomoly; 05-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: had to add...

Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times
oh, no. not short term memory loss !?!

You can't have forgotten US ........

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,209 times
Anomoly, you're back!!!

Are you going to meet with Dancingearth?? I hope so -- and if so, please report back (both of you!).

I feel hopeful that we will get a good group going. We might want to set up a bi-weekly time to "chat" online. If one has Yahoo or MSN, we can chat together as a group. I have a webcam. Any thoughts on that?

Welcome back, Anomoly!!

Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,058,975 times
Yay! Anomaly's back. Be sure and submit your approved time off slip next time you're going to be away. Just kidding!

Welcome back anomaly.

Kinda nice to feel like I'm getting to know a few of the regulars here in a small way; to the point you'll be missed if any of you are gone too long.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 PM

21 posts, read 54,287 times
Default I'm still here

I've been busy and quiet lately but am still here and dancingearth, I'm coming to Santa Fe but unfortunately just when you're going to be away. I'll be in Santa Fe from the 19th-20th and then up in Abiquiu the 21-26 of May, then driving back to Tucson.

I am going to look at land while I'm there! There are several possibilities for community. One is a 3 acre property quite close to Santa Fe, in or near La Cienega, which already has water and electric and is affordable. The others are in Abiquiu. I'll take pictures. Property right in Santa Fe is expensive, but just a little ways out, even half an hour, it's not so bad. I'm not exactly ready to do anything but just want to look.

I want to see how I feel about New Mexico after 10 years away and am actually thinking about going back to school there, to Southwestern College's art therapy program. Yikes!

I got more interested in and familar with astrology after I moved to Santa Fe, also. And also use it as another way to view and understand people, including myself. It adds layers to my understanding of the world and my feeling of the interconnectedness of everything.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:32 PM

21 posts, read 54,287 times
Default Anomoly - you were in Tucson!

Hi Anomoly - you were in Tucson! I think you stopped posting around the time I started. I live in Tucson. Too bad we didn't connect.

Is anyone going to be in northern New Mexico between May 19-26?
I'm also staying overnight on my way in Truth or Consequences on the night of May 18th.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:44 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,086,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_spirit View Post
I've been busy and quiet lately but am still here and dancingearth, I'm coming to Santa Fe but unfortunately just when you're going to be away. I'll be in Santa Fe from the 19th-20th and then up in Abiquiu the 21-26 of May, then driving back to Tucson.

I am going to look at land while I'm there! There are several possibilities for community. One is a 3 acre property quite close to Santa Fe, in or near La Cienega, which already has water and electric and is affordable. The others are in Abiquiu. I'll take pictures. Property right in Santa Fe is expensive, but just a little ways out, even half an hour, it's not so bad. I'm not exactly ready to do anything but just want to look.

I want to see how I feel about New Mexico after 10 years away and am actually thinking about going back to school there, to Southwestern College's art therapy program. Yikes!

I got more interested in and familar with astrology after I moved to Santa Fe, also. And also use it as another way to view and understand people, including myself. It adds layers to my understanding of the world and my feeling of the interconnectedness of everything.
Figures! I would have enjoyed meeting you.

I bought a house yesterday! Egads I think it's not far from Southwestern College. Not the area I would choose to live if I had more funds but it is a great price for Santa Fe and the houses are very well done for affordable homes--much much nicer than Rio Rancho homes. It looks like they are slowly getting rid of the trailer courts in the area. Hard to believe with the cost of real estate in Santa Fe that they are still there.

I couldn't wait two years to maybe get a house near the community college. Plus I have a feeling they would not be big enough and I'd be out of the affordable housing program and not able to buy anything. So I went for it. It's cute. Has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, passive solar, granite countertops, frig, dishwasher, microwave, gas stove, ceiling fans, stained concrete floors, red tin pitched roof, xeriscaped and irrigated front yard and nice big soaker tubs. I'm glad there is no cheap carpeting. I'd like to make my own rag carpets and get rid of this fabric collection. The houses are just being built so I'm having them put a 220 line into the garage for a kiln. It has concrete block walls around the side and backyard so lots of privacy and they aren't the ugly construction grade gray ones they use in Rio Rancho. The builder has done a nice job with the subdivision.

But then I couldn't get to sleep last night wondering if I chose the right house and if I could afford it. I picked a corner lot on the street rather than be in the middle of two houses--the garage faces south--I was thinking of a buffer from heat in the house in the summer and warmth in the garage--pottery studio--in the winter. Laid there with a ticker tape in my head of my costs. Got up and looked at my paystub and was reassured. Still have the mentality of a poor college student making $10/hr. The bank said I could afford $31M more and I said "NO." Scary enough at this price. Every time I buy a house I go through this and it always turns out fine. Since the place has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths I could always rent a bedroom out if I wanted to and I like having a spare room for guests. My daughter has already reserved it for next Christmas. She loves Santa Fe at Christmas too.

I love La Cienega. It is my number one choice of where I would want to live. When I drove through there to las Golondrinas last week I wanted to stay. Maybe my house will increase in price enough to get a good down payment in a few years and we can get something going.

I like what you said about astrology adding layers of understanding. Nicely put.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times
wow! Congratulations , dancingearth. What a huge step (even though it isn't your first home). I hope that you will let us see photos. It sounds wonderful.
I have heard great things about Santa Fe. And, it is truly an artist's haven which is what you wanted.
Rag rugs.... with their textures and colors sound beautiful.
Best of luck to you and let us knw how things progress.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 AM

14 posts, read 28,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi CityKitty,

Nice to meet you. Where in California are you located? North, south, central?? (Maybe right down the street! )

I thought of Maine, too, at one point. I toy around with a lot of different ideas, however, I do not have relatives or friends in Maine, so it could be pretty isolating. And those winters! I do like the towns along the coast, though -- they are beautiful.

I am open to various places, however, I am leaning more toward the southwest because of the sun, warmth and lower humidity. I have bad Seasonal Affective Disorder, and didn't realize that is what it was until I moved to the sunshine -- what a huge difference there was for me!

Plantlover, yes, I follow that thread, too. I know there are many varying opinions about the TorC area. I will re-check it out once my friends from here move there in a few months. They will keep me posted as to how it seems in comparison. The plus side of TorC ... if there was a group of people congregating together in one place -- is that property is cheaper there, and there is the possibility of cheaper apartments or multiple dwellings. That way, you'd be importing people of similar interests and values -- a ready-made network.

I am also open to other areas there, too. Of course, serendipity may kick in, and who knows what will happen? Sometimes we are just guided into the place that feels right to us. But if not, then I am still keeping New Mexico on my list.

Wisteria
Sun in Sag
Moon in Scorpio
Cancer Rising
Pisces Midheaven

Hi Wisteria,

Just thought I'd check in once again. I don't know exactly where you are in CA, but I'm in the east bay and we are at the beginning of an August/September type heat wave over here. It was near 90 today and will reach over 100 tomorrow. It's MAY! HELLOOOO!!! I'm NOT a happy camper right now. I really don't like the heat. I mean no, we don't have the humidity of back east, but this is nuts! I also worry about fires here and water shortages. What's really been pushing me of late is the fact that I believe they are going to continue with the spraying of the Light Brown Apple Moth despite all of the protesting we've been doing. I was wondering about your thoughts on that. Have you been on StoptheSpray.org yet? One of my cats and then I, got very sick after they sprayed Santa Cruz in November 2007, (yes, particulates in the air travel fast and far) now they're set to begin spraying there again every 30 days in June, then San Francisco and east bay beginning in August. I WANT OUTTA HERE!!
Still curious to know where you live now, and where you were from back east? Anyway, I think I'm leaning towards CT again, Maine is too much of a leap. Any decisions yet for you?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:52 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,209 times
First of all, "Congratulations!" to DancingEarth! Wow, a house of your own!! And in Santa Fe -- that is wonderful!! Good job!!

City-Kitty, I am in Felton, about 6 miles above Santa Cruz. We didn't have any spraying up here -- we are above Santa Cruz, and we are in the redwoods, so we don't have that problem. I, personally, don't know of anyone who became ill from the spraying....

I live in the Lompico area of Felton (Lompico, California - About Lompico). It's hot up here (supposed to be up to 100 today), but I don't mind it. It's that low humidity, nice and warm, the trees give a lot of shade, and I'm pleased with it. I'd rather have it warm than cold. Plus, I have a portable swamp cooler in my house, so that keeps things cooler and nicer. I couldn't live in San Francisco with all that fog and mist. And, if I want it cooler, I can just go down to the beach, which is only 20 minutes away...best of both worlds. In fact, my daughter works part-time at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, so I do drive her to work on weekends and then I get to hang at the wharf or the beach, if I want.

I'm from Buffalo, New York, originally, spent lots of time in the city (NYC -- my best friend lives in Brooklyn), and I have lived in Phoenix; San Francisco and Orinda; Seattle; Boulder, Colorado, and now Felton/Santa Cruz. I like New England, too, however, I think I have adjusted to the slower pace here, and I do like the sun. Each time I go back east, I realize just how much I have changed -- it's interesting to observe. I'm considering New Mexico because of the warmth, sun, low humidity, and beautiful scenery. It's cooler than Phoenix, but still nice and warm.

I think I will be hanging in here for two more years. My daughter starts college in the fall, and she chose to go to San Jose State to be closer to me, so she can take a bus over to visit me. I thought she would go to San Diego, but since she chose San Jose, I figured I should be here for her first two years, because her third year she will be studying abroad (she's majoring in International Business). In the meantime, I plan to visit my friends in TorC, and to re-check out New Mexico and maybe Colorado, again, although I'm more set on New Mexico. With the housing market the way it is (there are some great bargains up where I live, in case anyone is looking for a place near the ocean for cheap!), it would be better for me to stay, and to get a little more in my pension (yes, I work in a place that still has pensions! ).

So, basically, I will be exploring more in the next year or two. If something great comes up in the meantime, then I'll leave earlier, if not, I still have my place here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement