U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM

6,956 posts, read 7,406,670 times

Advertisements

http://bestsmileys.com/christmas5/20.gif (broken link)Happy Holidays to all the ladies (and gents) that have kept this thread alive and extremly interesting over the years Whether you are celebrating a religious holiday or just life, I hope you find peace and happiness. This year is almost over and I, for one, am so glad. 2010 just sounds better and I have a feeling it will be a better year - here's hoping!!

Welcome to the new people! It is comforting to know that you really aren't alone in your daily challenges, even though it sure feels that way at times.

I'm still looking forward to a face to face sometime - perhaps next year. If we wait too long, we'll all be that much older - much rather do this while we are all spring chickens!!

Now, I must gather all my courage and venture out to get a few last things - bumper cars anyone! We are to get what the east coast got starting late Wed/Thursday - tons of snow Glad I'm staying here.

Enjoy!! OH and NANCY!! You have been way too quiet for having just moved across the country. Now that you have been there awhile, tell us how it's going. Are you lovin it? A bit homesick? Still adjusting? Just became a surfer queen? Any moving stories - did it go well or did you encounter things we should look out for?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
well I stumbled on this quite inteesting forum and I must say that after seeing the prices you consider "reasonable" Im going to be buying a peice of land and pitching a tent in my old age

Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akala View Post
well I stumbled on this quite inteesting forum and I must say that after seeing the prices you consider "reasonable" Im going to be buying a peice of land and pitching a tent in my old age
Reasonable to me in my circumstances is 135K–150K --- lol now where on earth is there a nice small city or town with good neighborhoods and med facilities and parks that offers such homes (900-1200 sq ft is ideal)? The more I think about it the more I'm convinced i don't want my next place to be just another ranch house in just another location. I want a sense of a caring community (not co-housing, just a mythical place where folks grow old in a place and look out for each other)...

Old 12-21-2009, 05:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,962,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Reasonable to me in my circumstances is 135K150K --- lol now where on earth is there a nice small city or town with good neighborhoods and med facilities and parks that offers such homes (900-1200 sq ft is ideal)? The more I think about it the more I'm convinced i don't want my next place to be just another ranch house in just another location. I want a sense of a caring community (not co-housing, just a mythical place where folks grow old in a place and look out for each other)...

Your description of the caring community sounds wonderful. Why not create our own "Caring Community"!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times
well, get on board, and go check some of these communities out as a template. They are a lot closer to you than to me! (+ I'm not living in the east, at least permanently, (by choice).
Senior Resource for Aging in Place
NORC Blueprint :: Home Page :: United Hospital Fund

Quote:
Reasonable to me in my circumstances is 135K–150K --- lol now where on earth is there a nice small city or town with good neighborhoods and med facilities and parks that offers such homes (900-1200 sq ft is ideal)? The more I think about it the more I'm convinced i don't want my next place to be just another ranch house in just another location. I want a sense of a caring community (not co-housing, just a mythical place where folks grow old in a place and look out for each other)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Your description of the caring community sounds wonderful. Why not create our own "Caring Community"!
The town I visited last week in the hill country of TX had all of your requests. I spent an afternoon with the Senior Services director to get a feel for community 'vibe'. Everyone I spoke to in leadership of the city and county said "the quality of our senior population is superb, there is a waiting list of volunteers and they do a great job when given a task. Most are college educated, ex-professionals the came to this community for it's scenery and weather". There are lots of homes under $200k, I wanted to buy a complex of single level apartments and sell as condo / co-op for under $80k each. They are ~900 SF w/ 2 bedroom and 2 bath and big open kitchens and dining area. Private court yard. 1 Block to river and park; 3 blks to grocery and health club. No public transportation YET, library delivers via volunteers. University in town, 2 community colleges, 3 hospitals, 1 hr to CHEAP international airport.

I'm considering putting a CHEAP place there (to save on property taxes 2.8% !!!, no income tax). I think I can make or buy a place for under $80k and rent an RV space out for a 'caretaker' and to cover taxes.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,962,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
well, get on board, and go check some of these communities out as a template. They are a lot closer to you than to me! (+ I'm not living in the east, at least permanently, (by choice).
Senior Resource for Aging in Place
NORC Blueprint :: Home Page :: United Hospital Fund

The town I visited last week in the hill country of TX had all of your requests. I spent an afternoon with the Senior Services director to get a feel for community 'vibe'. Everyone I spoke to in leadership of the city and county said "the quality of our senior population is superb, there is a waiting list of volunteers and they do a great job when given a task. Most are college educated, ex-professionals the came to this community for it's scenery and weather". There are lots of homes under $200k, I wanted to buy a complex of single level apartments and sell as condo / co-op for under $80k each. They are ~900 SF w/ 2 bedroom and 2 bath and big open kitchens and dining area. Private court yard. 1 Block to river and park; 3 blks to grocery and health club. No public transportation YET, library delivers via volunteers. University in town, 2 community colleges, 3 hospitals, 1 hr to CHEAP international airport.

I'm considering putting a CHEAP place there (to save on property taxes 2.8% !!!, no income tax). I think I can make or buy a place for under $80k and rent an RV space out for a 'caretaker' and to cover taxes.
Sounds great! Keep us posted!

Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,063,187 times
Are you aware that TX gets very hot and humid (gulf air) during the summer? And they have fire ants and scorpions.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times

I'm considering putting a CHEAP place there (to save on property taxes 2.8% !!!, no income tax). I think I can make or buy a place for under $80k and rent an RV space out for a 'caretaker' and to cover taxes.[/quote]

Can you give us a hint as to which town? (anywhere near Dallas?)

Old 12-22-2009, 04:53 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,063,187 times
Quote:

Can you give us a hint as to which town? (anywhere near Dallas?)
The Hill country in TX is somewhat near San Antonio - to the west of. Much farther south than Dallas-Ft Worth. It is a fairly large area and is a noticeable rise in the area. I have a brother who lives in one area of it. If I were going to consider TX, it is probably the nicest area. I think part of it stretches to near Austin as well. Much too hot for me to consider, tho.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,253,985 times
If you google Hill Country Texas, about 16 million hits come up.
Here's the wiki on it.
And here's the Texas Hill Country Visitor's Guide - it has a list of cities and towns.
I visited some friends there in 2001 - pretty, but too hot/humid for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement