U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times

Advertisements

Very interesting, Steath & Tricajeanne. I'm glad I waited on moving - my feelinds about the type/size of house I want has changed and by the time I sell this place I will want a break from homeownership. Bad attitude, I know. I am grateful to be able to own a home - just tired of the work.

TESAJE!!!! If my memory serves me right, you only have today, tomorrow and Thursday to work and then you are FREE!! Let the countdown begin!

~~~

Old 12-29-2009, 12:32 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,049,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
TESAJE!!!! If my memory serves me right, you only have today, tomorrow and Thursday to work and then you are FREE!! Let the countdown begin!

~~~
Yes, indeed! I'm doing the final office clean-out and computer clean-out this week.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
congrats Tesaje !!!
2 more days of the 'grind'..... then 'freedom' (wonderful things await!, like trashing those work clothes, the alarm clock, & parking / transit permits) I'll admit leaving that nametag (magcard) behind left me with mixed feelings...till I cleared the guard shack on the 'way-outta-Dodge'.
My mind got wiped clean of work stuff, just like my hard-drive. (we both felt a lot better about that, and our 'SPEED' increased tremendously!)

Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,598 times
[quote=StealthRabbit;12211231]
While I'm more inclined for a casita, If the lot is big enough I could put a 'servant's qtr' behind nuestros casa (grande) It could be co-owned by a few, OR owned by 1 or 2 and continued to be rented out to 'support' itself.
(examples I found last night)
knoxville, TN LoopNet - 600 Radford Pl, Garden/Low-Rise, 600 Radford Pl, Knoxville, TN In case a membership is required to view...
(Nicely done 5plex in an established neighborhood in north Knoxville. TN, renovated in 1995. Main level units are quite large with front and back entrances, hardwood floors & high ceilings. $225k w/9.15% return on capital or $22k net per yr)

wow! neat looking place in Knoxville! - KNOXGARDEN, weigh in here as the knoxville resident expert! Seriously, let's all start identifying some regions we would consider/what our anticipated monthly resources are/interest in rental/buying/co-buying etc/maybe the multiple care-ing communities can start now - with a tip of the hat to nancy and wisteria who have already established the santa cruz respite - we do this right, ladies, and part of our income to support such endeavors will be the resulting books/lecture circuit and appearances on Oprah Winfrey and Good Morning America - - not to mention the multiple articles for AARP and various womens magazines............................carpe diem!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
wow! neat looking place in Knoxville! - KNOXGARDEN, weigh in here as the knoxville resident expert! Seriously, let's all start identifying some regions we would consider/what our anticipated monthly resources are/interest in rental/buying/co-buying etc/maybe the multiple care-ing communities can start now - with a tip of the hat to nancy and wisteria who have already established the santa cruz respite - we do this right, ladies, and part of our income to support such endeavors will be the resulting books/lecture circuit and appearances on Oprah Winfrey and Good Morning America - - not to mention the multiple articles for AARP and various womens magazines............................carpe diem!
That's what I like about you, triciajeanne - you think BIG!! Anyone thinking of running for President?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,239,770 times
Hi folks. Hope you all had a good holiday. Just quickly stopping by to add that Nancy thereader and I are both attending our park's "Holiday Dinner" this evening -- only $5 for each person and it is a catered event. The park residents chip in the $5 and I guess it covers a lot of expenses. Then the park owners are actually sponsoring this event. It is limited to 60 people (shows how many people live in this park), and we are going to see just who does live here.

I found it somewhat weird yet comical when one of the women who is very active politically around here, came by and gave me my "name tag," with not only my name on it, but also.....my mobile home space number. It does seem weird, but it's also a good way for people to know where you live in the park, if you are near them, and when they walk by, they know who lives there. They are intentionally making it a "community," rather than just a 55+ park near the beach. "And what number do you live in?"

We also attended a small holiday gathering last week with some of the "younger" members of the park, and found quite a few people from the east coast -- again, it was, "What number do you live in?"

The dinner is early (5 p.m.), and we were joking that it's for the much older folks who need to get home and to bed by 7 p.m.!!

It's not easy getting older -- it's tough. But we are hoping that in a community of our own age group, and many of us as children of the Sixties, we can transform retirement as we currently know it -- at least here.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:48 PM

895 posts, read 1,330,598 times
Default challenging the status quo - again and again and again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
That's what I like about you, triciajeanne - you think BIG!! Anyone thinking of running for President?

LOL! couldn't we all do it better than the standard fair(fare) we get year after year? we just have SOOOOOOOOO much common sense here; empathy; humor; etc - looks like we could initiate some sensible changes in the status quo. The guys have had their turn - - time to try some genuine female perspective/not necessarily feminista but something touched with a bit of estrogen. Honestly, as much as i figure i'm a little manic in my enthusiasm, i do think that the train of thought running here - the desire for creating community - the thinking ahead without sacrificing the present - the recognition that there is strength in numbers - all so cool. if we actually pulled off a series of these that actually recognized the reality of many peoples' finances, different needs, etc it could be incredible.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM

966 posts, read 918,839 times
I salute you, Ladies!! Brave, creative, motivated women -----hey, the dream could definitely be accomplished!
Is this the thread that had started a co-operatively written book about "all this""? Please count me in, if so. Writing is agreat interest of mine, and tho' I am not skilled in writing fiction, I don't do too badly with articles or essays.......my chapter isn't even near completion, however. Still stuck in NW Il. with it's cold and gloom and constant weather changes, longing for the sunshine and dry air of Az. I think I indicated before in this thread or another that the major "hold-up" is inability to get health insurance in that state due to pre-existing conditions.
I'm in a house that needs a bit more work, then will be ready to sell. I've been watching real estate in Phoenix area carefully. Who knows where I will be next year?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:29 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Knoxville was high on my list of places to check out for relocation but unfortunately it is no longer. I have been told that it is not possible to get around without a car there. I don't have a car and am not about to start learning how to drive. So my choices will be cities with good public transportation among other things.

BTW, I began the "scale-down" process a few years ago when I moved from a very large two bedroom apartment to a very small one bedroom. I had to get rid of accumulated stuff because there was no room for it. Sometimes I miss said stuff but I remind myself it's only "things." My rent is much cheaper (the old apartment rent has skyrocketed). Not only have I have learned to live with less, I have continued to get rid of a lot of the stuff I chose to take when I downsized.

It's a good idea to divest oneself of all the unnecessary stuff at a leisurely pace. So when I find my ideal place to relocate I will be traveling as light as possible.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
This is such a great thread.................I'm up in virginia just now, casually exploring some options. Just as a thought to those who would consider the east coast, i'm reading up on roanoke virginia - cost of living is less than many places in the east, it's a nice city with lots of scenic aspects, weather isn't terribly awful (this I say as this entire corridor had a blizzard a week ago but that honestly isn't the norm) - roanoke isn't anywhere near as humid as my beloved richmond or tidewater and the cost of living is definitely less than much of the state. Anyway, my focus is going to take me on explores around north carolina and virginia predominantly - while my options seem pretty focused on rental (I've already been wiped out by the bubble burst in florida and i honestly do not know that i have the energy or courage or even the money to step back into the housing market ever again), i am up for looking at co-buying and the like. I think there is opportunity here for many stations of our "caring community" with the opportunity for us to have co-places we can visit and explore. To all, mi casa is always su casa to explore a region - for now, that is in coastal carolina but as i said, the likelihood is that i will look for a cozy community likely a bit more west/tennessee is in the mix too but i guess i need to visit tennessee to really make any comment on that, huh? Since so many of us have a predisposition to certain parts of the country, it would be exciting if we have lots of little support enclaves great article in aarp or somewhere a few years back about the positives of seniors (in this case women) pooling their resources to have much better buying power and I think a lot of us are moving in that direction.
I spent quite a bit of time over the past two summers exploring Roanoke/Salem area. I liked Salem a lot, and Roanoke has a lot of arts and a great downtown farmer's market. I talked with all kinds of folks in the area including librarians and they had a lot of good things to say. The traffic in the area is pretty intense and traversing the city of Roanoke was not pleasant, very intensive driving (esp imagining it 10 years down the road). Salem has a nice library, college, nautral food store, and very small downtown area. I conclude taht for me at my age (1) Salem is not big enough with public transport and other amenities for seniors, and that going into the city of Roanoke for things will be necessary (2) Roanoke is a city with all its problems, would have liked it if I were 40 instead of 60.

I also explored Charlottesville Va a bit and really liked it--boy do they cater to seniors!! Honestly go see their senior center, it's like a university in structure and all the serious classes they give there (academics, the arts, etc brought in by U-Va professors). I was bowled over. Plus the transport system for seniors is great, the city obviously treats seniors as a normal and vital part of their population. I'm making another trip there as soon as the weather allows.

Keep us posted on your findings~~you and I seem to be looking for generally the same thing in a new location. Good luck and safe travel~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement