U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times

Advertisements

I remember that feeling - absolute freedom! Congratulations on your retirement! Perfect timing, I might add

Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 AM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Knoxville was high on my list of places to check out for relocation but unfortunately it is no longer. I have been told that it is not possible to get around without a car there. I don't have a car and am not about to start learning how to drive. So my choices will be cities with good public transportation among other things.
Actually you can get around Knoxville without a car quite easily if you pick the right place to live. Downtown is very easy, with good bus service and free trolleys. The Broadway corridor/Fountain City is very easy to get around and has good bus service. Bearden is also very busable. Sequoyah Hills is another good area for non-car living. That area is also very bikeable, if that appeals. DM me if you want more info.
I don't post on the Knoxville forum much anymore, sorry I didn't set them straight on this.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:38 AM

2,172 posts, read 6,886,109 times
[quote=triciajeanne;12224057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
While I'm more inclined for a casita, If the lot is big enough I could put a 'servant's qtr' behind nuestros casa (grande) It could be co-owned by a few, OR owned by 1 or 2 and continued to be rented out to 'support' itself.
(examples I found last night)
knoxville, TN LoopNet - 600 Radford Pl, Garden/Low-Rise, 600 Radford Pl, Knoxville, TN In case a membership is required to view...
(Nicely done 5plex in an established neighborhood in north Knoxville. TN, renovated in 1995. Main level units are quite large with front and back entrances, hardwood floors & high ceilings. $225k w/9.15% return on capital or $22k net per yr)

wow! neat looking place in Knoxville! - KNOXGARDEN, weigh in here as the knoxville resident expert!
That area gets spotty but is usually decent. I seriously looked at a house in that area when I was buying several years ago. There's plenty of shopping/bus service on Broadway which isn't too far off.
It is being rejuvenated and there are federal, state and local funds available for rehabbing. Much of that area has alleys. It's above old North Knoxville with it's historic houses.
Historic Old North Knoxville
The two question marks in the area are what will happen with St. Mary's Hospital. It's an old hospital and they're talking about tearing it down. They've merged with Baptist and have a new facility in Powell.
The other is that rail yard to the west of the property. It's known as the Costner Dump. They've had problems taking toxic waste out. It used to be a repair facility for freight engines. That's up in the air too.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM

462 posts, read 872,519 times
I was single for many years. If I was single or married, I would first look at New Mexico (friendly people) -- Rio Rancho (north of Albuquerque), Ruidoso, maybe Las Cruces. There is a Dell Webb community going outside of Albuquerque in Placitas (north of Albuq). You might also check out Sierra Vista, AZ. We lived there and absolutely loved it! small town, friendly.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM

462 posts, read 872,519 times
I can't recommend New Mexico enough. It is warm to hot in the summer but you can sit out in your lawn chairs after the sun goes down as it gets almost instantly cooler. The prices for homes are much much cheaper in NM. While we were in AZ (Sierra Vista) some years back, I noticed that they were reallly into the manufactured house utilization. Many people bought them there and I've known people who have them. It might be worth something to check out. There is a lovely mountain community in S Central NM (Ruidoso) in which many many people have these homes for sell. Also NO FIRE ANTS IN NEW MEXICO. People are warm and welcoming in NM and it is where I'm looking to settle down.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi folks. Hope you all had a good holiday. Just quickly stopping by to add that Nancy thereader and I are both attending our park's "Holiday Dinner" this evening -- only $5 for each person and it is a catered event. The park residents chip in the $5 and I guess it covers a lot of expenses. Then the park owners are actually sponsoring this event. It is limited to 60 people (shows how many people live in this park), and we are going to see just who does live here.

I found it somewhat weird yet comical when one of the women who is very active politically around here, came by and gave me my "name tag," with not only my name on it, but also.....my mobile home space number. It does seem weird, but it's also a good way for people to know where you live in the park, if you are near them, and when they walk by, they know who lives there. They are intentionally making it a "community," rather than just a 55+ park near the beach. "And what number do you live in?"

We also attended a small holiday gathering last week with some of the "younger" members of the park, and found quite a few people from the east coast -- again, it was, "What number do you live in?"

The dinner is early (5 p.m.), and we were joking that it's for the much older folks who need to get home and to bed by 7 p.m.!!

It's not easy getting older -- it's tough. But we are hoping that in a community of our own age group, and many of us as children of the Sixties, we can transform retirement as we currently know it -- at least here.
Wisteria - I totally missed this post (). How did your night go? Have you met many people that you might want to get together with? I had friends here for New Years - we heard the police were out in force that night so many ended up staying over rather than risk it - even a fiend that lives 1 mile away! Fun night. It's been below zero here - you might get a knock on your door some night! I'll be the one with icecicles hanging all over. Take care - nice to hear from you.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,240,303 times
Hi MN2CO:

The Holiday Dinner! The park owners sponsored the event, which was nice. There were about 60 people there. It was different – there were two groups – the "older" group and the "younger" group. There were singers from the Seniors' Follies and they sang songs mostly from the '20s and '30s. (They were actually good.) It was strange in a way. Those of us in our 60s were like: "Where are the Rolling Stones???" I think we young ones will have to shake things up a bit. They had a nice catered dinner with various dishes: chicken, fish, rice with artichoke hearts, black olives, etc. (can't remember what it's called), veggies, salad and a nice dessert. They rented tables and chairs, and it was nicely decorated. They had a sparkling cider fountain, too -- it was cute. It was only $5, so it was good, but cheap. The people are very nice, actually. We are, though, sort of divided up into the "older" and "younger" groups – which is normal. Of course, being Baby Boomers we will soon be the majority, so I think we'll be having a Rolling Stones concert sometime soon!

THEN….after dinner – and I live directly across from the clubhouse, so Nancy and I saw this – a woman had apparently fallen near my house. Well, within about 30 seconds the fire truck and ambulance were there!! Now, that was fast! She seemed okay, but they bandaged her up and took her in the ambulance anyway. That made me feel better because I do have that fear of living alone and something happening, but with the fire station down the street, it is handy. I was also very impressed at the way the people gathered around to help and seemed very concerned. I guess we all realized it could have been one of us there…..

Nancy and I ALSO took a carriage ride during the Christmas season (with horses) in downtown Santa Cruz, courtesy of our realtor. She raises horses, and the carriage was driven by her husband and the horses. It was really cute, and a beautiful, sunny day! And then one day we took the Roaring Camp steam train up into the redwood mountains -- not into Santa Cruz -- and Nancy got to see the redwoods up close.

Unlike most of the country, it is very mild and pleasant here – kind of like Spring – in the 60s during the day, but cold in the morning and at night. Nancy has remarked that she often sees people in cafes during the day wearing shorts and sandals, and tee-shirts – things she didn't see in the midst of winter in New York! Haha. We only need a light jacket most of the time. Last weekend, we went up West Cliff Drive and walked a bit along the coastal cliffs watching the surfers in the water! Seriously! It was a gorgeous day and lots of people were on the beach and flying kites! We both listen in awe to the horrible weather most people are getting – they never seem to mention California…..

And that's the fill-in for now. I guess I am our spokesperson. Nancy is having more work done on her home, and has been busy with that. Although she is retired, I know she finds that settling in and getting everything done still takes up a lot of time.

Gee, sorry we can't join you in the cold and snow….just kidding! MN2CO, come on over and melt those icicles!!

Talk to you later, folks.
Wisteria

Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 AM

966 posts, read 918,990 times
Hi, All! Feeling kinda lonely, so just checking in. Since I live alone (except for my furbaby, Raine) and often have health problems connected with the weather here, I don't get out as much as I'd like. Even though I have some wonderful friends here, many are married, and my single gal pals don't live in same town. I'm much more active in late spring, summer, fall---winter really isn't my cup of tea.

I've been following this thread for a while. I really enjoy reading your postings. I, too, am looking to move to a new location. I need a place with sunshine that also has very low humidity and few weather changes. For a number of years I've planned to move to the Phoenix, Az. area. I've grown to love the sparceness of the desert landscape, the wide open feeling, and the mountains. I don't have much money, however.

My son and I used to fantasise (sp??) about having an artist's colony somewhere, with individual cottages and shared studio facilities. Maybe host retreats or workshops--even reserve a few "cabins" for visiting artists. I think I would have a difficult time sharing a home with someone----as in having a room/bath of my own, then shared common quarters. I was an interior designer most of my adult life, so am awfully opinionated about my surroundings, and in a way, they're very much an extention of "myselfness". As it is, I've been in the process of downsizing for several years, and although I've cut back by at least half of what I once had, still have enough to fill a 1200 sq. ft house. LOL
I'm getting discouraged and anxious. I sold my house here last spring to finally make the "big" move to the southwest. Traveled out there several times. Checked many, many factors. However, I was given some incorrect information repeatedly, so to make a long story short, had to return home, pack up my beloved house and move rather quickly here in this same town. Not a good situation...... I'm afraid the lower housing prices won't last much longer, and have tried to follow the financial and real estate opinions of those who profess to know. I've seen houses in my low price range become more picked over while prices have also risen slightly. But now I'm in another house I must sell, because couldn't rent and keep my dog.

Anyway, I'm contemplating Az. or New Mexico. What's the opinion on Las Cruces? I've heard quite a variety of things. Does anyone still have any interest in checking it out?

This is reported to be the coldest winter we've had in 25 years......and it was" Supposed to be" the first winter in 40 years that I didn't have to live thru all the ice, snow, etc. I'm kinda bummed right now. But reality is. So I have to acknowledge it and try to keep going forward, right? I'm working on it!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
... I've grown to love the sparceness of the desert landscape, the wide open feeling, and the mountains. I don't have much money, however.

... about having an artist's colony somewhere, with individual cottages and shared studio facilities. Maybe host retreats or workshops--even reserve a few "cabins" for visiting artists. ... had to return home, pack up my beloved house and move rather quickly here in this same town. Not a good situation...... I'm afraid the lower housing prices won't last much longer, ...

Anyway, I'm contemplating Az. or New Mexico. What's the opinion on Las Cruces? I've heard quite a variety of things. Does anyone still have any interest in checking it out?

... keep going forward, right? I'm working on it!
Ugh, sorry to hear of your plight (stuck in ANOTHER house and winter to boot!)

I encourage you to get out to NM and SE AZ and give it a 'look see'. There are some areas that will likely suit you. (Sierra Vista / Benson AZ (I have a friend retiring in Paradise, AZ, and it sounds really nice) Might as well check out Silver City, NM while you're close. Las Cruces gets many votes and if you want some intellect and services with your desert domain, it is a good choice. Old Mesilla has some good spots for artists, and while it has a tourist square, there are nice enclaves nearby that are not so touristy. I personally don't plan on LC (as I don't particularly like so much brown in my vistas), but there are places nearby to get a taste of green every so often. My mom has been in LC for about 7-10 yrs and escapes to Ruidoso to an RV spot for a few weeks / summer.

I am not sure on the Real Estate market, BUT... if you can sell something you are lucky and inspired. I expect the 'downturn' to be 7-10 yrs, but the bottom may have struck in some regions and may be prolonged in more distressed areas. Desirable areas will keep decent values. Large houses scare me for future valuations. I expect they will be next to impossible to sell with high taxes and interest rates. I would make the move as soon as reasonable. Better luck, but I would not be heading to Phoenix (another personal choice). I much prefer Tucson, tho it is too big as well. Phoenix is way beyond too big.

There are some delightful little towns in NM and AZ that will be very cheap and accessible enough to population centers. I hope you can buy the 'Hot-springs' in NM that has been for sale, It would make a nice artsy community / retreat arrangement.
Iteresting Area Points of Interest Near Faywood Hot Springs (http://www.faywood.com/Interest.htm - broken link)

Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,863 times
Default carolina observations on california dreamin.....

ah - this all sounded so comfortable.....but i did have to laugh with the "older and younger group" designation - here i was envisioning you and nancy as the "older group" and a group of twenty year olds as the younger. ROTFL when I realized it was the "young" retireds (US!) and the "seniors" - geez, can you imagine this group when our kids enter into the graying spectrum? 3 generations of seniors?????

SW florida was similar - i remember looking at a house when a couple came out and said it was good to see young people moving into the neighborhood (I looked behind me to see if one of my grandkids had been a stowaway in the car) and then realized that I (in my fifties) was one of the "young people". Funny and yet a little scary - i wondered about the neighborhood demographic at that point.

Back to your story - the dinner sounded very nice - the camraderie that you and nancy are sharing sounded delightful. And yes, we are all freezing to death here - I spent Christmas in Virginia and could not bring myself to stay outside hardly at all - I didn't even want to GO outside, much less spend time out there so many of my explorations were completely abandoned. In fact, I began to think seriously about throwing florida into the mix again - imagine my face when I watched my old haunts experiencing continued days of 30's in the nights/40's- 50's in the day. Warmer than here in Carolina and definitely warmer than NOVA but not exactly spring-like California. Sigh - I know this is a fluke but flukes certainly do curtail serious explorations. I'm a firm believer in experiencing areas in the worst weather conditions to seriously see the good, the bad and the ugly, but this is such an unusual winter ( i would have said "aberition" but i KNOW that's spelled wrong and i haven't downloaded spell check yet)

so let us live vicariously through your warm clime complete with companionship and community. It serves to inspire! For now, back to the work i have here, and the weather report that says "yes carolinah, there is snow in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow and while it will likely be just nasty nasty icy mix and it won't last for long, you are going to be cursed with this weather pattern for likely a few more weeks." and to that, i say, "curse you, polar bears and penguins - why don't you keep your arctic blast to yourselves????"

with chattering teeth but a warm heart and glowing spirit, i remain....
tricia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hi MN2CO:

The Holiday Dinner! The park owners sponsored the event, which was nice. There were about 60 people there. It was different – there were two groups – the "older" group and the "younger" group. There were singers from the Seniors' Follies and they sang songs mostly from the '20s and '30s. (They were actually good.) It was strange in a way. Those of us in our 60s were like: "Where are the Rolling Stones???" I think we young ones will have to shake things up a bit. They had a nice catered dinner with various dishes: chicken, fish, rice with artichoke hearts, black olives, etc. (can't remember what it's called), veggies, salad and a nice dessert. They rented tables and chairs, and it was nicely decorated. They had a sparkling cider fountain, too -- it was cute. It was only $5, so it was good, but cheap. The people are very nice, actually. We are, though, sort of divided up into the "older" and "younger" groups – which is normal. Of course, being Baby Boomers we will soon be the majority, so I think we'll be having a Rolling Stones concert sometime soon!

THEN….after dinner – and I live directly across from the clubhouse, so Nancy and I saw this – a woman had apparently fallen near my house. Well, within about 30 seconds the fire truck and ambulance were there!! Now, that was fast! She seemed okay, but they bandaged her up and took her in the ambulance anyway. That made me feel better because I do have that fear of living alone and something happening, but with the fire station down the street, it is handy. I was also very impressed at the way the people gathered around to help and seemed very concerned. I guess we all realized it could have been one of us there…..

Nancy and I ALSO took a carriage ride during the Christmas season (with horses) in downtown Santa Cruz, courtesy of our realtor. She raises horses, and the carriage was driven by her husband and the horses. It was really cute, and a beautiful, sunny day! And then one day we took the Roaring Camp steam train up into the redwood mountains -- not into Santa Cruz -- and Nancy got to see the redwoods up close.

Unlike most of the country, it is very mild and pleasant here – kind of like Spring – in the 60s during the day, but cold in the morning and at night. Nancy has remarked that she often sees people in cafes during the day wearing shorts and sandals, and tee-shirts – things she didn't see in the midst of winter in New York! Haha. We only need a light jacket most of the time. Last weekend, we went up West Cliff Drive and walked a bit along the coastal cliffs watching the surfers in the water! Seriously! It was a gorgeous day and lots of people were on the beach and flying kites! We both listen in awe to the horrible weather most people are getting – they never seem to mention California…..

And that's the fill-in for now. I guess I am our spokesperson. Nancy is having more work done on her home, and has been busy with that. Although she is retired, I know she finds that settling in and getting everything done still takes up a lot of time.

Gee, sorry we can't join you in the cold and snow….just kidding! MN2CO, come on over and melt those icicles!!

Talk to you later, folks.
Wisteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement