U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times

Advertisements

Triciajeanne,

I've been awaiting a report on the upshot of your recent trip! What transpired, what did you find out? Any areas of interest and are you thinking of moving soon? I'm esp interested in what you found in NC and Va.

~~NewEnglGirl

Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Actually you can get around Knoxville without a car quite easily if you pick the right place to live. Downtown is very easy, with good bus service and free trolleys. The Broadway corridor/Fountain City is very easy to get around and has good bus service. Bearden is also very busable. Sequoyah Hills is another good area for non-car living. That area is also very bikeable, if that appeals. DM me if you want more info.
I don't post on the Knoxville forum much anymore, sorry I didn't set them straight on this.
Wow! Thanks Knoxgarden, I missed notification of posts in my email when my hard drive crashed on New Year's day. This is good news. Since I had discounted Knoxville, I made plans to go visit friends in Cleveland instead and will check that out. But I will be looking into Knoxville maybe later on in the year or next year.

I will be sure to DM you with all my questions. One thing I did was download a really nice 40 page booklet all about Knoxville. It is really well done.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Wow! Thanks Knoxgarden, I missed notification of posts in my email when my hard drive crashed on New Year's day. This is good news. Since I had discounted Knoxville, I made plans to go visit friends in Cleveland instead and will check that out. But I will be looking into Knoxville maybe later on in the year or next year.

I will be sure to DM you with all my questions. One thing I did was download a really nice 40 page booklet all about Knoxville. It is really well done.
Minervah, where did you find the booklet on Knoxville?
I've narrowed down my places to five and this is one...

Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Minervah, where did you find the booklet on Knoxville?
I've narrowed down my places to five and this is one...
I found it on www.Knoxville.org

It's a lot of pages and in color so be sure you have plenty of ink in your printer.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I found it on www.Knoxville.org

It's a lot of pages and in color so be sure you have plenty of ink in your printer.
Thanks!! Good winter reading. I'll read it online.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM

895 posts, read 1,332,005 times
Default not much of an explorer my last time out :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Triciajeanne,

I've been awaiting a report on the upshot of your recent trip! What transpired, what did you find out? Any areas of interest and are you thinking of moving soon? I'm esp interested in what you found in NC and Va.

~~NewEnglGirl
Sorry, New Eng - i somehow missed this! I wimped out on my exploring - too too cold and icy. I delayed traveling up until the eve of Christmas Eve and then headed back south just after new year's. this was one heck of a winter this year/wasn't a whole lot warmer back here but it was warmer. did do a little searching in richmond but may have been "a sign"- my car's electrical went crazy as i sat in front of a place in the Fan district, jotting down notes. I sat there in a sleety drizzle, wondering how I was going to get my freezing little body back to the west end. fortunately, the car recovered after several false starts and i high-tailed it back to my daughter's. Then my lap top crashed - spent New Year's day at staples trying to salvage my hard drive. Sigh - it does seem that traveling always involves something breaking down......that's the second lap top i've had to buy on the road...............
so, as to research, i'm back to doing most of it virtually. delightfully, today it was 70 degrees here in coastal carolina so i'm getting my adventuresome spirit back in gear. following closely all the comments on knoxville - i am definitely going to visit there this spring and hopefully spend a bit of time there getting a feel for the city and surrounding area. Hmmmm, might actually be able to get an rci time share up in servierville or something like that if i can coax my childrens' father into giving me a week - maybe i'll have them ask him to give them a week - better idea .....
so, as i uncover whatever i can uncover, I will share it. I did mosey down last weekend to the myrtle beach area/little town I think called clayton - i need to coublecheck the name - it was charming - weather still too cold for my liking on that particular day - but my thoughts upon going that way were I just dont' see myself in coastal nc or sc. i know some of it is the time of year but it's just too stark to me/i feel totally out in the middle of nowhere here (which I am) and even when I go to the city (wilmington), this still does not "feel" right. Some places just do not feel like home - for the people who grew up here, this is definitely home but for me, gee, i am not where i need to be.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 AM

205 posts, read 360,055 times
Default Thawing Out!

Well, FL is finally thawing out - literally. Plants in my yard are gone - but think I can save the hibiscus tree. Will wait and see. Went to Blue Springs State Park a week ago and there were 311 manatee. Record count! For those of you not familiar manatees (sea cows) are aquatic mammals who come into the springs during the winter time. The water there is a constant 72 deg year round. We have also had iguanas falling out of trees - literally. They are very sensitive to cold and when it gets too cold they go into a hibernation state, can't hang on to tree branches and fall right out. Since they are about 4 ft. long, don't think I'd want to be hit by one. Warm this weekend but very windy. Went to the Central FL Scottish Highland games yesterday and the very large beer tent collapsed and was in danger of blowing right into the band stage. Since it was so warm the gators were out and saw a couple of really big ones (at least 6 ft. long) sunning themselves on the river bank. This is Florida!
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-_dsc2580.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-p1000085.jpg  

Old 01-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
Sorry, New Eng - i somehow missed this! I wimped out on my exploring - too too cold and icy. I delayed traveling up until the eve of Christmas Eve and then headed back south just after new year's. this was one heck of a winter this year/wasn't a whole lot warmer back here but it was warmer. did do a little searching in richmond but may have been "a sign"- my car's electrical went crazy as i sat in front of a place in the Fan district, jotting down notes. I sat there in a sleety drizzle, wondering how I was going to get my freezing little body back to the west end. fortunately, the car recovered after several false starts and i high-tailed it back to my daughter's. Then my lap top crashed - spent New Year's day at staples trying to salvage my hard drive. Sigh - it does seem that traveling always involves something breaking down......that's the second lap top i've had to buy on the road...............
so, as to research, i'm back to doing most of it virtually. delightfully, today it was 70 degrees here in coastal carolina so i'm getting my adventuresome spirit back in gear. following closely all the comments on knoxville - i am definitely going to visit there this spring and hopefully spend a bit of time there getting a feel for the city and surrounding area. Hmmmm, might actually be able to get an rci time share up in servierville or something like that if i can coax my childrens' father into giving me a week - maybe i'll have them ask him to give them a week - better idea .....
so, as i uncover whatever i can uncover, I will share it. I did mosey down last weekend to the myrtle beach area/little town I think called clayton - i need to coublecheck the name - it was charming - weather still too cold for my liking on that particular day - but my thoughts upon going that way were I just dont' see myself in coastal nc or sc. i know some of it is the time of year but it's just too stark to me/i feel totally out in the middle of nowhere here (which I am) and even when I go to the city (wilmington), this still does not "feel" right. Some places just do not feel like home - for the people who grew up here, this is definitely home but for me, gee, i am not where i need to be.
That's quite a journey. I've heard that Richmond is very high in crime (have a friend who has a military son who lives there), so when I checked out Va. I didn't even consider it. I explored a lot around Harrisonburg (fell in love with JMU campus) and Staunton both which put me 8 hour drive to where I am now....but honestly, the difference in costs and in climate are not enough for me to uproot myself and go there. Like you, starkness gets to me and winters, while they have some beautiful aspects, are getting harder and harder to deal with. It seems like to escape this you have to go into the humid-summer south or to Southwest US. Both present problems for me. I do think that it's easier to get in the exploration mood when the temp is above 60. Today we had more snow but not nearly as much this winter as usual. The thing about cold winters is that unless you';re into joining a gym or working out on equipment at home, it's hard to get daily exercise. I keep dreaming about a place that doesn't go below 45 degrees in the winter, ever, so that a good daily walk is a pleasure....

Interesting that you find that NC and SC coasts not your place--so many, many retirees are headed there. What kind of place to you envision?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
Well, FL is finally thawing out - literally. Plants in my yard are gone - but think I can save the hibiscus tree. Will wait and see. Went to Blue Springs State Park a week ago and there were 311 manatee. Record count! For those of you not familiar manatees (sea cows) are aquatic mammals who come into the springs during the winter time. The water there is a constant 72 deg year round. We have also had iguanas falling out of trees - literally. They are very sensitive to cold and when it gets too cold they go into a hibernation state, can't hang on to tree branches and fall right out. Since they are about 4 ft. long, don't think I'd want to be hit by one. Warm this weekend but very windy. Went to the Central FL Scottish Highland games yesterday and the very large beer tent collapsed and was in danger of blowing right into the band stage. Since it was so warm the gators were out and saw a couple of really big ones (at least 6 ft. long) sunning themselves on the river bank. This is Florida!
Nice photos! What part of Fla are you in?

Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM

205 posts, read 360,055 times
NEG; I'm in central Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement