U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 02:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
NEG; I'm in central Florida.
Sounds like a wonderful place to be. Do you stay there in the hot summer? Are you still looking to relocate or have you found your dream place?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 AM

205 posts, read 359,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sounds like a wonderful place to be. Do you stay there in the hot summer? Are you still looking to relocate or have you found your dream place?
NEG: I have lived here for going on 24 years now. Very hard to believe I've been here this long. This is not my dream place but it is where I live so I guess it's home. Last year while looking/searching for my "dream place," I ended up buying my first home in over 20 years. Just right place/time/price, etc. I love my new townhouse so I am happy with that. I know I have to stay here at least three years (for the $$$$ incentive for first-time home buyers) but after that who knows.

Florida is a multi-faceted state. In the Panhandle we have wonderful white sand beaches and fabulous oysters; the gulf coast is better than the east/Atlantic coast (in my opinion), there are wonderful places to kayak, cute little towns (if you go out of your way to find them), draping Spanish moss, and then there's the Keys - very laid back. And, no, I do NOT do the theme parks!!!

The hot summers here are really not that much hotter than many other places. They just last longer. And, except for the two weeks of really cold (for us) of below freezing at nights, not much warmer day we recently had, we have mild winters so it is a trade off. Would love to be a reverse snowbird! Guess I still need to find out where my "dream place" is!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 14,849 times
Smile Record number of manatee dying from cold

Quote:
Well, FL is finally thawing out - literally. Plants in my yard are gone - but think I can save the hibiscus tree. Will wait and see. Went to Blue Springs State Park a week ago and there were 311 manatee. Record count! For those of you not familiar manatees (sea cows) are aquatic mammals who come into the springs during the winter time. The water there is a constant 72 deg year round. We have also had iguanas falling out of trees - literally. They are very sensitive to cold and when it gets too cold they go into a hibernation state, can't hang on to tree branches and fall right out. Since they are about 4 ft. long, don't think I'd want to be hit by one. Warm this weekend but very windy. Went to the Central FL Scottish Highland games yesterday and the very large beer tent collapsed and was in danger of blowing right into the band stage. Since it was so warm the gators were out and saw a couple of really big ones (at least 6 ft. long) sunning themselves on the river bank. This is Florida!
I saw an article today about the record number of manatee dying from the cold in Florida and also spoke with a friend near Tampa. I hope to get to Florida yet the end of February and hope the weather has warmed up there. I've never been to Blue Springs park but love to see manatees so maybe I'll go. Hope the population picks up. Thanks for the pics. The temp in Fla is still better than Wisonsin this time of year.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Quote:
NEG: I have lived here for going on 24 years now. Very hard to believe I've been here this long. This is not my dream place but it is where I live so I guess it's home. Last year while looking/searching for my "dream place," I ended up buying my first home in over 20 years. Just right place/time/price, etc. I love my new townhouse so I am happy with that. I know I have to stay here at least three years (for the $$$$ incentive for first-time home buyers) but after that who knows.

Florida is a multi-faceted state. In the Panhandle we have wonderful white sand beaches and fabulous oysters; the gulf coast is better than the east/Atlantic coast (in my opinion), there are wonderful places to kayak, cute little towns (if you go out of your way to find them), draping Spanish moss, and then there's the Keys - very laid back. And, no, I do NOT do the theme parks!!!

The hot summers here are really not that much hotter than many other places. They just last longer. And, except for the two weeks of really cold (for us) of below freezing at nights, not much warmer day we recently had, we have mild winters so it is a trade off. Would love to be a reverse snowbird! Guess I still need to find out where my "dream place" is!
Well no place is perfect. A score of 7 out of 10 sounds pretty good to me. I'm glad you were able to find just the right townhojse to buy! And your weather sounds ideal. I've never been to Fla but it sounds kinda nice!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,917,359 times
Hi all, checking in after a month in FL at my Mom's. She's in Bradenton, which is on the Gulf coast below Tampa. I think it's beautiful there. The beaches are gorgeous....white sand, trees nearby for shade, sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of retirees, lots of activities. Unfortunately, it was REALLY cold (unseasonably) for most of the time I was there, but that was an anomaly. Depending on my financial situation, I could end up there, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I do hate the humidity, but then again the cold up North is starting to get to me. I ran into a couple who are mulling over a move to FL, so it was interesting to get their perspective on the various towns in that area. There are definitely pro's and con's to FL, but I do love that Bradenton area because of its proximity to the Gulf.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 AM

15,184 posts, read 31,120,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hi all, checking in after a month in FL at my Mom's. She's in Bradenton, which is on the Gulf coast below Tampa. I think it's beautiful there. The beaches are gorgeous....white sand, trees nearby for shade, sunsets over the Gulf of Mexico. Lots of retirees, lots of activities. Unfortunately, it was REALLY cold (unseasonably) for most of the time I was there, but that was an anomaly. Depending on my financial situation, I could end up there, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I do hate the humidity, but then again the cold up North is starting to get to me. I ran into a couple who are mulling over a move to FL, so it was interesting to get their perspective on the various towns in that area. There are definitely pro's and con's to FL, but I do love that Bradenton area because of its proximity to the Gulf.
I am a Florida native, and currently live in the Bradenton/Sarasota area. It is a great place to be. Although I am married, I am "retired", and I have visited many places which I have really liked, but for me, there is no place better than this. The Gulf beaches here are spectacular, I love the smell of the salt air and wet sand, and the tropical foliage. Summers here are not that bad at all (IMO) - yes, it is humid, and we can get some heat waves, but it is cooler than most of the rest of the south in the summer due to the breezes and moderating temps of the water. Also, for such small cities, this region has almost every amenity a person could want, along with some killer deals on real estate right now. Other than homeowner's insurance, which is very high in Florida, I feel that most cost of living is low or at least very reasonable compared to other areas of the country. We though about retiring to Asheville, NC, and even bought a second home there where we took vacations. While it is a very beautiful town, and the mountains are lovely and have a sweet "herbal" smell, the novelty wore off after about 3 years, and we knew it would never feel like "home," and sold that place. We also considered areas of the Central Coast of California a few years ago, but whoa - it's soooooooo expensive there. Where we live now, to me is like "bargain California", only better, because there is actually more stuff here - shopping, amenities, etc., not to mention beaches 100 times better than where we were considering.

I know I sound like I work for the Chamber of Commerce or something, LOL, and have been accused of it here on this forum, but I am just a happy, positive person who is thrilled with where she lives and wanted to share. I wish all of you luck in finding your own special place!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 PM

LOL on the Chamber of Commerce comment, Gypsy! I have seen a few other areas of FL, but the Bradenton/Sarasota area would be my preference. I know everyone who moves to The Villages loves it, but it's too far from the ocean/Gulf for me. I just love the peace and tranquility of the Gulf beaches on Anna Maria Island. And yes, there are some great real estate deals these days! My concern, other than the humidity, is the crime...I'm always on my guard down there because the druggies and scammers are always finding ways to rip off people, especially the elderly. Way too many examples of this from people I know, not just hearing the news. My Mom lives in a nice (ungated) over-55, and her neighbor was robbed of her purse by a mother/son team who followed her home from the bank....scary.

That, however, is sometimes the risk of living in warm-weather paradises!

My preference would be to move back to Southern Calif., where I lived 10 years ago, but it is expensive and we all know how crazy things are (budget- and weather-wise) out there these days. For now, my current location on the Main Line outside Philly is absolutely the best place I've ever lived....except that the temperature is in the teens right now, LOL!

Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
What's the Main Line outside Philly and what makes it the best place you've ever lived...more details please!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 PM

Ooh, thanks for asking, Autumn! The "Main Line" is a series of affluent towns outside Philly, so named because they were on the Main Line of the PA Railroad in the 19th century. Lots of beautiful historic homes, charming towns, gorgeous trees and parks, prestigious colleges, old money. I've lived in the Philly suburbs most of my life, but never on the Main Line. When I moved back to the Philly area from NJ a year ago, I wanted a location that was, number 1, convenient -- close to the city and major highways. The town I chose is central to everything. But secondly, I wanted to be in an upscale area with genteel people and low crime. Keep in mind, I had just come from a resort town at the "Jersey shore" with drunken fighting tourists, gangs, and small-minded people with not much class. I wanted the polar opposite of that. You know how they say buy the smallest house in the best area, rather than a larger house in a not-so-great area? Well, I figured I couldn't go wrong with the Main Line.

I couldn't afford to "buy" anything here, nor was I looking to buy -- my financial and personal situation has made it more sensible to rent at this point. So, I found an apartment in an older complex where the rent was not exorbitant, there's a big pool, most of the residents are elderly (ergo, quiet), and pets are allowed. Perfect! I have a beautiful view of the treetops and sunsets from my windows. The apartments are really sound-proof. No "pests", if you get my drift....I had been afraid of that in a high-rise. The area is just beautiful and I've met such nice people.

So overall, I can't find a darn thing to complain about -- I love it here! Yes, we do have winter, but I think the benefits of living in the Philly area outweigh the few months of cold weather. Sorry to go on and on, and hopefully I don't sound like a snob, but my "Jersey shore" experience really burned me and I was really trying to guarantee I wouldn't re-live that one! :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
This sounds perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement