U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-07-2010, 06:18 AM
 
70 posts, read 252,513 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Hello to everyone and welcome Passion for Animals. I'd love to hear more about your experiences in southern Utah with Best Friends and the area. I too am leaving them money in my will as well as other organizations that take care of our animal friends. Good to see activity picking up here. Been watching the site as I hibernated this winter. Animals and I have revived with slightly warmer temps and sun and I'm invigorated to start on our long "to do" list. I swear I have spent more times mumbling to myself that I will not spend another winter here. I do that every winter but now it's kinda getting loud, lol. I am going to visit Blue Ridge, GA next month for a look see. I've sort of given up on the PNW dream as prices and taxes just don't get it for me. The dampness will be more of an issue as I get older (sigh). I have often considered the desert but haven't had enough experiences there. I learn so much from all you gals - you rock!

 
Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
I've sort of given up on the PNW dream as prices and taxes just don't get it for me. The dampness will be more of an issue as I get older (sigh).
I have begun my oddessy in my quest to move away from the PNW. The reasons you give are mine as well. Besides it being so expensive to live here, I have found in the past couple of years the dampness make my bones and my dipostition ache. As soon as it begins to dry out I feel lots better. The problem is that it is so damp so much of the time. I am not a sun person but I welcome it when I see it because I know my old bones are going to feel better.

There are a lot of nice things here but none of them are worth the expense and aches to me. Good luck in your search for a new home.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Alaska
384 posts, read 877,393 times
Reputation: 186
Spring's gone ... winter finally arrived...brrrr.

I want three lives ... one to live here, one to live near my daughter, and one to live someplace warm.
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM
 
70 posts, read 252,513 times
Reputation: 101
Good luck to you as well Minervah. Where will you be searching?
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have begun my oddessy in my quest to move away from the PNW. The reasons you give are mine as well. Besides it being so expensive to live here, I have found in the past couple of years the dampness make my bones and my dipostition ache. As soon as it begins to dry out I feel lots better. The problem is that it is so damp so much of the time. I am not a sun person but I welcome it when I see it because I know my old bones are going to feel better.

There are a lot of nice things here but none of them are worth the expense and aches to me. Good luck in your search for a new home.
Minervah, I would have thought the PNW a good place to retire, but sounds like good reasons to relocate. Where are you looking? do you ahve any special criteria for your particular circumstances?
 
Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Minervah, I would have thought the PNW a good place to retire, but sounds like good reasons to relocate. Where are you looking? do you ahve any special criteria for your particular circumstances?
A big reason for my wanting to move is that is it soooo expensive to live here. I just can't afford it. Last year I checked out Minneapolis and liked it but it may be a bit costly too. I want to check out Denver and the surrounding areas because the dry weather appeals to me. I am originally from Chicago so I know all about winter weather but I never minded it. I am going to be visiting a friend in Cleveland this summer and she told me she is going to convince me to move there. Who knows? It's possible. I am partial to city living.

I am just looking for a city that has the opportunity for part time jobs, good theater, symphonies, museums and entertainment of that type. I don't drive so a good public transportation system is important. I would also like to live in a place there are more folks around my age. Portland is a young person's town.

There are nice places in Oregon that has places for retirees. But they are pretty expensive, at least for my wallet. I liked the Pacific NW when I was younger but in order to meet my needs as a Senior, I think I just have to move on. Wherever it is, I promised my bones it would be a dryer place.
 
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A big reason for my wanting to move is that is it soooo expensive to live here. I just can't afford it. Last year I checked out Minneapolis and liked it but it may be a bit costly too. I want to check out Denver and the surrounding areas because the dry weather appeals to me. I am originally from Chicago so I know all about winter weather but I never minded it. I am going to be visiting a friend in Cleveland this summer and she told me she is going to convince me to move there. Who knows? It's possible. I am partial to city living.

I am just looking for a city that has the opportunity for part time jobs, good theater, symphonies, museums and entertainment of that type. I don't drive so a good public transportation system is important. I would also like to live in a place there are more folks around my age. Portland is a young person's town.

There are nice places in Oregon that has places for retirees. But they are pretty expensive, at least for my wallet. I liked the Pacific NW when I was younger but in order to meet my needs as a Senior, I think I just have to move on. Wherever it is, I promised my bones it would be a dryer place.
I am hearing some positive things about Cleveland. I can't tell you how much I admire you for getting along without a car, next to housing costs it is the next biggest expense when you factor in repairs and buying another one when your old one dies. Plus YOU ahve a much higher chance of not dying by not incurring car accidents. You should writer a booklet for seniors about getting by without a car.
 
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM
 
4,572 posts, read 7,057,201 times
Reputation: 4222
just curious...what positive things have you heard about Cleveland (otherwise known as "The Mistake by the Lake" )
 
Old 03-11-2010, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN, USA
6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Reputation: 16283
I'd like to hear this too~~~
 
Old 03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,404 posts, read 5,922,685 times
Reputation: 7121
I'm only 60 but couldn't imagine using public transportation totally. The walking, the stairs, the climbing up to a bus platform, the standing on my feet waiting....all problems for me these days....I would think it would be a problem for the elderly too. Congrats to anyone who can do it though! (Plus I'm too much of a car person....I'm like a guy with cars, LOL!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top