U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 02:49 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times

Advertisements

TESAJE

How about an update from you on your retirement and what you've been up to? It sounds like many are looking at CO - since you are from there, any chance you may consider retiring there? Think how much fun we'd have harrassing livecontent We could hire him to cook for us

I seem to remember you were looking at PNW - is that still in your plans?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I intentionally chose Ft. Collins BECAUSE it is a college town. I want to live in a place that has a sizable university and all that goes along with it - lectures, stimulating cultural activities, a more educated population, etc. etc. Boulder was my first choice but I can't afford to live there.

Different strokes for different folks!
Yea, I really can understand that point of view. College towns do offer many activities that you do not find in many other areas. More educated to an extent but sometimes there is more ego than knowledge.

I do go to Boulder for all that it offers, as I live very close. But, it is sort of like Las Vegas and Disney Land--at the end of my stay, I just want to leave and get some peace and quiet. Boulder is too rich of an experience to eat the whole cake, everyday.

What I do like about Boulder and many College town is the commitment to public transit. The city of Boulder subsidizes the Transportation District. It is very easy to live in Boulder without owning a car. Yes, it is expensive but not having a car expense can balance the costs.

I really enjoy Ft. Collins because to me it is more indicative of a Western Town on the Plains. It is much less hectic and dense with less traffic than Boulder.

Livecontent

Old 03-21-2010, 04:32 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Livecontent -

Would you know - what would be an economical town in the hills or at the base of the Rockies?

Is there such a thing?

Public transit is not important. Pine trees are. Not a ski resort (ghods forbid!), but a nice quiet village tucked away in a corner somewhere?

If you could suggest a few place names, I'd be very grateful! I'm currently looking in the White Mountains and Rim Country of Arizona, but all this talk of Colorado has me wondering ...
The farther you get into the mountains, you will run into two types of towns--very expensive and some that are dumpy and still expensive for basic necessities. There are no idyllic, pastoral towns the mountains that are economical. Ah, but you will have the Pine Trees.

Towns and Cities that sit on the base of the Rockies--well, you still have the same issue if you go far enough into the foothills. For example, Evergreen is nice but expensive. Nederland to me is dumpy and again expensive.

So, the trick is to stay right on the edge of Mountains and Plains and hope that it is nice, treed and not too expensive. Golden is interesting and there are areas on the edge that are very treed. You can go close to Evergreen and try Morrison--that I think is a nice little village. You may like Idledale and Kittredge up on Bear Creek Canyon.

There is one little place that is not as well know to outsiders but is very close to Boulder, just south on Hwy. 93 and that is Eldorado Springs. It is a nice little area with a State Park at the End. The Canyon is very popular with Mountain Climbers. At one time it was a popular destination as a little resort close to Denver. The only problem is the Sun goes down quickly in the shadow of the Canyon.

Colorado State Park

What is good about Eldorado Springs is that you are close enough to everything in the Metro area and Boulder. Is it inexpensive place to live???

Livecontent

Old 03-21-2010, 05:13 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,223,984 times
Thank you thank you thank you!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
TESAJE

How about an update from you on your retirement and what you've been up to? It sounds like many are looking at CO - since you are from there, any chance you may consider retiring there? Think how much fun we'd have harrassing livecontent We could hire him to cook for us

I seem to remember you were looking at PNW - is that still in your plans?
After 2 1/2 months of it, I'm getting used to it. And I rather like it. I have joined the C&O Canal Bike Patrol and just graduated to full patroller (I completed my training). I like the other people I've met and it is a good incentive to do a little good in the world while having a lot of fun and getting exercise. I'm pretty excited about it. Other than that, it's time to get the garden beds cleaned out and ready for spring. So nice to be able to go out on any nice day instead of hoping that a nice day will fall on a weekend. I've done some cleaning out and getting ready to paint a room.

My problem with Colorado is that it is the one place I'm the most allergic to in the summer. I guess I developed an allergy when I was 13 before I moved from there. I can always visit and do regularly. I like my relatives and have quite a few in CO.

I agree with Livecontent's towns. I was trying to think of some but as he ticked them off, I agree with his assessment of those towns. One other consideration for Colorado towns in the trees - they are mostly in the foothills or mountains and the fire risk is higher. Out farther is also the Kiowa - Black Forest area on the Palmer Ridge. It has lots of trees and is located on the SE side of Denver down to Colorado Springs. That area gets more thunderstorms/hail/snow than a lot of other areas but is a little lower fire risk than the foothills-mountains. It can be more "country living" than city, tho. It seems to me that the Denver area real estate didn't take as much of a dive as most other places so affordable is a questionable thing. There are a lot of small houses in Denver and suburbs that aren't terribly expensive. And by small, I mean 600 - 1000 sq ft.

Yes, I'm still considering the PNW but I won't make any firm decisions until I'm closer to being able to move (not before 2011). I might also do a van conversion and wander a bit before I decide where to hang my hat permanently. I really need to get my house in tip top shape this year.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,387,939 times
I always like hearing your opinions so: Do you think 2011 would be a better time to sell a house? I've been hearing this a lot lately - that it will be a better time to sell & to buy. Thoughts?

What exactly does your patrol do?

Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,047,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I always like hearing your opinions so: Do you think 2011 would be a better time to sell a house? I've been hearing this a lot lately - that it will be a better time to sell & to buy. Thoughts?

What exactly does your patrol do?
I have a lot of work to do on my house so I had always planned on spending all this year to do it. I don't know whether 2011 will be a better time to sell or not. My plan is to try when I'm personally ready and buy only as much house in my new location as this house will fetch me. If it doesn't work, take it off the market for a couple months then try again. Its not like I have to sell.

The bike patrol gig is bike/walk/or whatever on the towpath and be eyes & ears for the rangers. We do minor 1st aid, minor bike repair, answer what questions we can and I can call the dispatcher to get answers, report any emergencies or problems to the rangers. We do no enforcement. And I get complete freedom for how much time and when I do it. Seems perfect.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,223,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I agree with Livecontent's towns. I was trying to think of some but as he ticked them off, I agree with his assessment of those towns. One other consideration for Colorado towns in the trees - they are mostly in the foothills or mountains and the fire risk is higher. Out farther is also the Kiowa - Black Forest area on the Palmer Ridge. It has lots of trees and is located on the SE side of Denver down to Colorado Springs. That area gets more thunderstorms/hail/snow than a lot of other areas but is a little lower fire risk than the foothills-mountains. It can be more "country living" than city, tho. It seems to me that the Denver area real estate didn't take as much of a dive as most other places so affordable is a questionable thing. There are a lot of small houses in Denver and suburbs that aren't terribly expensive. And by small, I mean 600 - 1000 sq ft.
Thank you!

1000 sf is what I've been looking at - as long as they're set up right, that's puh-lenty of room.

And I'm familiar with fire risk - my cabin (750 sf and a loft) was in the San Bernardino Mountains. But the front door was 43 steps up, and to take the trash out it was 43 steps down ...

I just do not want to have my last home in a place where it's 100 degrees 8 months out of the year.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,964,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I just do not want to have my last home in a place where it's 100 degrees 8 months out of the year.
Or 12 degrees for six months out of the year

Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
Maybe we need a resource of current and ex-Coloradans. I can think of about 5 of us off the top of my head, probably 100's 'lurking'

While I lived there for my first 28 yrs...(Masonville, Estes, Ft Collins, Loveland) I do miss it and am there at least 1-3x / yr. My dad had a rural sales region that covered CO, WY, NE, KS and I did rural delivery to same area during college. I spent many weekends and vacations 'on-the-road' in CO. Fun memories.

There are still some decent places, and now some decent prices too. (btw, I suggest NOT using realtors; find an area you like then DIG up the sellers). CO has a pretty fair tax base and diversified economy with intelligent and resourceful people (motivated to stay there). The Front Range is a bit too crowded for me. My favorite spot is 'state-line' on Hwy 287 between Ft Collins and Laramie. (I would have to live on the WY side, as I am a bit accustomed to not having to file a state income tax) + I really like WY much better than CO. (Sheridan and Powell are nice community college towns, Laramie is only choice for university town, nice and WINDY)

In Colorado I still would consider Buena Vista, Alamosa, Salida (too bad Gunnison is the ICE BOX of CO, it is nice).

For the idea of cottages in proximity to culture, look closely at Lyons. There are some co-housing places there (MUCH too expensive), but you could do your own for far under $200k per unit if creative.

For east side of Rockies I would still chose Loveland, (laid back, walkable, EZ access to Ft Collins and WYO) or Berthoud if I didn't mind driving for activities (lap swimming) and culture. Plenty of places under $200k in these areas. (I would buy a duplex or 4-plex)

Good luck... I'm stuck in PNW for the moment (but the view is spectacular, and our 100 days of dryness coming in only 3.5 months ). With thoughts of climate change, the we_t side in PNW may become 'haven'. Colorado has some serious water issues, as do most places. I could collect my 100+ in of rain/yr and do fine. but My 300 ft 25 gal / minute well has identical static level of 90' as it did in 1972. I may experiment with adding 'annualized' solar this summer. (heating ground under house during summer for winter benefit.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement