U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 6,018,119 times

Advertisements

You know I'm trying to keep my girlish figure 'girlish' , so better YOU than ME eating Mariannes' Ice Cream !!!

p.s.
As a proud sponsor of Marianne's Ice Cream, all residuals for my sponsorship should be sent to :

This side of Heaven
PO Box 777
HDL City, CC 88888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
A peanut butter ice cream cone is on our agenda for this weekend! Yep, I'll be eating peanut butter ice cream at Marianne's and thinking of YOU, HDL!!

Really, that's the plan -- after I pick my daughter up from work at the Boardwalk, onto Marianne's for a treat of ice cream. I'm already trying to think of the second flavor I want -- I know one must be peanut butter, but I'm also thinking that maybe a chocolate marshmallow might go well -- sort of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup feel to it! Mmmmmmm, Marianne's ice cream! I bet you'll get the vibe when we are there! You know I'd send some to you....but it would just melt....

But I'll be thinking of you! Here's to you, HDL!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 6,018,119 times
Thumbs up Loved your post Tesaje!!!

Wonderfully written and very insightful (imho) !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I've moved around since I was little too. Each move forced me to adapt, but no, I don't and never did have roots in a place of the kind that people who grew up in one place have. When asked where I'm from, the most real answer is the West since no one place is where. But weirdly, here in MD is where I have lived the longest. 17 years in one house and now my garden soil is fluffy and black and grows veggies effortlessly (especially compared to the red clay I could make pots out of that I started with). But the only reason I am here is the job so I see no reason to stay after I retire.

That Central CA summer heat and drought is why I want to live in retirement in a place with pleasant summers that I can look forward to instead of dreading. That is my driving desire when I am free to choose again. It is possible that I may not like the new place all that much, but I will be free to pick up and move again if that is the case.

When young, I used to feel out of step and alone because I was usually the only kid with experience living in other places. Now, I can't really relate very well to people who only have experience of one place. Whenever someone complains about a feature of the place or the people in it, I invariably think that it isn't unusual at all because I know from personal experience that other places have the same drawbacks. I also know from experience that all places have their good points and bad points (in my opinion, of course).

I will never forget the trepidation I felt when first moving to the east coast. There was a general attitude in the west about how the east coast was nearly uniform city and people were rude and unfriendly. What I found, of course, was that people were just as friendly and unfriendly as they were in CA and there is a lot of open space and farmland. People in this country are more alike than they are different, despite our desires to be unique in one area or another. There are regional differences, but there is also a lot of similarity. It seems to me that there are more differences between people who live in cites compared to rural areas than between the different states.

After my divorce in my mid 30s, I decided it was foolish to wait until I got settled to live and do things I wanted. So I did a bit of self-examination about what I liked and didn't and how I wanted to structure my life. I bought a little place with a bit of land because I wanted to be able to grow anything I wanted and not be limited by space. I also wanted to be able to see the horizon and have good sun exposure. Along the way, I learned how to do all sorts of house repair and remodeling, yard work, tractor fixing, etc. Each task, each problem, has given me confidence that I can do almost anything I set my mind to. I look back to what I thought I could do at age 20 and now at age 53 what I know I can do and the gap is huge. It is a wonderful feeling to know I can do just about anything I want to.

I approach my life and choices as a journey. Destinations are stopping points along the way. If you stop looking ahead, then you stop living. There is always something more to learn, whether it be a place or a skill or an idea. When I die, I hope to leave a number of things not yet done but planned for, but also a ton of things already learned and experienced. It's the journey, not the destination that I seek.

This is a fun thread. While I don't think I'm suited for the living situation discussed, it has been fun finding other independent women and how they have chosen to live.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:25 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,917 times
Tesaje, your post #299 was wonderful. I can't disagree with anything you've written. We do seem to have similar experiences and outlook on things. And a very smart move it was, to not wait until you were settled, to do the things you really wanted to do. It took me a while to get to that mindset, but I'm here now!

This thread is wonderful, and it is a joy to read about everyone's life experiences.

But you folks really must control yourselves with the talk about peanut butter ice cream! Now, I am forced to head to the store - it even tastes perfect using soy or rice cream, instead of milk cream...

Old 05-17-2008, 02:28 AM

14 posts, read 28,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
First of all, "Congratulations!" to DancingEarth! Wow, a house of your own!! And in Santa Fe -- that is wonderful!! Good job!!

City-Kitty, I am in Felton, about 6 miles above Santa Cruz. We didn't have any spraying up here -- we are above Santa Cruz, and we are in the redwoods, so we don't have that problem. I, personally, don't know of anyone who became ill from the spraying....

I live in the Lompico area of Felton (Lompico, California - About Lompico). It's hot up here (supposed to be up to 100 today), but I don't mind it. It's that low humidity, nice and warm, the trees give a lot of shade, and I'm pleased with it. I'd rather have it warm than cold. Plus, I have a portable swamp cooler in my house, so that keeps things cooler and nicer. I couldn't live in San Francisco with all that fog and mist. And, if I want it cooler, I can just go down to the beach, which is only 20 minutes away...best of both worlds. In fact, my daughter works part-time at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, so I do drive her to work on weekends and then I get to hang at the wharf or the beach, if I want.

I'm from Buffalo, New York, originally, spent lots of time in the city (NYC -- my best friend lives in Brooklyn), and I have lived in Phoenix; San Francisco and Orinda; Seattle; Boulder, Colorado, and now Felton/Santa Cruz. I like New England, too, however, I think I have adjusted to the slower pace here, and I do like the sun. Each time I go back east, I realize just how much I have changed -- it's interesting to observe. I'm considering New Mexico because of the warmth, sun, low humidity, and beautiful scenery. It's cooler than Phoenix, but still nice and warm.

I think I will be hanging in here for two more years. My daughter starts college in the fall, and she chose to go to San Jose State to be closer to me, so she can take a bus over to visit me. I thought she would go to San Diego, but since she chose San Jose, I figured I should be here for her first two years, because her third year she will be studying abroad (she's majoring in International Business). In the meantime, I plan to visit my friends in TorC, and to re-check out New Mexico and maybe Colorado, again, although I'm more set on New Mexico. With the housing market the way it is (there are some great bargains up where I live, in case anyone is looking for a place near the ocean for cheap!), it would be better for me to stay, and to get a little more in my pension (yes, I work in a place that still has pensions! ).

So, basically, I will be exploring more in the next year or two. If something great comes up in the meantime, then I'll leave earlier, if not, I still have my place here.

Toooo funny! I'm from Brooklyn, and I live in Orinda now I'm still having a rough time deciding where to go. I just really have a hard time with extreme climates, but especially, heat and humidity! But, in the interim, it looks like CT. I do miss snow (at least the first few days of it ) So, good luck to you in whatever decision you wind up making. And thanks much for your thoughts

Old 05-17-2008, 08:19 AM

648 posts, read 2,681,852 times
on june 3rd i'm on my way to upstate ny! i'm going to tool around the upstate area and look for my future new home town. this is the first time i'm traveling alone but i think it will be fun!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:48 AM

86 posts, read 321,390 times
Default Thanks to Wisteria for starting this thread!!!

Hi Everyone. I've been hanging around CD for several months reading posts all over the country and asking a lot of dumb questions and had just about given up. Then, this morning, I accidentally found this thread. I've spent hours reading each and every post. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally, I've found the kind of thread I've been searching for all these months.

No time now, but will fill you in about me soon as I can. It has been so very interesting reading about your lives--all of you. I hope I will fit into your group. I am extremely interested in this topic and want to participate.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:26 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,238,888 times
Quote:
jdinkc: Hi Everyone. I've been hanging around CD for several months reading posts all over the country and asking a lot of dumb questions and had just about given up. Then, this morning, I accidentally found this thread. I've spent hours reading each and every post. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally, I've found the kind of thread I've been searching for all these months.

No time now, but will fill you in about me soon as I can. It has been so very interesting reading about your lives--all of you. I hope I will fit into your group. I am extremely interested in this topic and want to participate.
Welcome!! We look forward to hearing more about what you are looking for, where, and anything you'd like to offer! Yes, this is a terrific group of strong women, and we are lucky to have it!

Old 05-18-2008, 03:30 PM

433 posts, read 991,525 times
CityKitty, good luck deciding where to go. Like you, I didn't care for the heat wave we had a few days ago (I'm in San Francisco) and I worry about the water shortages and the LBAM spraying.

I feel I need to make an offer on a place soon in order to close and move before my lease expires in September, but I still haven't decided where to go. I've ruled out a lot of places, but haven't settled on any one place yet.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:08 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
I approach my life and choices as a journey. Destinations are stopping points along the way. If you stop looking ahead, then you stop living. There is always something more to learn, whether it be a place or a skill or an idea. When I die, I hope to leave a number of things not yet done but planned for, but also a ton of things already learned and experienced. It's the journey, not the destination that I seek.

Such lovely sentiments. I could not help but print them again.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,238,888 times

This is for HDL - as promised, I went and got that peanut butter ice cream cone at Marianne's Ice Cream Shop in Santa Cruz!!! See, that's me holding the cone!! I always keep my promises!! And this one sure wasn't hard to keep!! I was thinking of you, HDL -- even took the photo to prove it! Come on down and join us someday!! Yum, Yum!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.