U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
... Colorado is "great" and many people want to move there. ... California ..was the "great" place to go. ...
I believe the same fate is awaiting Colorado as too many people move here. ..., water is ... scarce, ...
was what I thought (felt) when I moved from CO in 1982, it was getting ugly then (Brown cloud every afternoon over whole northern front range). Fortunately CO still has a populous vote that is diversified enough to allow fairness in elections / issues. When that tips, CO will fall off the same abyss as CA, OR, WA - This water issue thing is really gonna be serious, more than we realize. (those of us with plenty... 120" of rain / yr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Livecontent, except for the mountain areas, you could be describing what has happened to Oregon. It is becoming over-crowded, over-priced, over-hyped and just not the place it once was before people began flocking here only to destroy what they are seeking.

My goal is to find what I need in a place not popular so I don't have to witness the changes made when people decided to turn it into something it cannot sustain and becomes the place I was trying to get away from.
So true, as OR is closer to CA. Same is happening in WA, just slightly slower. One can look at the immigrant stats and when majority is from CA, (as ours (PNW) has been for 30 yrs) things change; Schools, gov, politics, legislation, rules / taxes for employers... dark path ahead. - Its not just due to the fact folks are from CA, it has to do with 'entitlement mentality' / Gov care and expectations. Just too expensive of taste and expectations for sustainable economy. Need to keep a 'pioneer' spirit, not a 'gold rush' spirit. WY, SD, ND, UT, and probably ID will be the ones who can retain their own independence the longest. AK is another good choice for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think anyone retiring on a modest income will need a part time job. The big question is, where are the part-time jobs?...library, etc. ... schools ..
This is a good topic and an OPPORTUNITY for a business to capitalize on providing support to senior employees. We need that to be promoted from the top (Gov), but that is unlikely, considering what is 'politically correct - to get elected'.

I feel that many companies recognize the value in senior employees (dependability, experience, work ethic, customer service...). But it is gonna take a 'paradigm shift' in employer mentality to embrace the thought process of taking us on. From, "I want to be able to 'dictate' hours & tasks", to; "I would like an employee who is good for my business, and I'm willing to accommodate their PT schedules."

OK, all you "WRITERS", lets get some articles flowing to the current business media; 'Smart Business Practices for Employers: Tapping the Talent of Retirees can bring YOU Riches". And be sure to get ready to write your congress when they start raising the SS age, and ask them to give some 'incentives' for hiring / retaining older workers. I'm sure there are some stats as to how much less they would have to spend on caring for us, if we were active WORKING.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:12 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think anyone retiring on a modest income will need a part time job. The big question is, where are the part-time jobs? Used to be you could get a PT job at a library, etc. but many of these are taken by townies. Some schools have PT jobs during the school year. I'm wondering how hard or easy it actually is to find a PT anywhere after a certain age, other than W-Mart. I cannot stand on my feet long so many jobs are just plain out, for me. What kind are you looking for?
I am looking for just about anything. About the only thing I haven't done is retail. I am not good at standing for long periods of time either. One thing people have pointed out to me in my favor, companies now like to hire PT people or temps so they don't have to pay benefits. The company I work for does this; they hire temps from an agency and when their contracts are up they either let them go or transfer them to another department.

I've done office work mostly in the insurance biz although I would dearly like to get out of that. But a job's a job and I will need to supplement SS so that's probably where I will look first. I edited this for another thought. I know there is age discrimination out there but in Portland it is rampant. I never see older people hired in my company for temp, PT or the rare FT jobs. Everywhere I go I see only young people working in any kind of office job. About the only places I have been seeing older people is at the fast food restaurants.

Portland is especially a young person's town. It's good for retirees who have a lot of money becasue there are some nice Senior enclaves throughout Oregon but I can't even dream about being able to afford those.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:25 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,554,912 times
Quote:
Livecontent, except for the mountain areas, you could be describing what has happened to Oregon. It is becoming over-crowded, over-priced, over-hyped and just not the place it once was before people began flocking here only to destroy what they are seeking.

My goal is to find what I need in a place not popular so I don't have to witness the changes made when people decided to turn it into something it cannot sustain and becomes the place I was trying to get away from.
The big issue is how many years do you have left to live??? I know what I am describing for Colorado will come at the end of my life and what happens before I die, I will probably not care or notice. I am here in Colorado to stay because now it is a great place to live; I am comfortable and satisfied with the commonplace and to be relaxed in an environment I know. I have no desire to built a new relationship with a new city. Denver feels like an old shoe and I like the familiarity of place.

If I was much younger, I would probably seek a smaller town that is not or would not be one any popular list of a place to live. There are many such towns as that all over the country. However, when you are young, you are looking for job opportunity and that is many times the places where people flock because we all feed off each other. Perhaps the way to think is to not to have a desire for more, but to be satisfied with less when you are younger. Then you can live anywhere and be happy.

Livecontent

Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The big issue is how many years do you have left to live??? I know what I am describing for Colorado will come at the end of my life and what happens before I die, I will probably not care or notice. I am here in Colorado to stay because now it is a great place to live; I am comfortable and satisfied with the commonplace and to be relaxed in an environment I know. I have no desire to built a new relationship with a new city. Denver feels like an old shoe and I like the familiarity of place.

If I was much younger, I would probably seek a smaller town that is not or would not be one any popular list of a place to live. There are many such towns as that all over the country. However, when you are young, you are looking for job opportunity and that is many times the places where people flock because we all feed off each other. Perhaps the way to think is to not to have a desire for more, but to be satisfied with less when you are younger. Then you can live anywhere and be happy.

Livecontent
I'm 64 now and don't know how much longer I have. The changes I mentioned have been and continue to take place in Oregon. I have cut down drastically on my expenses and that has enabled me to save enough to travel to different cities to scope them out. I live more frugually than ever out of necessity but I don't miss anything I gave up. That isn't an issue with me.

Portland was good for me for many years but no longer. If I were a younger person living elsewhere I still wouldn't make the choice to live here. I don't feel I am giving up a thing by moving from Portland.

Even if I loved Portland I couldn't afford to live here without a full-time job. My goal is to live on SS with a part-time job. I can't do that in Portland. My health won't permit me to work full time forever. That is why I am planning ahead so I can drop down to part time in a less expensive city.

Having already practiced how to live as frugally as possible in a high COL city, surviving on SS and a part time job in a less expensive place will not be difficult for me. I am looking forward to it.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,554,912 times
Quote:
I'm 64 now and don't know how much longer I have. The changes I mentioned have been and continue to take place in Oregon. I have cut down drastically on my expenses and that has enabled me to save enough to travel to different cities to scope them out. I live more frugually than ever out of necessity but I don't miss anything I gave up. That isn't an issue with me.

Portland was good for me for many years but no longer. If I were a younger person living elsewhere I still wouldn't make the choice to live here. I don't feel I am giving up a thing by moving from Portland.

Even if I loved Portland I couldn't afford to live here without a full-time job. My goal is to live on SS with a part-time job. I can't do that in Portland. My health won't permit me to work full time forever. That is why I am planning ahead so I can drop down to part time in a less expensive city.

Having already practiced how to live as frugally as possible in a high COL city, surviving on SS and a part time job in a less expensive place will not be difficult for me. I am looking forward to it.
What I have read of your posts, your are a smart woman. You have learned to live frugally and you know how to live without a car. So, with those attributes, you can easily survive. The City of Denver is good place to live if you desire good public transit. It is clean, safe and a relatively inexpensive place to live.

If you really wanted good public transit then you could live in NYC but it is expensive and it would give you much stress.Denver is certainly more relaxing and the weather is much better.

Last edited by livecontent; 04-13-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
What I have read of your post, your are a smart woman. You have learned to live frugally and you know how to live with a car. So, with those attributes, you can easily survive. The City of Denver is good place to live if you desire good public transit. It is clean, safe and a relatively inexpensive place to live.

If you really wanted good public transit then you could live in NYC but it is expensive and it would give you much stress.Denver is certainly more relaxing and the weather is much better.
Thanks! Denver is also on my list. I am considering this an adventure. Luckily I have worked at Voldemort Inc long enough to earn a good chunk of vacation days so I can check out a few more places over the next couple of years.

NYC is fun to visit but you are right it's a bit much for someone like me who is looking for a more relaxed pace.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,056,954 times
All this bemoaning about how places are ruined because of CA moving in. Almost everywhere has an increased population because there's 1/3 more people now than when we were young. And it won't get better because we multiply like rabbits with no foxes. Same problems everywhere.

I plan on finding a place I like without a controlling mass of redneck gun toting gangs in the population and just live my life doing what I like to do. And I'll just adjust to the travails of the world as necessary. There is no perfect place.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,991,724 times
Quote:
I am looking for just about anything. About the only thing I haven't done is retail. I am not good at standing for long periods of time either. One thing people have pointed out to me in my favor, companies now like to hire PT people or temps so they don't have to pay benefits. The company I work for does this; they hire temps from an agency and when their contracts are up they either let them go or transfer them to another department.

I've done office work mostly in the insurance biz although I would dearly like to get out of that. But a job's a job and I will need to supplement SS so that's probably where I will look first. I edited this for another thought. I know there is age discrimination out there but in Portland it is rampant. I never see older people hired in my company for temp, PT or the rare FT jobs. Everywhere I go I see only young people working in any kind of office job. About the only places I have been seeing older people is at the fast food restaurants.

Portland is especially a young person's town. It's good for retirees who have a lot of money becasue there are some nice Senior enclaves throughout Oregon but I can't even dream about being able to afford those.
When I was "between" jobs about 8 yrs ago I went to my local school dept and found a number of classroom asst. jobs, paid $9/hr then, hopefully more now. Because of my physical condition (can't stand long) they assigned me to the homework ctr in the school library, I really liked it a lot and did not take it home with me! At this point in my life that kind of job would be welcome--and I actually love kids even the toughies. If I can do it I would like to take it up again part time. Most school depts have websites with jobs posted.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,653 times
Good posts, all. I tried to rep you all, but I guess I haven't been repping people outside these groups I frequent, so I can't do it! Grrrrr....so frustrating when I want to give you a rep for a good post! Got to find a way to spend more time here! Anyway, great posts, great discussion!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I plan on finding a place I like without a controlling mass of redneck gun toting gangs in the population and just live my life doing what I like to do. ... There is no perfect place.
Tesaje, so I take it you're not flying out to Sheridan, WY for the tea-party this weekend
Sheridan Tea party this weekend
""The Rally is sponsored by Wyoming Gun Owners, Wyoming10A & The Sheridan Tea Party.

We look forward to seeing you there!""

That's OK, I find it takes all kinds (including these) to keep from upsetting the whole applecart.

Having survived 28 yrs on the border w/ Portland, OR, I would love to breath the fresh air of WY (again) and not be hammered into the 'local' form of blindless submission. (which PDX PBS station claims is "Thinking") Ha, different strokes for different folks... I still support 'National propaganda Broadcasting', as I have for 35 yrs. I used to like the 'Winnie-the-Pooh' story hour, enroute to 7AM classes @ Aimless Community College (after a 10 hr night shift). Back in my Colorado days, so very long ago

Life goes on, and as you mentioned... We just get to 'deal-with-it'. Can't really escape in this life (at least not for long)

Admittedly I'm a bit tough on CA, as I had to work under some awful boastful managers from said place, had to endure 'excess' CA 'transferees' who got a free move to our facility, and kept their retained pay (~30% higher) for 2 yrs, then whined SO LOUD that they were gonna get dropped to our wages, that the company dropped our rankings and put the CA transplants on top (who were not good or even qualified workers). Went 7 yrs w/o a raise, after being ranked @ 90%, while being continually taunted by CA transplants for 'working too hard and making them look bad'. But the largest pain was dealing with the property value increases that came with fleeing CA $ (Which I will ALWAYS argue that the RE $ SHOULD have remained in CA to 'protect the west' from unreasonable values and taxes.)
Subsequent taxes have increased ~ 1000%, which costs me $750/ month (the rest of my life, anywhere it the western states) to welcome my CA neighbors.
My grandfather, father, and I have all been forced from our farms due to CA $$ raising taxes. Life is not fair, but it is not fun to spend many yrs working on building a farm (soils, barns, trees, fences, houses, wells...) only to be taxed out.

Oh, well, as said... deal w/ it. (interestingly, the loudest CA transplant whiner is still employed (the only one still remaining) while 22 of us 'locals' have been laid off, some for over 10 yrs now )

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-14-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement