U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 04:36 PM

8,138 posts, read 7,643,924 times

Advertisements

Been doing a lot of thinking about the camping in different cities and I think to solve my solo delima I think hostels might be a better choice. Most are located in areas that are more accessable to a variety of things; plus there should be some interesting people to say good night to.

Hosteling, not only for the youngins. Nice article here:

Hostelling | Maggie Williams – Wanderer

Think I'll start with Ft Lauderdale in Nov. Might even try a hostel in another country, at some point. May do a test drive on two night stay near close to where I'll be visiting friends this summer. None of my friends ever believed I would ever go camping, so I might as well kick it up another notch and try rooming with a group of, more than likely, college kids. Ahhhh, to be frugal, on tight budget and free spirited.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Cool hosteling..... oh yeah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Been doing a lot of thinking about the camping in different cities and I think to solve my solo delima I think hostels might be a better choice. Most are located in areas that are more accessable to a variety of things; plus there should be some interesting people to say good night to.

Hosteling, not only for the youngins. Nice article here:

Hostelling | Maggie Williams – Wanderer

Think I'll start with Ft Lauderdale in Nov. Might even try a hostel in another country, at some point. May do a test drive on two night stay near close to where I'll be visiting friends this summer. None of my friends ever believed I would ever go camping, so I might as well kick it up another notch and try rooming with a group of, more than likely, college kids. Ahhhh, to be frugal, on tight budget and free spirited.
Hosteling..... did that when I was 20 years old, riding a bicycle from Germany to France It was an experience ~ now gimmee a hotel with a private bathroom, and clean bed

Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 PM

433 posts, read 992,028 times
What a good idea, TRosa! I never thought of doing that, although I've walked past the San Francisco hostel many times. It's in a wonderful location, if you ever get to this area:

San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Hostel - San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf Hostel - Features

Old 04-30-2010, 10:43 PM

13 posts, read 48,809 times
Default I'll be the captain!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Yes, we do have to think outside the box -- or on the ship -- or whatever. BUT....WHO is going to steer the ship???
I'll steer the ship!!! I had a Gibson houseboat (1985 - 1991) and became quite the "captain" of JAMAICA DREAM. My reasoning for buying my houseboat was to enjoy a toy I dreamt of as retirement, just in case I didn't live to actually do the retirement thing! Now, nearing my true retirement, I am at a loss of where the heck to retire!!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,241,648 times
Good posts!

I did the whole traveling through Europe thing, too! It was fun, but not sure I could do it like I did before! I remember sleeping outside in Pamplona, Spain, where I was stealthily robbed by gypsies in the middle of the night! However, it was a great three months in Europe, and it will always be a highlight of my life!

A houseboat -- I always wanted to live on one! I remember having a boyfriend in Seattle who had a small "yacht," and it was one of the best summers -- we traveled up and down the Pacific coast and slept anchored at sea with stars so brilliant, it was amazing! Unfortunately, he wasn't as good as his boat! Ha ha!

In the meantime, I have been very busy fixing up one part of my house -- the part that was "omitted" in the contract and the "sun room" flooded. So....since I love before and after photos, here are some of what has just recently transpired -- although now I have to go into all the other rooms were things were jammed in when that room flooded. I thought by now I would be all settled, but not so. However, this was a blessing in disguise because it was an omission, the realtors of both parties, their brokers and the inspector (and me) chipped in and had the walls replaced, the floor replaced, and everything painted (a light lavender). This is what my last several months have been all about! But I still follow the posts, even though I haven't had much time to post, myself.

One of the "Before" photos of the flooded sun room -- wood rot was everywhere, the walls were seeping water during the rains, it was dreadful:

And now for the two "Afters" -- the walls were replaced, new gutters put in, I put in new flooring, and I got that pretty lavender color I wanted on the walls. It is now my "refuge space," and I intend to keep this room Zen-like -- a place to relax and just be peaceful!:

One end of the sun room:

And the other end of the room -- ahhhhh, peace at last!!

And that is what I have been doing lately!

Old 05-01-2010, 02:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Wow Wisteria I LOVE the before and after--I love the new floor, the color of the curtains, and the lovely old red piano. It all really makes a statement. You must love that room!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,036,207 times
Looks really good. I love all the windows and light.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Talking Wisteria ~~

What a bright cheerful room ! Thanks for posting the pics !

Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,912,557 times
Nice grand upright, I've got one of those too (not pink), as well as similar glass paperweights. Actually the sunroom somewhat reminds me of the one at my place in Fla.

I put a daybed in mine, good for naps and reading.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 PM

8,138 posts, read 7,643,924 times
Lovely remodel, I enjoy seeing before and after pics. The redo, makes me long for the old TLC shows. Very nice, now where's that kitty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement