U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,243,209 times

Advertisements

Thanks, to all of you: Newenglandgirl, yes, I do love that room - funny thing about the flooring, though -- I told the person from the company when she came to measure "Just give me something that matches the paneling but very light in tone, and the cheapest you have -- that's the key -- cheapest," and she did a really good job -- I didn't even go and look at what they had because I have such a small budget I needed cheap -- but it really does look nice, and I was quite pleased ; Windwalker - it's nice to have a room with sunlight streaming through, and the cats love laying in the sun and warming themselves; ConeyIslandBabe, you know this area, so you can just picture it in your mind's eye as to where it is!; And Trosa and Sgoldie, you both picked out my two favorite things -- my cats and my glass! It was pretty awful before, but you're all right, it's so nice to have a "pretty" room. Simple, pretty and useful.

SGoldie, how funny -- we must have similar tastes. Like many people, I got my piano for free, and it was already red, but I just put on the black detailing. And I've been collecting glass for years. I just love glass -- something about it sparkling in the light and all the colors and forms just makes me happy. I also have a large collection of them in my office at work, and when clients come by, they often stare through my glass windows at them -- it's sort of like a museum! There was the largest paperweight museum in the world here in Santa Cruz and I used to love to go the lectures and it was like a speakeasy -- you literally had to ring a doorbell to get in! I have cheapo glass mostly (although my daughter would buy me one signed piece for Christmas each year directly from the glassblower). Unfortunately, the people who ran the paperweight museum (they're from New York State, too, originally) recently retired and sold the museum (and all that beautiful glass) to people in Chicago, so that is where it is now....

Now, my project is trying to put the rest of the house together -- when the whole thing flooded, so much was quickly dashed around and tossed throughout the house, that I have piles of things I don't even know what's in them. So, my home is still chaotic, and the next couple of months I am going to take to try to sort that out now. But getting that other room finished and all the negotiations and all was a lot. I am hoping by summer to enjoy walking along the beaches!! Gees, here I am next to the beach, and all my weekends are taken up trying to get things together inside....

But I did at least build a little outdoor patio, since I couldn't really do anything inside for all this time, and made a small garden area for me, that actually you walk into directly from the sun room, so that makes it feel like I have some spaces to be more relaxed. I will be glad when it's all done -- it's taken way too long to get the other house ready, sell it, and then get this one, and all this stuff. I must have some bad planets passing over me!

And the little black kitty is doing just fine! He is so sweet and wants attention so much, that I literally had to get a chair -- with the same kind of cushion I have on mine (because that's where he'd always end up) -- and put it right next to mine, so that I could use the keyboard without him sitting on top of it! So now he lays in his little chair, with his soft cushion, and can rub up against me while I use the computer! He's a sweetie. His name is Bing -- short for his whole name: B.B. Bing!

Good to hear from everyone.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:55 PM

13 posts, read 48,830 times
Default that perfect place

and just where is that perfect place to retire? the more i search the more confusing it gets.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,609,773 times
Wink pokee......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
and just where is that perfect place to retire? the more i search the more confusing it gets.
And that is why we have 316 pages of responses

Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
I was outside a little while ago and re-noticed what a beautiful place my home is. The house itself (self-designed and built in 2001), the trees, older growth-type, things blooming. I was in a bad mood about "here" today because it was 90 and humid today- early May in Massachusetts! I haven't been to work for two weeks due to an injury (See under: Eye-opening Experience) and I have much enjoyed not going to work. I think I should see how living here without full-time work feels before giving any real thought to moving.
As I looked at my yard, I thought, well this could be _____ (today, Montrose, CO) and I'd have a small yard and trees and something similar to what I have now. I'd see big mountains outside of town and there's be little humidity. Is that enough? Every time I've been in Colorado, I've been on vacation. It's so hard to tell where to draw the lines!
If I HAD to move because housing was too expensive, that's different. I have a vague feeling that I belong out West (and just remembered an ill-fated move there in 1978- everything came down on me and felt WRONG the minute I crossed the state line- and it was downhill from there).
Just babbling. When people talk about moving somewhere in retirement, does that presume that they don't like where they are, and are there for reasons that are ending? (Job requirement, kids). Is weather and a view enough of a reason, or am I being simple-minded?
Like many here, if I moved, I'd be going alone. That makes me freer in one sense (no one to cooperate with) and less free (no connection no how nowhere).
Just got an email from a friend in her late 40s who has been a gypsy life- going back and forth between two guest ranches, wrangling and cooking. Last winter she met a man in the southern ranch, and after her summer job obligation, is moving on up to Oregon to join him. It hit be two ways- great that someone finds her companionship/more proof that I'm the only one without. I know, it's babbling, but that is how it feels.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,523,823 times
yes, I do love that room

You should see it in person; it really is the loveliest room, so sunny and warm.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-03-2010, 10:16 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,553,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
...I think I should see how living here without full-time work feels before giving any real thought to moving...
This is the most important thought that you have expressed. For when you stop working, you will start to see your environment differently. What was important, will become less important. What was a task, will become a pleasure. What was fast and stressful to accomplish, will be done in your own slow pace. When you work, you will dread driving through snow; when you have no need to go to work then "let it snow".

I have not worked for about 15 years and I feel that I am living a perpetual summer vacation. It is difficult for me to even remember the feelings of work. My life is different than most, as I stopped working young, in my mid-forties; and I never had the memories of a long career.

I have learned the simple pleasures are the greatest pleasures. I am sitting now in my lazy boy chair with my feet up under the table of my large computer monitor. It is cold tonight in Denver and I am enrobed in my snuggle blanket--just browsing the internet lazily. My small office is cozy and I have a little light on a desk to give a very soft glow.

It is about 10 pm. How long will I sit--as long as I feel, for I have no need to get up and be anywhere on the morrow. I love to read quietly late into the night and I get up, when I get up. I try not to have a schedule and if I need to be somewhere, I put it off later in the day, as I have difficulty getting up because I have to face my constant companion, pain.

When you stop working, you can put off doing what you think you need to do today; and think about doing in the tomorrows; and if the tomorrows never come, you will never have to do it. As you get older, there will be less tomorrows to come; and consequently more what you put off today will never bother you to be accomplished in the vanished tomorrows.

So, you are right on target. Do not make a decision to move, until you have experienced not working for a long time. You may find where you are, the best place to be.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-03-2010 at 10:24 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 PM

4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Brightdoglover, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes I look around on a gorgeous spring day when the trees and flowers are blooming after a long winter and think, geez, this area is so beautiful, how could I ever leave? Then I go to the dog park and get bombarded by gnats who are having a banner season after the wet winter and think, I want to move back to So. Calif. where we didn't have gnats, mosquitoes, humidity and allergies. But then I think, no, my whole family and social life are here. But then I think, ohhhh, what if we have a hot/humid summer...I hate that! Then today I started thinking maybe I should move my elderly mother up here from FL with me, even though I'd probably have to drag her kicking and screaming. One thing I DO think I have decided, and that is that I DON'T want to move to FL with her. Although I think the area she's in is beautiful and I love being near the Gulf, I just think FL full-time is not for me. So that's one decision out of the way.

OK, so now I'M babbling, LOL! But I did want to just tell you I commiserate with your babbling and do the same myself.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 AM

4,408 posts, read 5,931,325 times
Livecontent, yes, I'm in the same situation -- stopped working four years ago after 20+ years with the same firm, due to a chronic pain condition. I do not miss work one iota. Our company, which had been a wonderful place to work, had been acquired in 2000 by a large corporation, and it was never the same after that. In the ensuing years, I had grown to hate the corporate environment. Didn't feel any motivation to "work through the pain" anymore.

I, too, get up late and stay up late. My activities are limited due to the pain, but I still find plenty to keep me busy and occupied, even if it's just sitting on the computer at 2 AM...lol. I, too, find myself appreciating and enjoying such little things -- like the peacefulness of the babbling brook at the dog park, or the view of the treetops from my front window, or the skyline coming into the city....etc. I suppose I never really stopped to smell the roses before...

Last edited by Avalon08; 05-04-2010 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,553,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Livecontent, yes, I'm in the same situation -- stopped working four years ago after 20+ years with the same firm, due to a chronic pain condition. I do not miss work one iota. Our company, which had been a wonderful place to work, had been acquired in 2000 by a large corporation, and it was never the same after that. In the ensuing years, I had grown to hate the corporate environment. Didn't feel any motivation to "work through the pain" anymore.

I, too, get up late and stay up late. My activities are limited due to the pain, but I still find plenty to keep me busy and occupied, even if it's just sitting on the computer at 2 AM...lol. I, too, find myself appreciating and enjoying such little things -- like the peacefulness of the babbling brook at the dog park, or the view of the treetops from my front window, or the skyline coming into the city....etc. I suppose I never really stopped to smell the roses before...
Thank you for sharing. I was so disappointed in many work places that I just walked away from the job. I always tried to live very simply and much less expenses than the money I made--so I would always have to option to tell them "take this job and shove it".

It was much simpler to do since I never got married and never had children. I have felt that I could live in a gutter and it would not matter, as no one depended on me. It was real freedom.

Now that concept of frugality, simplicity and desires for less has served me well, since I cannot work. I have as much money as I need to buy what I want; the point is that I do not want much. I have been able to live on Social Security Disability for 15 years; I can even save money. I have a house fully paid and no debts; and it is a beautiful sunny day here in Denver, what more do I want...

Livecontent

Old 05-04-2010, 12:53 PM

13,322 posts, read 25,578,684 times
Maybe I should move to Denver! Maybe that's the RIGHT place!
Live Content, your name says it all, and I appreciate the feedback of simple pleasures, "flourish where you live."
I just wish the West was a three-hour drive from central Mass, not 2,000 miles. No trip this year, after missing at least four weeks' work from this dog bite (and using up my paid time). Next year, I'll do it. It's the only place I feel like going to the trouble and expense to visit. Was talking to a formerly gypsy friend who said, "I always wanted to go and see, go and see, go and see, now I barely cross the town line." Well, there's always something or place you haven't seen. If it matters enough and you're able, you'll go. If it doesn't matter enough, you won't. I was thinking today about "New England" and what that means to me, especially where I live. A lot of farms, nicely kept old houses or modest ones, horses in fields, farmstands. Good access to medical care and, if desired, Cambridge/Boston. Peace and privacy from neighbors, but not isolation. My dream house, filled with books, artwork and adopted dogs.
I have always loved a good snowstorm when I know I don't have to get on the highway at 11p for my night shift. It's just gorgeous, and the dogs love it so much. The nearby lake glitters, except in the summers, which have been grey and sticky for several years now. (Did I mention I venerate air conditioning?)
Ah, it's so much, if I lived ___, I'd be ____, and feel _____. Dream on, self!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement