U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When people talk about moving somewhere in retirement, does that presume that they don't like where they are, and are there for reasons that are ending? (Job requirement, kids). Is weather and a view enough of a reason, or am I being simple-minded?
Like many here, if I moved, I'd be going alone. That makes me freer in one sense (no one to cooperate with) and less free (no connection no how nowhere).
Well I live in a very bucolic place and it's great in many ways. I feel the pull to move for several main reasons--worry about rising property taxes as my town manages its money poorly and is trying to wrench more out of its homeowners (I am on a very modest income). Also my house is not handicapped accessible and I'm concerned about that in near future. the third reason is that I deplore the long winters (you know what I mean ), they are just too much. But my exploration of the upper South made me realized that unbearable summers will require a.c. which I hate, and not so good for my health (humidity)...plus, though moving "south" puts me closer to one grown child who may someday move away, I would be far far from another one who is permanently settled here. I have to admit that besides these reasons for wanting to relocate, I have a pull to try something really new, to reinvent myself somewhere else. But do not have the means to go around the country trying out places to live--it's one thing to visit, another to know for absolute certain you want to live there ('no connection no how nowhere'). So I keep looking at my own wonderful place with new eyes, trying to come up with solutions for the things that are pulling on me to move. Unlike others more brave, I've not made a move in any direction yet...

Last edited by RiverBird; 05-04-2010 at 05:36 PM..

 
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Reputation: 2141
My reasons for wanting to move purely based on my selfish desires. I grew up in the west and was always active outdoors so I have a long time wish to return. My job is why I spent the last 27 years in the Mid-Atlantic. I have great friends here but no family. Now that I am newly retired, only my house ties me here.

After 4 months of doing whatever I feel like (so great!), I'm now feeling rather scattered. My bucolic yard takes too much time & I still feel like it is a chain. I have a long list of house maintenance/remodeling to do before I can sell the house. So now, I feel like I need to get focused or I'll never get beyond a house that calls out for a ton of work to do.

For now, this place is very pretty but I do need to get into an easier to maintain dwelling. There are so many other things to do and I want to get to doing them. Funny how my attitude changed. Now that I have freedom, the house in the country feels like a chain. When tied down to work, it felt like a bucolic respite.

And now I have go spend some quality time with joint compound & my tractor. Soon as I finish this cup of coffee.

Last edited by Tesaje; 05-05-2010 at 09:25 AM..
 
Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 AM
 
13,322 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Reputation: 20505
I guess weather and rising taxes are drivers to find a new place (in my case, I can't stand the Mass. summers- sticky. Humid. I feel like a prisoner here, even with a/c). The winters here have gotten more and more mild in my experience, plus, winter doesn't bother me. I like the weather between 20-60 degrees, and dry. Good luck on that one! I would only move somewhere that was much drier if I moved for weather.
Taxes on my two-bedroom, 1250sq.ft. house (built new and custom in 2001) on a half-acre, 35 miles from Boston, are now about $375/month. They just went down a bit after years of rising. For all of us, I think taxes and fees are only on the way up- they have to be, with the deficit, etc.
Massachusetts taxes pensions and everything as income. I read that Colorado doesn't tax the first $20K of pensions, not sure if that includes Soc. Sec. or not. Taxing incomes could make a tipping difference in where to live.
Like one poster, I consider that I might be simply unable to live here financially in the future, in which case I have back-up plans. If staying here, a mobile home (as car-dependent as now). If unable to drive, an expensive assisted living community, likely in Mass. I already pay a guy to mow the lawn and take care of the house. Heavens, I even hire a cleaning service. If I could afford a chef, I'd have one. I couldn't find a smaller house- this is small by most standards.
Now, on reinventing oneself as adventure, this I can identify with. I did it more than once when younger. I can understand the desire to test oneself if haven't been able before. But I wonder, is there a way to kind of do it with training wheels? Don't blow up your current situation, which has certain real positives, and go somewhere and rent for a while or visit extended and think about it? I think of what I would have to do to reinvent myself, and, for me, a new place is a daydream. I could do the same things here that I could do there (or would have to do).
More babbling. Or if it's one season that is troubling, maybe find a way to leave for that season or part of it without buying property or moving one's life.
Dunno. Dunno. Nice to be able to have things to consider, eh? Sometimes those choices are whisked away.
 
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
 
Location: DC Area, for now
3,517 posts, read 12,054,907 times
Reputation: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I guess weather and rising taxes are drivers to find a new place (in my case, I can't stand the Mass. summers- sticky. Humid. I feel like a prisoner here, even with a/c). The winters here have gotten more and more mild in my experience, plus, winter doesn't bother me. I like the weather between 20-60 degrees, and dry. Good luck on that one! I would only move somewhere that was much drier if I moved for weather.
Taxes on my two-bedroom, 1250sq.ft. house (built new and custom in 2001) on a half-acre, 35 miles from Boston, are now about $375/month. They just went down a bit after years of rising. For all of us, I think taxes and fees are only on the way up- they have to be, with the deficit, etc.
Massachusetts taxes pensions and everything as income. I read that Colorado doesn't tax the first $20K of pensions, not sure if that includes Soc. Sec. or not. Taxing incomes could make a tipping difference in where to live.
Like one poster, I consider that I might be simply unable to live here financially in the future, in which case I have back-up plans. If staying here, a mobile home (as car-dependent as now). If unable to drive, an expensive assisted living community, likely in Mass. I already pay a guy to mow the lawn and take care of the house. Heavens, I even hire a cleaning service. If I could afford a chef, I'd have one. I couldn't find a smaller house- this is small by most standards.
Now, on reinventing oneself as adventure, this I can identify with. I did it more than once when younger. I can understand the desire to test oneself if haven't been able before. But I wonder, is there a way to kind of do it with training wheels? Don't blow up your current situation, which has certain real positives, and go somewhere and rent for a while or visit extended and think about it? I think of what I would have to do to reinvent myself, and, for me, a new place is a daydream. I could do the same things here that I could do there (or would have to do).
More babbling. Or if it's one season that is troubling, maybe find a way to leave for that season or part of it without buying property or moving one's life.
Dunno. Dunno. Nice to be able to have things to consider, eh? Sometimes those choices are whisked away.
This is why I've been researching small RVs. It could be my wanderlust & relo research solution. I could. My pets along which is a big impediment.
 
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Yesterday I watched out my kitchen window as my 90 year old neighbor got taken away in an ambulance, surrounded by severl of her grown kids. She has not returned. Her house is a big two story and she has lived there alone since her husband's death 10 yrs ago She is VERY independent and positive person. She is my role model in life. Now I think of how maybe she might not have been found if her grandkid didn't stop by as usual. My own mother died alone in her house, just dropped. If my sister hadn't stopped over we might not have known for quite a while. Whatever our plans are as single older women we need to take into consideration who is there for us, who would notice or care if we didn't show up for something. It is a lot to think about while keeping a positive attitude for living our lives and considering moves.
 
Old 05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Reputation: 23772
We can just 'check-in' daily on C-D (That is what 'party line telephones' used to be good for)

Our neighbors have a little flag they hang out each morning to verify they are still alive (at least they were in the morning ). Several of us would hop to their need if the flag was missing. (we are quite rural, so watch out for each other). More likely I'll kick the bucket before they, after all,,, 2010 does have its advantages for being a good yr to croak.
 
Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We can just 'check-in' daily on C-D (That is what 'party line telephones' used to be good for)

Our neighbors have a little flag they hang out each morning to verify they are still alive (at least they were in the morning ). Several of us would hop to their need if the flag was missing. (we are quite rural, so watch out for each other). More likely I'll kick the bucket before they, after all,,, 2010 does have its advantages for being a good yr to croak.
What you don't want to wait around to see all of the action in 2012 ?
 
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We can just 'check-in' daily on C-D (That is what 'party line telephones' used to be good for)

Our neighbors have a little flag they hang out each morning to verify they are still alive (at least they were in the morning ). Several of us would hop to their need if the flag was missing. (we are quite rural, so watch out for each other). More likely I'll kick the bucket before they, after all,,, 2010 does have its advantages for being a good yr to croak.
Great idea on the little flag! Where do they have the flag?
 
Old 05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
Reputation: 23772
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great idea on the little flag! Where do they have the flag?
Winter;
Place flag in the center of a window that is visible from the road

summer;
outside on a porch corner

A lot of the senior co-ops I visited had similar policies.

Since they have indoor hallways, they hang a flag on their doorknob when they are up and around. They have different colors if they want visitors, or if they are ill and want quiet, or if they are ill and want to be checked on.

I'm not counting on much excitement in 2012 , don't think I will miss much, here or there, or anywhere.

Tax avoidance may be a significant challenge, but I'm planning for that too.
 
Old 05-06-2010, 04:44 PM
 
4,574 posts, read 7,063,489 times
Reputation: 4222
My mom, too, just dropped (from her second brain anurism) and it was only because it was my brother's BD and they came over that night to pick her up for dinner, that she was found...even so 12 hours had passed.

And my Dad took his dog out for his usual morning walk, came home, and then had a stroke. I called the neighbors because he wasn't answering the phone (I knew something was wrong even from 2000 miles away) but neighbors said they just saw him a few hours ago walking the dog...so I'm not sure morning flags help all that much. If someone had gone into his house immediately, he might not have had such severe disabilities from his stroke. Of course, I don't blame them...I should have called the police to check on him but everybody kept telling me he was OK. I don't listen to other people any more when it comes to stuff like this.

Anyway, my point being...who knows when, where, how. I am becoming a big fan, however, of those LifeAlert things...anybody have one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top